What don't you like about Grim Dawn

I wrote a fairly long review when I played some Grim Dawn back in the day.

To update after the Crucible and AoM dlc's, most issues still persist in the cons section.

My main gripes were repetitive content (trudging through the same exact content 3 times in a row, with each character, yikes), toxic community, loot system that has few avenues for good gear (no enchanting/mod changes), multiplayer scene dead, HC mode is...too much, etc.

You can read the rest below.

I recommended the game regardless, but I don't think I want to play it ever again.

"
Grim Dawn is an excellent single-player ARPG, that is easy to recommend though it has its flaws.

Edit: After going on the GD forums with its toxic community and having both my General Discussion and Feedback thread locked, I have come to the realisation that the flaws in this game are ultimately permanent and will never be addressed. As such, it is very hard to recommend now, so I have changed it to a thumbs down. Sorry Crate, but you did it to yourself.

Edit Edit: I've reverted back to a positive review because of a dev that kindly looked into the whole episode on the forums and sorted it out. The community is still toxic, but just don't go there and you will be fine.

Pros
+ Beautiful and varied artwork, even though the engine is starting to show its age.
+ Handcrafted world design where each cave and dungeon and setting is unique.
+ Memorable appropriate music, just the way a post-apocalyptic Victorian-era-inspired game should sound like.
+ Hybrid classes of the six available classes means a ton of options.
+ Investing Devotion points opens up further possibilities for each hybrid class.
+ Ability to re-spec Skill and Devotion points
+ Lore that you can read
+ Varied quests
+ Choices that matter and affect playthroughs
+ Reputation system with factions
+ Varied and good-looking equipment
+ New types of unique enemies
+ Deadly traps and unique boss encounters, with tactics and preparation needed.
+ Hardcore mode is hard (core).
+ Mods
+ Components and augments for the tinkerer and min-maxer in all of us.
+ Cheap and excellent value for money.

Cons
- Not HC (hardcore) friendly as it does not have second life passives, has spike damage and balance issues too. You will discover there are only some builds that are HC Ultimate viable.

- Loot system is antiquated and non-innovative and non-rewarding. Unacceptable in 2016. Look at Loot 2.0 with Diablo 3 RoS for an example of a rewarding loot system. 99% of the loot in Grim Dawn is worthless junk as you will discover. This is because there is no additional weighting to get a higher chance of items for either of your classes, nevermind your build. This problem is exacerbated by the rarer the items are, making legendary items for your class and also your build pretty much impossible to get. A simple change would be to at least give you an increased chance of items for either of your hybrid classes, where applicable. This would still mean you rarely get an upgrade as there are many build variations within classes, but at least we are getting closer to a rewarding loot system. Note: I have no problem with the drop rates of Epics and Legendaries, just that they should drop APPLICABLE equipment more often.

- Build defining legendaries should drop much earlier, as by the time you get them (lvl requirement 75 usually) you've done almost everything in the game.

- Few Epics (which you will mostly use even on Ultimate) define builds, just rather complement them a bit, possibly with a skill that is usually underwhelming.

- Farming and grinding is very tedious, as you have to create a new instance each time, travel to the boss, and then kill the boss in the same way each time.

- There is no end-game. Period. Let's not pretend the third time playing through the exact same content (Ultimate) is end-game. It's not. It's the same stuff except with possibly better loot. Apparently upcoming Crucible DLC will add some much needed end-game.

- Forced to level up through the same content 3 times. After doing the first few acts 20 times, you will want to shoot yourself in the head. You've memorised each quest, objective, boss tactic, quest dialogue, lore piece and story. Nothing surprises you anymore.

- Inability to re-spec Attributes and Mastery points. This completely defeats the whole purpose of experimenting with your build. It is completely unacceptable. Say you actually through some miracle got a Legendary set amulet for your class and build. It needs 100 more Spirit to equip though. What the hell? So you start fiddling with your optimal Skills and Devotions, scrounging for Spirit and %Spirit everywhere you can, and you still run up short. Good job Crate. Mastery points being permanent means you are very wary of changing your build too. I really struggle to understand this fundamental flaw in the game, I can't think of a single reason you can re-spec Skills and Devotions but not attributes or Mastery points.

- Local saves = cheating/hacking in multiplayer. And it also means you are ever so tempted to use a trainer, some of us have more willpower (or are just too lazy to go on dodgy sites to download one xd).

