What don't you like about Grim Dawn

My personal issues are:

Ultimate is too easy even with medicore gear.

Softcore doesn't increase in difficulty knowing that you are expected to die.

Playing Crucible at high levels provides players a ton of rare drops that you couldnt obtain in a fraction of the time playing in the campaign. People hand out stuff freely cause it's soo easy to get.

Game is too subject to cheaters that rare items are easily generated using GDtools and simply handed out freely.

With the ease of obtaining whatever gear you want, you can play hardcore with a very very low chance of dieing.

Static maps all throughout the campaign make the game feel mundane. Cookie cutter.

Leveling your character is simply too fast.

There aren't any unique areas that you are required to farm inorder to get certain drops since even a walking dead zombie on the first map in Ultimate can be lvl100

Anyone agree? Whats your thoughts?
Last bumped on Nov 29, 2018, 7:06:27 PM
i don't like that it costs money
Very limited stash space in Grim Dawn.

Can't really think of anything else, Grim Dawn is just a great game.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
it doesnt feel as good to play it and kill monsters in it as it does in PoE
Designer of Unending Hunger and The Craving divination card.
Honestly too many skills, too many keys. I prefer just 2 or 3. I think in GD my necromancer has like 7 keys? WTF?
Censored.
I can play it since I got the mouse with all the keys for my b'day but doesn't mean I LIKE all the keys. It is crazy.
Censored.
I don't mind the stodginess too much (that is an apt word for it, btw). I don't know why (other than what I said) I don't like it as much as some other games like PoE, for example. There is just something that isn't clicking all the way. The story is OK; I've seen better and worse.

As OP pointed out, leveling is rather fast.

There is something just NOT satisfying about killing enemies. Maybe it is a sound issue?
Censored.
I think it's fine. Nothing exceptional, but perfectly servicable. I liked my time with Grim Dawn, never bothered to get past the second playthrough on any of my characters. Unless you hardcore skip everything it takes a lot of time to play through the game over and over (movespeed cap pffft), and neither prospect is attractive to me.

What I disliked the most however was the lack of consistency and clarity of mechanics. Gosh, who would've thought the numbers-nerd would complain about numbers :P
The differentiation between what PoE would call Spells and Attacks feels terribly arbitrary, and whether your item modifiers apply to your Skill of choice becomes similarly arbitrary because of that. Some DoTs will trigger on-Attack a billion times, but other DoTs never do. Leech can make you very tanky or do nothing. Maybe +Damage works, only one way to find out.

Diminishing returns (or weird stacking? idk) and hard caps on various stats feel kinda bad, and even mandatory at times; Movespeed has a very achievable hard cap, so why would I ever want anything below that? And why is this +15% Attack speed modifier so meaningless? Well, turns out I only needed +2% to hit the cap, so it makes no practical difference whatsoever. But, a +2% Attack Speed modifier doesn't actually get me there either, needs to be at least +3%.

Crits are entirely all-or-nothing because Offensive Ability (OA) is Accuracy, Crit Chance and Crit Mult, which is far too much for a single stat to govern anyhow. Your actual Crit values will fluctuate wildly due to your OA not scaling much with levels, but monster Defensive Ability does; if you don't find good OA gear, your Crit build will eventually lose nearly all ability to Crit.

-x% Enemy Health (whatever it was called) is a super busted modifier so naturally it does nothing against any relevant targets (see also, Curses in PoE). DoTs were great against packs but boy was my DPS mediocre against relevant threats, especially if they happened to be the boys with like 75% Resistance to [my damage type of choice]. Can't really do enough about that, gonna be a slow dungeon today.

The constellations are thematically nice but felt linear in the end. "Your build uses Damage Types XYZ so you can use constellations ABC - also grab Turtle plus at least one other generic defensive." Okay game, got it, it's [this exact setup].

The swampjungle was fucking massive with mediocre signposting at best; you don't get to move very fast in GD so that was a tad tiresome. Took an entire session just to find the quest objectives and the camp, at which point I apparently completed five quests at the same time or something? That was weird. I'm inherently not a fan of three playthroughs per character, and the gigantonormous swampjungle murdered my motivation super bad.
I dont agree with your movement cap bit. Th game is really focused on PvM exprience and with that they want combat to be balenced. If movement had no cap then you'd have an advantage over all the enemies where you had open fields to move around. As it stands you already have an advantage by being able to run away and not have the enemies always follow. They will turn back which gives you time to recoop your health. Also the movement is capped so you arent simply skimping through the maps making it even that much easier to bypass enemies without consequence. In D2 without a teleport ability while having a fast walk speed you really didn't have to fear much of the enemies and breeze through the maps. IMO if that is your play style then you may as well just use a trainer and mold your character how you want without having to play the game.

Attack speed is capped at 150% btw. Alot of the % with crit and OH are complimented with the devotion stats. The devotion stats arent permanently placed. They are replaceable and are designed for you to start off with certain consellations early on and later to be changed infavor of more powerfull constelllations. Turtle is an early level constellation that actually works on a small amount of builds. For the most part it would only be used as a shield early on just for its bonus affinity rewards so you can unlock other constellations. Once you've done that, you'd stop using turtle.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I actually dumped my mouse-with-all-the-keys recently in favour of a more comfortable one with a handy dpi up/down button and thumb rest. No regrets at all.

Either way, I don't think that's the problem with GD. It's just...so outdated on every front. The graphics look grainy. The UI is straight outta the mid 2000s. It's downright stodgy at times.

I don't agree with this. PoE has a very simple designed map structure with virtually no debth. I'd contribute that to the basic engine that it uses. Given that, there is no background activity with enemies at large distances in PoE to any extent that GD has within its maps. You can see enemies battling each other in GD when you are located at a higher elevation on a mountain looking down. This isn't purely background animation for cosmetic purposes because you can walk down the mountain and encounter those same monsters. Meanwhile the enemies that get killed by other enemies stay dead allowing you to fight less enemies when you arrive.

The maps in PoE are also smaller in general compared to even D2. With D2 I can walk from act 1 town all the way to the stairs that get you into Jail level 1 within the Monestary without having to load another range of maps just to get there. That large scale is also present in GD.

The FOV in PoE is also very small, much smaller than even D2. D2 allowed more enemies at once being that it had a larger FOV and the enemies reacted to the distance of the player. GD has as much FOV as D2 or close enough.

I can't agree with the gui bit either. It's personal preference as long as it provides the essentials to what you need. If anything the GD gui options are more customizable than PoE with alot of the features being accessable using just the mouse without any kB hotkeys. Also you can scale the gui to many degrees in GD which you can't do in PoE or just about every other isometric arpg.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info