3.5 Abyssal Summoner guide

"
grimlock9999 wrote:

Yes, the damage on your minions can vary a lot based on your jewels. The damage also goes down if you have not ticked frenzy and power charges, flesh offering, used a minion skill recently and elemental equilibrium. The jewels section of this guide has some rough estimates of the damage loss from good vs low rolls on jewels.

I'll have to look at that section again. Hopefully with better jewels I can get around 200K per skeleton, and maybe LMP>GMP for uber elder since the arena is kinda small anyway and there aren't too many adds. Only thing is I wish we could use Kaom's roots for the fight... Also you think Flesh>Bone offering for bosses? Bone offering really helped for skeles dying in maps.

One thought is that I actually think using 2 frenzy chieftains for bossing is better than 1 power 1 frenzy for getting more consistent dps. If you remove power charges you loose about 5% dps while removing frenzy charges looses like 30% dps. In a practical fight, you are re-summoning things all the time as they keep dying to the boss - having 2 frenzy guys means the skeles spend more of their lifetime attacking with 3 frenzy charges. Plus, if you're running 1 power 1 frenzy and the frenzy guy dies (uber elder can definitely one shot them if they're hanging around the wrong spot) then you loose a huge amount of dps and the fight is way to hectic to re-summon spectres. This way you'll have a better chance of keeping frenzy charges for a long fight.

"
binaryreed wrote:

Wow, major bosses going down with this build! Congrats to the underwater poet!

Yep, this build definitely has the potential to do bossing. I'm hoping to take every big scalp this league - only have uber elder and uber atziri left (mastermind was VERY hard haha). With my current gear corrupted shaper guardians are pretty easy to do deathless and shaper too - the biggest danger is honestly falling asleep at the wheel and eating a shaper slam or something. Definitely the strongest build I have ever played, although I haven't played that many.
"
I'm hoping to take every big scalp this league - only have uber elder and uber atziri left (mastermind was VERY hard haha). With my current gear corrupted shaper guardians are pretty easy to do deathless and shaper too

Amazing! Well done! I've never gotten nearly that far in this game. Now that I got pretty much all the armor Grimlock suggests along with the weapon, I'm impressed at how easy and quick mapping has become. When all twenty phantasms are out looking for blood, most monsters and even bosses go down quick and hard.

My problem, now that I can survive in maps, is finding maps of higher levels. Only one tier-eight has dropped so far, and a few tier-seven ones. I guess I'm going to have to read up on how to use sextants. I have the idea that they can help get more useful maps to drop, but I've yet to come across an explanation of how to do that that made any sense to me.

binary
binaryreed
"
Hopefully with better jewels I can get around 200K per skeleton, and maybe LMP>GMP for uber elder since the arena is kinda small anyway and there aren't too many adds.

This is definitely possible for stationary bosses. Leave out any multiple projectiles. Swap in added cold.

"
Only thing is I wish we could use Kaom's roots for the fight...

Tough to lose phase run, but it's possible if you use a phasing flask and put hatred in a ring ...

"
Also you think Flesh>Bone offering for bosses? Bone offering really helped for skeles dying in maps.

I now also think bone offering is better for all situations. in betrayal GGG ramped up the damages, so it's now too likely that unprotected minions get 0 damage off before they die.

"
One thought is that I actually think using 2 frenzy chieftains for bossing is better than 1 power 1 frenzy for getting more consistent dps. If you remove power charges you loose about 5% dps while removing frenzy charges looses like 30% dps. In a practical fight, you are re-summoning things all the time as they keep dying to the boss - having 2 frenzy guys means the skeles spend more of their lifetime attacking with 3 frenzy charges. Plus, if you're running 1 power 1 frenzy and the frenzy guy dies (uber elder can definitely one shot them if they're hanging around the wrong spot) then you loose a huge amount of dps and the fight is way to hectic to re-summon spectres. This way you'll have a better chance of keeping frenzy charges for a long fight.

I agree with all of this, and have extensively tested this on a physical skeleton build, and found no difference if you leave out the host chieftans. I found exactly what you say: more frenzy charge spectres means faster full charges if resummoning a lot.

