3.5 Abyssal Summoner guide

"
Mr. Grimlock!

I'm highly enjoying work on this build. It seems that arc wasn't nerfed, and since it dropped, I'm happily using it while leveling to make life miserable and short for groups of enemies. Fireball was the first gem to drop for The_Thing_With_Feathers, and for want of gear with lots of the right-colored gem slots, I'm still using that too. Don't know which I like better.

It's only day three of the league, and I'm already almost part way through Act 3! I just need to finish Act 2 first!

Hillock is a pillock!

Sincereyly, your ancient noob,

binaryreed

Hey Binary, arc is always nice up to about level 55, when your skeletons get supercharged by the second ascendency. At that point, arc falls off rapidly.

I've been trying out the new totem gem giving +2 to number of totems, and it makes our srs totem option very smooth and safe as well!

Some advice: Use any jewellers orbs you find on the +1 minion helm you have, until it gets 4 sockets. Then use fusing orbs until it gets 4 linked. Skellies + minion damage + melee physical + melee splash (or ruthless or multistrike) in that bad boy will kill bosses faster than arc.

then, identify as many rare boots as you can, until you get movement speed. It is better than any other stat in the game!
Hey, I played your Skele/Zombie build last season and had lots of fun. So I have some questions about this one (I hope they are not too stupid).

Would you recommend going the Zombie route for league start since Soulwrest is 2-3 ex right now?
How do we trigger EE? Is Bubonic Trail reliable (and relaxed) enough for that?
Can we use Phase Run with Mon'treguls or is Shield Charge + Fortify the better option?
Last edited by entweder on Dec 10, 2018, 4:39:19 AM
Thank you, Mr. Grimlock!

Your advice is much appreciated. When the time comes, what kind of fire spell do you recommend for proccing Elemental Equilibrium? Or does it matter? Or is it enough, and do I dare, to Flame Dash at the bad guys for that purpose?

I'll be happy to let the minions do more of the heavy lifting after I get through cruel Labyrinth. I think they might be smarter than I am! They at least don't get as tired as I do and misclick!
binaryreed
"
Would you recommend going the Zombie route for league start since Soulwrest is 2-3 ex right now?

If you can't get or don't want to get a soulwrest, I actually found self cast SRS better than zombies (without move speed zombies do less work for you). The SRS have longer range, and you can really push your cast speed up if you want to... something like this: https://pastebin.com/kbGHvXkZ

I'm playing SSF at the moment and have found totem SRS very pleasant with the new totem support gem. You get 20 of them up easily. I'm just testing at the moment, so not sure if the damage can get high enough for it to actually work, but they might be a good support for your skellies.

Another option is to go spectres. Wraiths, undying evangelists, undying ravagers, bone husk, fighting bull, slashed miscreation, kitavas herald or sandworn slaves would synergise with hatred aura. (I'd go sandworm slaves or kitavas herald)

"
How do we trigger EE? Is Bubonic Trail reliable (and relaxed) enough for that?

I left a gem slot for a fire spell if you want to use EE regularly (maybe try the new brand spell?). I never used it cos I try to push as few buttons as possible. Damage was fine even in red maps, so the main reason we have it is for super high health bosses like minotaur. In this case, we can proc it by flame dashing through or desecrating near him and running past, neither will be too painful for single targets. As such, flame dash would give the best mix of defenses and proccing EE, and would allow you to use atziris step boots, which I like a lot.

I have also tested a desecrate bodyswap combo, which is good movement defenses, speed of clearing, and proccing EE.

"
Can we use Phase Run with Mon'treguls or is Shield Charge + Fortify the better option?

Short answer: you can use both, it's just preference.

Long answer:
I personally think the defenses of phase run are way better than fortify. 4 seconds of 50% of monsters ignoring you (used to be 80%!!) is just so good. Fortify only calculates the damage mitigation on hits, and after all other reductions, so it's 4 seconds of, on average, about 10% damage reduction, but only on hits. And you have to get close enough to hit for it to work.

Now as to the movement part. Instant cast, then 4 seconds of move wherever you want and cannot be blocked is waaay better than one movement in one direction, which then needs you to take another action to move again.

Of course if you really want to have fun, flame dash + CWDT cannot be beat!
"
When you enter an area, press desecrate, then flesh offering twice. This gets you 18 spectres that last 30 seconds. Most maps are done in under 3 minutes, so you will have to repeat this about 6 times.

Sorry to noob it up, but how does a desecrate and 2x flesh offerings provide me with 18 spectres?
Thought it will be great build for this league.. :D but Soulwrest cost so much 2,5 ex right now.. look like I am gonna skelly/zomb to T15 :D
Last edited by Annuvin on Dec 10, 2018, 10:41:55 AM
"
Sorry to noob it up, but how does a desecrate and 2x flesh offerings provide me with 18 spectres?

Well spotted: I wrote this wrong, it should be desecrate + flesh offering twice = 4 quick spells.

Desecrate is linked with spell echo or spell cascade to make more corpses. ( I use spell echo for cast speed as well) Flesh offering consumes 9 of them. Do this twice for 18, or 3 times for 20 phantasms. You can then take take increased duration ascendency points and nodes from the tree for about 40 second phantasm duration (130% incresed minion duration X 15 sconds)
Wow, cool!
binaryreed
"
grimlock9999 wrote:
"

Well spotted: I wrote this wrong, it should be desecrate + flesh offering twice = 4 quick spells.

Desecrate is linked with spell echo or spell cascade to make more corpses. ( I use spell echo for cast speed as well) Flesh offering consumes 9 of them. Do this twice for 18, or 3 times for 20 phantasms. You can then take take increased duration ascendency points and nodes from the tree for about 40 second phantasm duration (130% incresed minion duration X 15 sconds)

Another noob question Grim - the "desecrate + flesh offering twice = 4 quick spells" thing only happens with the Soulwrest right? I'm trying to work out if you can do this without a Soulwrest but my tiny mind is failing!
"
krookra wrote:

Another noob question Grim - the "desecrate + flesh offering twice = 4 quick spells" thing only happens with the Soulwrest right? I'm trying to work out if you can do this without a Soulwrest but my tiny mind is failing!

yes, you cant summon phatasms like this without soulwrest

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info