[3.5] Lewd's Cold Hard CoC Build Guide [Frostbolt/Ice Nova] 2.3M+ Shaper DPS Tanky

Question. Why is Life gain on spells better than Life gain on attack? Isn't Cyclone's attacks per second larger than Cast on Crit's proccing?
"
Slithid wrote:
"
"
Slithid wrote:

Another tip, I personally recommend rushing the jewel slot above witch and the one under the power charge on the right and socketing two of the Frozen Trail jewels. It feels nicer while leveling.

Also, my current flask setup is 1x instant life, 1x instant mana just in case, silver, diamond, and quicksilver. The onslaught from the silver flask is really noticeable for cyclone, and paired with the quicksilver helps movement a lot.

Thanks, I did as you advised and got the two jewels asap. Should I remove one of them later on?

I have the same flask setup as you, only instead of the mana flask I'm using a Sulphur.

Should I take the Opportunistic ascendancy node last?

Later on, based on the OP's build and my understanding of jewels, it'll be more beneficial to eventually replace one of the gems with an jewel that has flat attack speed, attack speed with swords, and max life, but until then running two should be fine.

Sulfur Flask is good if you can keep yourself within the area, but may be difficult to do consistently with Cyclone. I can switch out my own mana flask now that my Warlords Mark is high enough level to outleech my cyclone mana cost.

I would definitely get Opportunistic last. The movement speed is mainly QoL, and we have enough boss damage to delay acquiring that. The crit you get from Ambush and Assassinate is so noticeable, too. Before it, I would often whiff on some packs without diamond flask up, and even then. Now, I crit every pack.

Ok, thanks. I will replace the Frozen Trail later on when I get myself a sweet dps and life jewel.

I didn't mention that I'm running the Sulphur flask only because I have anti-curse and max duration rolled on it from another build. I see OP is using the Wise Oak and a Jade flask for more invasion. I'm considering this myself, but at the moment I'm having fun with the way things are so this can wait.

Is there any point upgrading Warlord's Mark past level 7-8? The leech amount stays the same through levels 1-20. I see only the "grant endurance charge" chance goes up.

I'm also at times in a situation where without the diamond flask up I just hopelessly swirl in a pack waiting for a crit to cast the spells :) Guess I'll be rushing Ambush and Assassinate!
Last edited by NemoRSRB on Dec 19, 2018, 12:23:35 PM
"

Ok, thanks. I will replace the Frozen Trail later on when I get myself a sweet dps and life jewel.

I didn't mention that I'm running the Sulphur flask only because I have anti-curse and max duration rolled on it from another build. I see OP is using the Wise Oak and a Jade flask for more invasion. I'm considering this myself, but at the moment I'm having fun with the way things are so this can wait.

Is there any point upgrading Warlord's Mark past level 7-8? The leech amount stays the same through levels 1-20. I see only the "grant endurance charge" chance goes up.

I'm also at times in a situation where without the diamond flask up I just hopelessly swirl in a pack waiting for a crit to cast the spells :) Guess I'll be rushing Ambush and Assassinate!

I didn't actually realize that about warlord's mark, lol. I'm usually playing spell builds that don't use it and didn't bother actually paying attention to the curse gem, I just assumed it went up with level. In that case, probably not since we don't pick up a ton of strength on the tree.

Yeah Ambush and Assassinate really helps. For the ascendancy order, I recommend Unstable Infusion >> Deadly Infusion >> Ambush and Assassinate >> Opportunistic. The 2% chance you get from Deadly Infusion is a flat 2% crit chance increase, which means increased crit chance you get from gear and the tree is applied after this, which makes this 2% chance way better than it seems.

If OP has any input on this, feel free to correct me. This is just my input from leveling the build and what felt good.
Last edited by Slithid on Dec 19, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
For anyone who is struggling with leveling the build, if you have a bit of currency to start could i suggest Abberath's Hooves with Herald's.
The skill tree for this is very similar to CoC and makes the level process much smoother.
You can always re-sell the gear after :)

Quick question about the belt, finding a decent Cooldown recovery belt is quite expensive, just wondering how vital it is?
I checked many other CoC builds and this is the only one using one.

Thanks
im trying out aspect of cat with this build, seems pretty good so far

Note im just tryna clear maps fast not really tryna kill bosses and stuff, I played a trapper for that and swapped to this when i got bored.
"
shissachan wrote:
Question. Why is Life gain on spells better than Life gain on attack? Isn't Cyclone's attacks per second larger than Cast on Crit's proccing?

