Why did the masters betray us?

First thing: The Masters didnt betray you. If you play the League you are a new and fresh Exile that doesnt know who the old Forsaken Masters are.

The whole Betrayal mechanic revolves around Jun hunting down Catarina that stole a very dangerous and powerfull Item. How did Catarina steal it? Because on of the Members of Juns order that guarded this Item BETRAYED her.

"
Yogoff wrote:
First thing: The Masters didnt betray you. If you play the League you are a new and fresh Exile that doesnt know who the old Forsaken Masters are.

The whole Betrayal mechanic revolves around Jun hunting down Catarina that stole a very dangerous and powerfull Item. How did Catarina steal it? Because on of the Members of Juns order that guarded this Item BETRAYED her.

The first thing I already got from reading the thread, don't worry.

But the main reason seems to be a little... off, doesn't it?

Just because some of Jun's pals got something that Cata wanted and she moved to take it from them shouldn't involve us, as exiles who seek the Masters help. As long as we don't meddle with anything involving Jun and her akhara (and again, why should we?), it should be the same as always.

The only way this would change is if we agreed to help Jun in any way; but then again, only THEN would Cata and the others turn against us, and we see that it happens beforehand any of the help requirement "has happened".

The timeline is messy, to say the least, and it also doesn't make any kind of sense.

EDIT: One more thing: Even if we counted the whole scenario as logically sound, it would still fail to acknowledge why the OTHER Masters betray us too. As far as I reckon, this whole conundrum seems to involve only Jun and Catarina.
Last edited by SigmaBlack on Mar 3, 2019, 2:30:45 AM
So that we can have a betrayal expansion.
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How will POE2 and POE coexist?
What an irony about how GGG put a lot of work, time and money on something that 95% of players do not give a f%ck about because we are lazy to search every piece of info across the world and beyond. So this said...maybe short vids or in-game comics would worth more the work, time and money? I guess they picked this way to give us the lore as more original and like a guy wrote above "its grinding gear game so we gotta grind for info too", but not worth and cant be appreciated enough.
Slow down for a minute to enjoy the beauty around us.
For tier one rolls on Elder and Shaper items?
So... basically no reason at all, from what I gather of your responses.

Marvelous, that's just f*cking great.

=_=

PS: Thank you for your help people, at least you tried to help and I appreciate it :)
I suppose Masters have been retconned as being always bad guys, not good guys who betrayed us.
"War's over, soldier. You just don't know it yet. Everybody lost."
"Betrayal" has multiple meanings in PoE's context.

In a meta-sense, the Masters are betraying us, the player. This meaning is mostly just to set the tone for a major change in what characters we meet in the game.

Game mechanics wise, the Syndicate largely revolves around allowing the syndicate members to betray each other which is a huge part of the league mechanic.

Story-wise, many of the Syndicate members betray their own ideals and allegiances to join the Mastermind's cause. In addition, Jun was betrayed personally by Janus and her family was killed as a result. Janus also betrayed the Perandus family and is even marked as a traitor.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info