Haste

Why would you not just use grace, determination, every single elemental damage aura, discipline or purity instead?
Honest Question.
Zaanus:
Global chat: Mechanics for A work one way, B for another, C for a third but also with A, B uses C but not A, and D uses A&B but not C

___
Isn't a "no" better than an ignore?
"
UnDeaD_CyBorG wrote:
Why would you not just use grace, determination, every single elemental damage aura, discipline or purity instead?
Honest Question.

You can use more than one aura, in fact you can use almost all of them if you do an eldritch build and you can use around 3 even without it. Haste seems like a pretty good damage aura, Zombies attack super slowly so giving them elemental damage isn't that much of a damage increase most of the time I think. With that said it's a dex gem so it's annoying to level up on a witch imo, you can grab the 2 +30dex around when you're unlocking minion stuff but that might not be worth it. I was running Clarity Purity Discipline myself on my summoner this HC race, Clarity makes it ok to have a very low mana pool, Purity is great when you don't have very good gear for Merciless and Discipline is great in general but especially with ES and it also makes your summons a ton tankier as long as you don't stand too far from them which is great.
lets be honest, the aura costs to much compared of the effect. but is it true i heard they will add 10% movement speed to the aura on open beta? then it would be great :) but if even they noot add any movement speed to the aura, they should make it that the speed goes up with the lvl's like 0.5% speed per lvl, at lvl 20 it should be 20% atack speed an cast speed
At the very least, having it do nothing but increase radius on level-up is retarded. Give it something on each level. Having the speed increases lower on start (with movement speed mixed in) would be a fine fix.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
At the very least, having it do nothing but increase radius on level-up is retarded. Give it something on each level. Having the speed increases lower on start (with movement speed mixed in) would be a fine fix.

+1 I agree. I've been using it on my summoner witch and keeping it at level 1 or 2 or something. I have the increased aura area of effect passives which makes leveling this gem not really that worthwhile.
Julius's path of exile wine bundle for mac here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/48708/page/1
I'm using the ability in open beta and I am still incredibly underwhelmed. I picked it up given my experience with RPGs, and even WoW. I love increased attack speed but the effect of haste is so minimal I can't justify the mana.
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgQBEdUS4RRSFx0YTRjbGlUbqhvILIUs6TIJNJM26D96QzFDnFeXWhpeE2BBYEthIWFSY3Bko2VNZ4Bqk21Kbml07XTxeEl6736agTqDfITviO2QCpstm4OeuaLqqAe2Qb6nwA_EuNX43Q3fb-_j_ZM=

It's possible that my particular character design is not meant to benefit from haste, but it should affect dps relatively equally. My haste is rank 8 (highest rank I can have at 48) and gives 9% attack speed and 8% cast speed. So lets give some stats.

Spoiler

Dps:
W/O Haste: 369.9 W: 392.7 delta: 22.8

Attack/Sec:
W/O Haste: 2.75 W: 2.92 delta: 0.17

Dps w/ 4Frenzy:
W/O Haste: 419.6 W: 441.2 delta: 21.6

Attack/Sec:
W/O Haste: 3.12 W: 3.28 delta: 0.16

Mana: 412 Reserved: 169

Now let's do some comparisons.

Spoiler

W/ Hatred(12) (w/ 30% bonus cold): 435.3 delta: 65.4 Mana Reserved: 127
W/ Anger(12) (no bonus): 441.7 delta: 71.8 Mana Reserved: 116
W/ Wrath(9) (no bonus): 422.4 delta: 52.5 Mana Reserved: 98

Hatred&Haste: 462.2 delta: 92.3 Mana Reserved: 296
against Hatred W/O Haste: delta: 26.9 MR delta: 169
Hatred&Anger (normal set up): 507.0 delta: 137.1 Mana Reserved: 243
between the two set ups delta: 44.8 MR delta: -53

Hatred&Anger&Haste: 538.4 delta: 168.5 Mana Reserved: 412
against Hatred&Anger W/O Haste: delta: 31.4 MR delta: 169
Hatred&Anger&Wrath (high dps): 559.6 delta: 189.7 Mana Reserved: 341
between the two set ups delta: 21.2 Mana Reserved: -71

Conclusions:
Haste, while a dps increase, is a much smaller decrease than several other auras. On top of that those said auras provide a higher dps increase at a smaller mana reservation. I do keep haste socketed to keep leveling it up in the hopes that there is some upper threshold of dps where haste becomes worthwhile but at this point I'm extremely disappointed with my choice over grace. Grace for the same reservation cost would nearly double my evasion rating. It is also worth pointing out that 9% increased attack speed is equivalent to 3 of the low end skill talents, and at least one skill point is worth 15% attack speed. There are easy ways to replace haste's current effect, without a simple correlation for the elemental auras.
Well the point of haste is it gives attack speed, AND movespeed, AND cast speed. If you don't make use of the cast speed though, I'd say it's not a good aura, which is potentially an issue. Attackspeed is a lot easier to find and as such as a weaker value, and movespeed while nice, isn't being boosted enough by the aura to be of importance. The cast speed however is fairly big in comparison to passives. If you end up casting quite a few spells even as an attack based char(totems and curses mostly), then I think it's a pretty strong aura. If you never cast spells, it's fairly bad. If you only cast spells, it's alright. Not too many damage auras for casters othen that Hatred if you use EK. Arguably not much of a need for them either but eh.
I can use Hatred and gain +30% dps and slow enemies, at the cost of 30% reserved mana

OR I can use Haste and gain less than 6% dps increase with no utility attached, at the cost of 40% mana reserved

Why is Haste so ridiculously overpriced?
"
Laeron wrote:
I can use Hatred and gain +30% dps and slow enemies, at the cost of 30% reserved mana

OR I can use Haste and gain less than 6% dps increase with no utility attached, at the cost of 40% mana reserved

Why is Haste so ridiculously overpriced?

Well for one you're comparing a lvl 1 aura with a lvl ~12 one. Hatred gives 15% at lvl 1, or haste gives up to 14%attack/castspeed. Then I think you're slightly(very?) mistaken on how much Hatred gives. It adds a part of your PHYSICAL dmg as COLD dmg. That means that unless your damage is purely physical, and the mob you're hitting has 0 cold resist, you're not actually adding DPS at the same rate as the gem gives you. Hatred won't increase your DPS by 30% in most cases when it converts 30% physical. It might in some cases but not that often.

Haste also provides movement speed but most importantly it provides both attack and cast speed, which is valuable when you use both. Sadly there's little point in using attack speed% in a caster build, but the contrary isn't true, many attack based builds use spells like totems and curses which are affected by the castspeed% too.

Auras aren't meant to be compared to each other directly unless they do exactly the same thing which isn't the case here. Haste will benefit some builds more than Hatred would on some builds. Especially anything with fast weapons or that's spell based(other than EK). Hatred does nothing on those spells. It is however better most likely on 2H slow weapon builds and probably on EK too.
they'll also benefit each other well (if you have physical in first place for hatred to boost).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info