It isn't actually, because of the CoC and Cospri's trigger rate being lowered a lot it's pretty hard to get more attacks per second than you would trigger per second.

Even if you are not able to use a Cospri's yet it's still 3 spell hits vs 2 attack hits if you are alternating Frostbolt>Ice nova via a 6l chest.

"
Bearded_Owl wrote:
For anyone who is struggling with leveling the build, if you have a bit of currency to start could i suggest Abberath's Hooves with Herald's.
The skill tree for this is very similar to CoC and makes the level process much smoother.
You can always re-sell the gear after :)

Quick question about the belt, finding a decent Cooldown recovery belt is quite expensive, just wondering how vital it is?
I checked many other CoC builds and this is the only one using one.

Thanks

Abberath's are great for leveling on almost any spell dps based builds. Costly initial investment but like you said can be easily sold after you are done with them.

When I made the leveling section I wanted to make it as bare minimum cost to entry as possible. This was my league starter build. CoC from lvl 38. :)

The belt is very good IF you can get enough attack speed to go below 0.15 attack rate on cyclone. Chances are you will have lower than that while mapping but it'll go to around 0.15-0.16 on single target. It's more of a helper vs Syndicate mobs while mapping. Again though, it is only REALLY good if you can manage to get your attack rate below 0.15 for single target. 20% will lower the cooldown rate on Cospri and CoC gem to 0.12, so 20% is a bit overkill in almost all situations.
Getting enough attack speed on your cyclone to be able to actually utilize a cooldown belt is pretty difficult to do, need attack speed on pretty much everything.

Using loreweave for more defence.
Running the lyco version of the build.

Killed all the guardians and Shaper pretty easily, 1 death on Shaper but that was due to my own mistake/rust.

Tried Uber Elder for the first time with this build, guardians went down EZ deathless but I couldn't manage the actual fight, mostly due to slows into 1-shots + inexperience, but if you have killed him before the damage is definitely there on this build.

Modded the tree a bit for my own use and for more jewel sockets.
https://pastebin.com/PprNSfrm
I know this build is focusing on Ice Nova and Frostbolt but I noticed Vortex also got the same interaction in 3.5 with Frostbolt, too. Has anyone tried Vortex in place of Ice Nova? Is it higher damage?
Does removing one Frozen Trail jewel have any meaningful overall impact on the build? Will it significantly lower the amount of life recovered on hit with spells since there will be less balls?

Regarding the cooldown recovery belt. You mentioned an attack rate of 0.15 or lower. Does this refer to Cyclone's tooltip attack time? I'm currently sitting at 0.21 with increased attack speed on gloves and 2 jewels. This is before Onslaught kicks in. I will get 1 more jewel slot. I know I want to slot in a Watcher's Eye, but I'm not sure if I should replace one Frozen Trail with a %life+attack speed jewel (or %life with any other damage modifiers). What do you say?

I have to say I'm having so much fun playing this build! I often don't even cyclone in maps but just shield charge around and everything blows up. And of course the AESTHETICS :) Herald of Ice with the Celestial herald MTX is so damn beautiful.

Edit: Just noticed you made an alternative Cospri's setup. Is this better? How is the DPS? Don't currently have the cooldown recovery belt, but in the next couple of weeks would like to get one together with a Watcher's Eye jewel.
Last edited by NemoRSRB on Dec 20, 2018, 1:26:20 PM
"
shissachan wrote:
"
StyleEngine wrote:
"
nuoclanh wrote:
Can we use ice nova on Cospri and ice nove on armor at the same time ?
I saw them cooldown at the same time.
Should we use 4 skills instead ?

Yes, you should slot ice nova both in your weapon and chest. Also swap out elemental focus and fit in frost bolt. You can massively boost up the damage of this by putting ice Nova and frost bolt into your cospri and chest setups. Frostbolt makes you cast ice nova twice.

For people asking weather it could handle all endgame? No. You will die alot. Be it one shot or one big slam by endgame bosses. If you want to do all content and safe, you will need a different setups.

I'm also playing a similar build using Carcass Jack freezing pulse + ice nova for general mapping up to T16 Elder Ugs.

Is the damage increase really that big to outweigh the elemental focus loss? I know you can fit that on a second Cospri for dual wielding but with just one is it an actual dps increase to replace EF for Frostbolt?

Is there a way to calculate this in PoB or something? I'm trying to figure out if putting a frostbolt on the chest is a true dps increase.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info