Elemental Proliferation

Elemental proliferation definitly got overnerfed by a big amount and I call this nerf "mathematically ignorant".

If you change radius, you have to know that the size of the AOE changes TWOFOLD.

What was the radius of EP before? 24 or 32? I think it rather was 32, this means that a change from 32->12 reduces the AOE by 86%
Furthermore there is a new less damage modifier which increases the nerf to ~90%

Elemental proliferations overall effectiveness got nerfed by 90%. Nice job!

I dont mind it as I play a different character now, but I tell you: you did not nerf, but DESTROYED this support skillgem.

100%sure that after GGG realized their mistake they will change EP again. This balance mistake is too obvious.
Last edited by ExiledRenor on Jul 25, 2015, 4:04:59 AM
+1

I agree, that EP was quite powerful pre-2.0. Probably, it deserved a nerf.

But in 2.0 GGG nerfed it into OBLIVION! AoE get reduced by 85% and serious damage penalty was added too. That's just too much, EP is literally useless now, and that;s almost as bad....
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Long ago people would freeze the whole screen, and people would think "how overpowered!". But then later, people would ignite the whole screen, and people would look back and think "why the fuck bother freezing or shocking the whole screen if we can just kill everything on screen instead?". I feel problems with elemental proliferation were heavily tied to burn damage instead, not the proliferation gem idea itself (or rather I think the original gem proliferation idea in general is cool enough that I want to defend it and make it work [as in right now its utter trash after the nerf]).

But if insisted that burn is balanced (in comparison to shock and freeze) then I will have other suggestion (ie the suggestion below will assume that freeze, burn, shock are all equal)

I think it is a good idea to revert the radius, but make the damage penalty more severe or have a great reduction to status effect duration, which can be slightly counteracted by stacking increased status effect duration nodes on tree which.

Right now the radius is so bad anything moving faster than a generic zombie will escape proliferation range instantly, making it more like slight elemental radiation.
This gem got completely overnerfed. Game balancing of a released game should be about small nerfs/buffs finetuning, so people can atleast continue using their existing character builds. Together with the massive leech nerf on items (+the bugs with elemental leech), I've gone from 3 endgame mapping characters in standard to 0. Happy days. Serves me right for not playing cookiecutter I guess.
"
biyte wrote:
Long ago people would freeze the whole screen, and people would think "how overpowered!". But then later, people would ignite the whole screen, and people would look back and think "why the fuck bother freezing or shocking the whole screen if we can just kill everything on screen instead?". I feel problems with elemental proliferation were heavily tied to burn damage instead, not the proliferation gem idea itself (or rather I think the original gem proliferation idea in general is cool enough that I want to defend it and make it work [as in right now its utter trash after the nerf]).

But if insisted that burn is balanced (in comparison to shock and freeze) then I will have other suggestion (ie the suggestion below will assume that freeze, burn, shock are all equal)

I think it is a good idea to revert the radius, but make the damage penalty more severe or have a great reduction to status effect duration, which can be slightly counteracted by stacking increased status effect duration nodes on tree which.

Right now the radius is so bad anything moving faster than a generic zombie will escape proliferation range instantly, making it more like slight elemental radiation.

I have to disagree, Freezing while screen was OP as fuck, because freeze duration on all enemies was the same to freeze duration on a single enemy it proliferated from. So, bosses freezed just because you freezed low-HP trash mob nearby. I cant call it fair.

Burn Proliferation, on other hand, is completely OK to me. Burn damage WAS dependant on resistance each mob has, and multiple burns didnt stack anyway.
Why it was OP? Just because AoE was a bit too large, and some skills did too powerful burns (Flameblast, Explosive Arrow, Herald of Ash). I even think those OP skills were the core of problem, not burn proliferation itself.

Now proliferation is dead. You could just remove a gem from game, now even Q15+ proliferatiom gems just go to vendor for GCPs.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I just tried prolif using magma orb trap on a 6L sire of shards. It sounded great in theory but it's just awful. Even with 40% increased AOE and avoiding CONC effect you are just waiting and waiting and waiting for the mobs to finally get in range of the proliferation. (100% chance to ignite)

The damage is actually fine. Around 5k with 45% fire penetration was enough for trash in 78s, double curse for bosses/rares to get even more penetration. It's really just the damn "range: 12".

What about even more "less damage" and give it range 15?

Edit: Tested prolif again on fireball+trap and 135% Inc AOE. Radius 12 * 2.35 is around 28 radius. The old prolif had radius 31 at level 20 according to the wiki.
I guess most prolif builds had 40% Inc AOE so the old effective radius was 43, wow.

Now even with that much Inc AOE prolif still feels horrible and covers 20% (guessing here) of the screen at best.
I am not really sure how to use prolif properly at this point. Fireball+Trap inside a 6l sire of shards feels good but the clearspeed is already really slow although I am 12 levels above dried lake cruel. ;)

It seems like you either have good damage or coverage. :/
Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Sep 10, 2015, 9:00:55 AM
12 radius :DDD
i'm wondering if anyone ever going to play an ele prolif build its just so retardedly slow
compared to most builds like wanders bowers etc...
Having not played in a while, it is good to see that all my characters need to have their points re-assigned and all of the builds I worked hard on no longer work. Thanks GGG for reminding me why I stopped playing in the first place.
Gonna leave this question here as well from the 2.1 Manifesto Post

"

We've reduced the area of effect bonuses available in the tree slightly, but increased the base radius of some skills that were smaller than others like Storm Call and Glacial Cascade, as well as any corpse-destroying effects like Detonate Dead and Abyssal Cry.

Seems like AoE-Skills have been reworked. What about Elemental Proliferation? Was it buffed as well to compensate the balances (or even more to make it viable once again!?!) or is it buried in oblivion once and for all?
In acceptance of a bid, plz PM me.

IGN: AdNauseam
It's more a question on ignite in general than on EP, but where to post...

Does the "less damage" modifier on Elemental Proliferation not only reduce the damage from the initial hit but also the ignite damage itself? So - does it double-dip?

Example: a fire hit for 1000 that ignites. With a level 20 EP the hit would only deal 800 damage and ignite for 800/5 = 160 per second. Does the ignite also get the reduction to 160*0.8 = 128 per second?

Thanks for answering!
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info