- No enchanting to roll off unwanted affixes. When you finally do get an upgrade it usually comes with 2-3 completely worthless affixes. Rolling these to more desirable ones by using materials should be possible.

- You will likely only get 200-300 hours before getting utterly bored and taking a long break from the game. Possibly forever.

Conclusion
Excellent ARPG already, but could potentially be truly great with some changes to loot system, enchanting, re-speccing etc.

Definitely worth the money. Buy it now.
"
Movement speed is capped for balance of combat since this game focuses on PvM. Even with the cap you can still breeze by 'some' enemies. Therefore allowing a higher movement cap would make the game even easier than it already is.

Okay I give up. Grim Dawn is perfect and has no issues besides you find it's easy. \o/
Last edited by Vipermagi on Nov 22, 2018, 8:46:57 PM
Got it a few days ago, been playing it while waiting for Betrayal to come out. I really like the game, mostly because it really nails down the pace and atmosphere that made me love D2. While PoE nails the aesthetics down perfectly (where GD uses the TQ engine which makes things look very different) at the end of the day it really is a completely different beast. This becomes very apparent once you've been playing the game for a few leagues.

To the topic at hand though, I'm only on my first playthrough on veteran but already I'm seeing myself annoyed with a couple of things. First off the issue with stunlocking. PoE has had and still has god awful balancing issues with some things, especially around Act 6 and with certain enemies if you don't have the "right" kind of damage reduction, but not as bad as the stunlocking in GD especially because there seems to be no source to avoid this.

Whether you get caught in a net, a spell that is 100% unavoidable because some spells are target bound, or you plainly got frozen, getting stunned to death is severely annoying.

My other issue so far is handling resistances. This is mostly because of how gearing works in the game, it's complete luck whether you get gear that is useful to your class and that also gives you resistances to take on the enemy damage. I've hard a super hard time dealing with enemies that deal aetherfire damage for example. Any kind of DoT in general is devastating especially before your build starts to really come together and you have decent sources of leech or regen.

Then again this last issue could just be me being used to literally never having to worry about resistances in PoE or any kind of status effects like bleed, freeze, ignite etc because dealing with them is trivial.
"

My other issue so far is handling resistances.

Because it's your first playthrough. You haven't accumulated items and twink gear yet, you may probably don't even know which materials to use and when.

You'll see that dealing with resistances will generally get easier and easier the more you play. Up to the point you keep almost all resistances maxed, in any difficulty.
All but one. Stun resistance. Because I heard you love stunlocks.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on Nov 28, 2018, 5:38:10 PM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Honestly too many skills, too many keys. I prefer just 2 or 3. I think in GD my necromancer has like 7 keys? WTF?

Oh grow a pair...of extra hands. These guys handle it just fine!

Razor Naga FTW
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
Razor Naga FTW

Uh, no thanks. This forum is literally full of people talking about those pieces of shit falling apart. I've seen it all over amazon as well. And other game forums.

My mouse has 18 buttons (only way you can play this game btw although a controller might be possible never tried).

It is a TRULY REALLY bad game design. I don't know what they were thinking. This, and some other things on here, is the reason why people are not playing GD like they do other games. Nothing wrong with the concept, but the implementation is another story. It is sad since I do like the game.

Thinking more about this topic has lead me to another issue: loot. It is ugly and does not even feel rewarding in the way that successful arpg's make it.

I'm only mentioning negatives here because of thread topic; there are many things I DO like about GD.
Censored.
"

Softcore doesn't increase in difficulty

well the same is true in path of exile
░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▀▀▀▄▄███▄░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░▐░▀██▌░░░░
░░░▄▀░░░░▄▄███░▌▀▀░▀█░░░░
░░▄█░░▄▀▀▒▒▒▒▒▄▐░░░░█▌░░░
░▐█▀▄▀▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▌░░░░░▐█▄░░
What I don't like about GD?

That the Forgotten Gods expansion was delayed until 2019. I was hoping to be playing it now.

Also, I don't really like the 3 playthroughs per character.
I feels like slow motion PoE for the most part
I dont see any any key!
"
k1rage wrote:
I feels like slow motion PoE for the most part

You can use cheat engine speed hack to increase the game's speed. Depends on CPU power though. I do think the game feels better at x1.25 speed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info