Blood Magic

its the 70% *.71 *2 = 99.4%
there's also the reduced reserve passives on grid, which is up to -20% from the 70% before the two gems' multipliers come in.
so in order (even though last two can swap positions), 70 *.8 *.71 *2 =79.52%. game doesn't round until it is final result (which in this case is whatever hp/mp pool itself).
Another question, if I have energy shield and have a skill with blood magic will it still take life or will it take energy shield
life, and count as damage as far as the timer for es recovery is concerned.
Both Xapti and Interesting has the gist of it.

Let's go over who can't or don't use this support: CI-users, low-life users (3K under), BM users

Who does this leave left to use such a resource-expensive support that takes already takes up a slot in your socket/link layout?

I don't think I've seen anyone try and use this support. The cost is way too inhibitive, even when leveled high. It's also as expensive as a Spell Totem/Ranged Attack Totem support! The entire premise of this support just doesn't make any sort of logical sense because I can't see anyone using it BUT High-life builds with mana that want to leave some breathing room in their mana pool by transferring some flat-mana auras over to their HP pool. (Which really leaves Templars) Nobody would be sane enough to attach this support gem to an attack/spell. The only other support that acts like Blood Magic is Reduced Mana, and that has none of the costs associated with this support gem.

Granted, I think about every keystone support gem has some sort of cost like Point Blank and Iron Grip with reduced attack speed. However, their cost multiplier is extremely low and the speed penalty goes away as you level it up. However, Blood Magic just completely goes off the scale and into the other end of the balance.

I would rather have BM's cost multiplier lowered to the extent where effects become near negligible, but still with a cost. For example, make it a 160% cost multiplier and every level directly reduces the cost by 2%, making it 120% at lvl 20. The point of this support is that it switches the resource you use to life, but penalizing you own life 2.5x isn't what I call balanced. I implore the GGG devs to take another look at this support gem. As it stands, even at level 20, I can't even begin to use it for my Grace aura on my Ranger. (Not enough life, and mana pool is reserved for Haste.) I'd have to use a Reduced Mana gem in conjunction with BM to bring the cost down, which doesn't make sense either. (Sacrificing 2 more slots for moving an aura over.)
For Ranger build tips, tactics, and critiques, visit this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/69224
Last edited by Islidox on Feb 3, 2013, 12:23:10 PM
Put your (percent-)Auras on Mana, link your attack skill of choice to Blood Magic, get some Leech. The little bit of Mana you have left over should suffice for support skills.
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Put your (percent-)Auras on Mana, link your attack skill of choice to Blood Magic, get some Leech. The little bit of Mana you have left over should suffice for support skills.

That would make my lvl 15 Frenzy cost 42.5 life (17 mana * 2.5). Even with Life Leech, the cost for this skill is twice the amount of my current setup with Faster Attacks, Faster Projectiles, and Mana Leech. (17 * 1.1 * 1.15 * 1 = 21.505) I can get 2 attacks instead of 1 with Blood Magic for the cost. I would also have to sacrifice either Faster Attacks or Faster Projectiles for the Blood Magic. (4L in respect)

You of all people should know that life leech isn't enough to counteract BM; decent Life Regen is also required on top of lots of life. This is why I say no one would be sane enough to put this support with Attack/Spell skills because the cost is way too prohibitive.
Last edited by Islidox on Feb 3, 2013, 1:04:34 PM
"I can get 2 attacks instead of 1 with Blood Magic for the cost."
But you have much more than twice the amount of Life. Yes, it also requires Life and Regen. I kinda assumed that was a given considering we're talking about Blood Magic.

It's invariably most effective when combined with a little bit of Reduced Mana. The Duelist gets cheap access to 20% Reduction. That's quite significant already, since it reduced the base cost, making the increase from BM relatively smaller. There's another 19% RM not far away either.
That's why I'm constantly surprised people dislike Duelists so much. They get pretty swish passives if you ask me. *shrug*
Atm I'm strapped for life. Lvl 59 with 1876 life, and I feel that's nowhere near where it should be. (I'd feel safer with 2.5k life with the increased damage from all mobs.) The other thing that makes this support gem unlikable is that you have to sacrifice a damage support for it. Looking at it this way, it's not worth it even if life/liferegen/lifeleech wasn't a concern.

I will agree that people tend to overlook Duelist's Arcane Efficiency notable. That's so powerful in its own right, and grabbing Steel Skin before it is another added bonus. However, I did not think the RM passives reduced the cost multiplier of supports. Perhaps I was wrong on that assumption?
reduces base which supports then increase. also leveling up this support gem reduces the cost multiplier. if we're talking duelist, they are extremely close to the keystone version of this support, while that removes mana pool, it also removes the "cost" of this support. however that is horribly crippling for using auras.
Isoldox:

BM gem is good for the following setup:

Marauder without BM keystone.
Run Determination, Purity, Vitality, all on mana globe.
Run Grace on health globe.
Max life
Max life regen
All active skills supported by BM gem. Life leech gem is optional, but safer than not.
Life regen is generally > 200hp/sec. Which will cover the cost of the active skills easily. With a life leech gem on the skills as well, you'll be easily in net gain territory to try and cover incoming damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info