Lancing Steel Versus Shattering Steel.

So far at a level 48 I don't have any complaints with Shattering Steel. It takes me a long time to get through the Betrayal League stuff but maybe it's supposed to be that way with any skill. If it is underpowered then it is just by a little bit, in which case maybe they'll fix it in a future patch. But I have a feeling the people that are complaining just aren't using it correctly.
Builds
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2149153
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2245701
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2664371
Shaper Guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2252008
"
0piate wrote:
So far at a level 48 I don't have any complaints with Shattering Steel. It takes me a long time to get through the Betrayal League stuff but maybe it's supposed to be that way with any skill. If it is underpowered then it is just by a little bit, in which case maybe they'll fix it in a future patch. But I have a feeling the people that are complaining just aren't using it correctly.

I think it's slightly underpowered, but at the same time it seems pretty good at both clear and single-target but not elite at either? So versatility in lieu of raw power.
They should come up with a third "steel" skill that favors Sword&Board. Maybe a defensive bonus for your shield or something.
"
ZACHWILDCAT wrote:
This is why I mentioned at the start of the post on the two skill descriptions should be reversed. They want you to play super close with shattering but give you a tag of up to 100% more damage the further the projectile.

It makes sense from the balance standpoint, if it didn't scale that way it would be either useless at range or too good up close. They wanted a skill that can shotgun but isn't broken.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
I tried both of the skills and was not impressed by Lancing Steel at all. On the opposite, Shattering Steel is amazing for single target, fine for AoE and levelling. SS + GMP + Point Blank is way to use it as melee skill.
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
"
I tried both of the skills and was not impressed by Lancing Steel at all.

Yeah, it's kinda clunky. Maybe it needs playstyle adjustment.
Shattering Steel is so much easier to get used to and play efficiently.

"
SS + GMP + Point Blank is way to use it as melee skill.

I'm not sure GMP is all that good here.

I mean, additional projectiles from Grelwood Shank/Beltimber Blade are awesome, but even with just 3 clear speed feels good as long as you have some source of Pierce.

And unless you're fighting suuuper large boss, it's unrealistic to shotgun with more than 5 proj without trying too hard to get perfect position.

So maybe LMP before you get add proj swords.
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
Last edited by Sarganis87 on Dec 13, 2018, 5:59:37 PM
"
I mean, additional projectiles from Grelwood Shank/Beltimber Blade are awesome, but even with just 3 clear speed feels good as long as you have some source of Pierce.

I actually want to try out those two swords with the new skills....sadly though Grelwood Shank is a bit expensive at the moment. I will have to wait out for the the market to saturate a bit more for the price to drop within my price range.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Dec 14, 2018, 12:24:37 AM
I leveled up using Shattering Steel. Switched to Lancing Steel as soon as I got it. I've tried at a couple of points switching back to Shattering, and just did not like it compared to Lancing. Can one of ya'll please explain to me why you prefer Shattering over Lancing? I have faster clears, better single target and better survivability with Lancing.

My links are Lancing Steel/Vicious Projectiles/Brutality & Life Gain on Hit in a Lioneye's Vision body armour. Currently waltzing through Act 9, having zero difficulty with my Syndicate or the story mode. All of my gear is self found, except the Lioneye's, I bought that.

My character profile is shared so feel free to critique, if needed.
I am quite frequently not so miserable as it would be wise to be - T.H. White

As playtime approaches infinity, access to content approaches unity.
- Azraeil (2014)
Well I'm done with this skill for now and the character I made it on. Completed all the guardians, and shaper but I don't think Uber Elder would happen. Will try a reroll of it in the future and see the benefits of a Champion.
Fuck impale go ele overload and face shotgun bosses with 2-3 mill with crap gear. Impale doesn't do shit when you're one shotting everything, physical is still a joke ele overload is strictly superior.

Physical doesn't have pen, with combustion getting around 60 pen isn't hard without curses. Physical is so bad I can't believe you people are even talking about impale.
Meta = cattle

-ty men
Last edited by I0wa on Dec 14, 2018, 4:25:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info