3.5 Abyssal Summoner guide

"

I always played tanky builds that deal consistent damage too (like molten strike jugg and pre nerf nekro solar guards-Tukohama with a lot of block chance)...Between this build and your other zombie-skele build, which one is better for endgame? what are the differences or pros/cons side to side in both of your builds?...And most important for me, which one is the most tanky build? cause I really dont like dying in this game...

Neither build is a true tank, but the physical / baron based one has much better defenses, damage mitigation and easier conditions to maximise your damage. It has enfeeble permanently, space for a shield if you wish to give up minion speed, much more life and armour, immortal call, more life regen, which also makes the build waaaaay better for lab runs. Add to that your minions have more health, armour and resists, making the physical damage build your best option if you like tanky.

Also since all your damage is physical it works vs all content and doesn't need to account for EE or enemy resists

This version sacrifices a bit of consistent defences for the spell dodge and spell block, which is great, but definitely cannot guarantee you a death free time. This build also has
- projectiles minions = more pleasant clearing and breaking the furniture, plus the option to project your damage further away from you = slightly easier to play slow and safe.
- less button pushes and longer phasing for faster clears, and even easier kiting / item collecting
- A higher threshold for maximum DPS at a lower cost. In other words, the other build gets you to the max DPS with 2 X 6 links. This build gets you there with 1 X 5 link, 1 X 6 socket and 11 X decent jewels, and the max DPS is almost double if all conditions are met (this one also has the chance to shock)
Last edited by grimlock9999 on Dec 6, 2018, 8:12:37 PM
In your POB link the ascendency point distribution is not complete, between Mof sacrifice and Puppet master which one you will choose?
"
In your POB link the ascendency point distribution is not complete, between Mof sacrifice and Puppet master which one you will choose?

Puppet master is my favourite. Minion duration, speed and damage all suit the build.
Hey there, very well-written build. Manages to captivate and incite curiosity really well, and the structure is amazing. Adding actual item links would make it perfect.

I have two questions. I've been Spectring for a very long time, done a lot of stuff with them, most of it was out of sheer stubbornness (like intentionally doing the 20/20 Uber Elder challenge with Solar Guards alone, with zero other summons, not even an AG, like doing HoGM without SR/FB with spectres - was very fun to do back in the Wickermen days, and finally even getting a #1 Necro spot in SSF Bestiary Flashback event). But I've always wanted to try out a proper Skellie build. So the questions are:

First is regarding the build: could you please explain the Blood Magic in your helm links? What purpose does it serve, won't something like Empower for levels and beefiness of those utility summons be better?

Second is a slightly more wide question: which skele-based summoner would you recommend to fit my specific criteria, which are slightly different from the ones you've described, but not that much:

1. Even though I intend to have 'builds on the side', I always prefer to take my league starter to 100, with it being my 'main'. So between this build and the pure physical variation, which one has a better balance between ease of league-start leveling/atlas completion and the capability to chain-farm T16s in brainless mode without that much risk of losing several hours of progress in one death?

2. I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask it anyway: given the player has experience with end-game bosses, is any of the variations better for things like UE/UA?

3. HoGM. Can any of the variations do it in relatively reliable fashion?

Thanks in advance, hopefully you have the time to answer this before the league starts (or before you go to pre-league sleep!) and good luck in the new league.
"
finally even getting a #1 Necro spot in SSF Bestiary Flashback event

Congratulations!

"
First is regarding the build: could you please explain the Blood Magic in your helm links? What purpose does it serve, won't something like Empower for levels and beefiness of those utility summons be better?

Blood magic makes carnage and host chieftans cast their spells more often. It means power and frenzy charges are up faster on new minion summons, and reliably in long fights. It's worth about 30% more damage, which no other 3 gems can match, so worth the effort to summon them, and spend the link on blood magic.

"
Second is a slightly more wide question: which skele-based summoner would you recommend to fit my specific criteria, which are slightly different from the ones you've described, but not that much:

1. Physical skeletons have better defences. Choose that if aiming for 100.

2. Uber atziri is made for skeletons. Really easy fight.

Uber elder is harder.. we have low max resists in both builds, so definitely don't aim to farm this boss. Our defenses just aren't good enough to shake off a misclick or two. On the plus side, your damage output remains high even when dodging, so it can be done deathless if you know the fight.

3. Hall of the grand masters I have no experience with. Better players have said minions die too often, too quickly so avoid that fight.

So for uber elder and hogm, the phantasms and zombies without high life are not ideal. My builds will always sacrifice a little bossing power for laziness. Therefore, perhaps a pure skeleton or pure zombie build is better, and a HoA build would likely be better still?
For example, check out Clooneys champion HoA facetank minotaur. It seems life gain on hit is better than dodge.
Mr. Grimlock!

Another well done guide and clearly explained build!

I won't even try to resist the temptation to start another witch while following your guide.

GL & HF to us all in the new league!
binaryreed
I played pure Soulwrest last league with a 2nd in a weapon swap for ST. I'll probably give it a go with this, since I like skeletons and that takes care of needing a second staff.

I saw Soulwrest mentioned a few times in streamer videos, so it's probably not as 'unknown' as it was for the first half of last league. I'm still pretty optimistic they'll be affordable. Don't know if it was one of the items that had its drop rate changed.
hello im using your build this league and was wondering does Blood drinker in the skill tree effect minions in any way? or why are you getting it? if so could you tell me thanks!

Also on another note how do you counter chaos damage? or is it just with the spell dodge?
Last edited by deyalord on Dec 9, 2018, 2:05:26 AM
"
hello im using your build this league and was wondering does Blood drinker in the skill tree effect minions in any way? or why are you getting it? if so could you tell me thanks!

Blood drinker is 5 nodes for a bit of dexterity and 400 life (it does nothing for your minions). It's optional, as there are plenty of other nodes you could choose instead.

"
Also on another note how do you counter chaos damage? or is it just with the spell dodge?

I ran with a mings heart ring, and pantheons which avoid damage over time, and was very strong vs chaos.
Last edited by grimlock9999 on Dec 9, 2018, 3:46:37 AM
Mr. Grimlock!

I'm highly enjoying work on this build. It seems that arc wasn't nerfed, and since it dropped, I'm happily using it while leveling to make life miserable and short for groups of enemies. Fireball was the first gem to drop for The_Thing_With_Feathers, and for want of gear with lots of the right-colored gem slots, I'm still using that too. Don't know which I like better.

It's only day three of the league, and I'm already almost part way through Act 3! I just need to finish Act 2 first!

Hillock is a pillock!

Sincereyly, your ancient noob,

binaryreed
binaryreed

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info