However, My belief is that the power charges on this build do more than the 5% damage for both offence and defence: defensively, the chance to crit goes up to 35% with power charges. I have to believe this is applying more reliable chill.

Offensively, this may also mean you are applying shock regularly, but I don't fully understand how shock works. With good jewels and full level skeletons, crits should be shocking shaper almost every time, for 1-25% extra damage taken. You just need your lightning damage per hit to be at about 25K or more.
"
grimlock9999 wrote:

However, My belief is that the power charges on this build do more than the 5% damage for both offence and defence: defensively, the chance to crit goes up to 35% with power charges. I have to believe this is applying more reliable chill.

Offensively, this may also mean you are applying shock regularly, but I don't fully understand how shock works. With good jewels and full level skeletons, crits should be shocking shaper almost every time, for 1-25% extra damage taken. You just need your lightning damage per hit to be at about 25K or more.

I haven't thought about shock or chill, good points. Thanks again grimlock, hopefully I can take this build all the way! Just tried to spawn UE but the elder influence broke as I did the first shaper guardian :( maybe I will try to map a bit, get better jewels, max out gems and then go for it.
Update: was able to spawn uber elder without any deaths on either set of guardians but I couldn't complete the fight - used all portals with about 1/2 health on each left. I definitely have to get better at dodging the skills in the fight.
"

Update: was able to spawn uber elder without any deaths on either set of guardians but I couldn't complete the fight - used all portals with about 1/2 health on each left. I definitely have to get better at dodging the skills in the fight.

This build is definitely not designed for fights like this. Our dodge doesn't help much vs ground effects and our life pool is unforgiving for little positioning mistakes. You should watch ziggy D do uber elder using a vortex 10K ES build. The extra 4K EHP let's him do it deathless while making big mistakes.

So, I chose the zombies and skeletons variant, I wanna ask what spectres I should use? I mean is it absolutely up to me or are there any which work really well with zombies/skeletons?

I don't see it written anywhere and in videos you are using Soulwrest with phantasms, so if you can give me any word on this, I'd be glad.

Cheers

Edit: I am level 68 and my zombies die in an instant. I've looked at the PoB and yeah, they will do more damage and have more life - but is that it?! Am I missing something?
Sorry, I'm just trying to understand this build.

I hope you can enlighten me.
Last edited by Mustafa24 on Jan 5, 2019, 5:37:31 PM
"
So, I chose the zombies and skeletons variant, I wanna ask what spectres I should use? I mean is it absolutely up to me or are there any which work really well with zombies/skeletons?

I don't see it written anywhere and in videos you are using Soulwrest with phantasms, so if you can give me any word on this, I'd be glad.

Cheers

Hey, the full guide is only for skeleton/ phantasms. I did test the zombie build, and it works fine, but the zombies move a bit slow without a queens escape.

The zombie version is also more expensive, as it relies on a good elder helm (they currently start at 50 chaos for minion life, minion damage and +2 to level of gems.)

Once you have this helm, you link the zombies with a mon'treguls grasp and they sit at 30K health - making them very tough to kill. This also leaves you with a shield slot for your own survival, or another damage item like the scourge - very useful.

While levelling, you must link zombies to minion life gem in order that they survive until you can get mon'reguls. A lot of zombie builds don't even use zombies until level 64, they level with srs or just skeletons. Zombies don't generally get good until late game.

Regarding spectres, it is essential for max dps to have a carnage chieftan and a host chieftan. The host chieftan generates power charges, which allows crits, which makes shock more reliable from the skellies. The carnage chieftan gives frenzy charges for a damage and minion speed boost.
Last edited by grimlock9999 on Jan 5, 2019, 9:00:15 PM
Hello really loving this build and would like some expert advice to improve my build. Im thinking of eventually getting an auls uprising for a third aura and a +1 specter boots to replace atziris aquity. Also plan on earning currency for top tier jewels. Any other suggestions are welcone my character is here https://pastebin.com/bHJ466Vd thanks a lot :)
Can anyone recommend a gem for the one red socket I have on my Soulwrest? I'm out of chromes and the best I could roll is 3 blues 1 green and 1 red.

Edit: Would Added Fire Damage Support be worth it?
Last edited by krookra on Jan 7, 2019, 12:52:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info