What makes playing PoE fun for you?

after all the complaining sometimes it is beneficial to have a look at what actually works for you when playing the game and when is playing the game fun

-) progress (level, achievements, challenges, atlas clearing, unique checklist etc.)

when I can progress closer to the end of the game (i.e. getting all achievements other than hc shit (certainly not gonna touch that)), I'm having fun. that happens right now cause my ca raider is my best char so far by a mile. got 25% to 94 done and see nothing keeping me from reaching that level (or up to 95-96 even) and then going for the last 20 or so red and unique maps as soon as I find em.

lack of progress = zero fun. which is what happened with every other char of mine in the endgame. eventually I couldn't level anymore cause xp penalty reduced all progress to zero. that has always been the absolute worst part of the game and the (really) sole reason to ever uninstall for me (which happened more than 20 times by now)

summary: progress extremely good, no progress extremely bad

-) ...

well that is it really. for me poe only works on one level, namely progressing or checking lists all the way from 0 to 100 (%). and the way I see it that is also the only level of gameplay ggg "supports". so now list your preferences please.
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last bumped on Oct 23, 2018, 6:08:55 PM
For me it's about always trying out a new build, and investing in it, in order to make it stronger, to be able to progress further.

It isn't really about the challenges, though I like to do the first set of 12.
It is more about finding a sweet spot where you can farm/grind currency easier.

Then there's crafting. The new fossils make crafting kind of fun, and I don't mind spending a few C for the chance of crafting a nice rare item.

That's about it, I decided that I wouldn't be doing more that 1 char per league. My league starter is level 94 now, I am not sure if I will level anymore, since I've always told myself I'd stop at a point, and this might just be it.

For now I've played 6 days and 20 hours on this char within the last 50 days or so. I might have gone a bit overboard, but as long as it's fun, I guess it's worth it.

Have fun and stay safe!
One's demise is always one's own making.
Making my characters stronger and having a content to match them.
Gets me out of my "real life" head space. I teach. It's really nice not to have to think about students or their wacky problems for a while.
Basically the same reasons i like rogue-likes.

For more in-depth see this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2238725

+ PoEs graphics, music, voice-acting and lore have me hooked since Talisman.

Getting out of my "real life" head space does not really work for me long-term with oviously fake feel-good comic visuals like WoW/TF2/SF4 even though they were fun for a week or two.
Last edited by Antaiseito on Oct 22, 2018, 9:29:53 AM
Playing dogshit ascendencies.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Gets me out of my "real life" head space. I teach. It's really nice not to have to think about students or their wacky problems for a while.

I'm in the same boat. I even think we teach the same subject.

But from a game play perspective, my "fun" is all about theory crafting my build, execute the build and progress for as long as I "can". When my build starts to reach the limits of what's possible for me and my available game time, my fun starts to diminish.

Talked with a friend about this subject the other day. For him, it was all about the rewards and crafting. He doesn't find the game play fun (killing monsters), and it's all about earning currency to craft items. While that is fun too, I struggle to see that anyone can find game "fun", when 50%(++) of the game are just "means to an end".

But we are all different, and thank God for that.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Just grinding. I like to farm.
finding upgrades, becoming stronger, trying out new builds, constant big updates, the amount of possibilities you have in here. and probably more xd
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
I love finding treasures. That's why I can't ever understand people who play this game non-SSF. Personally trading would ruin the game to me so bad I'd rather quit altogether.

Also, like OP said, progress. I'm levelling Leo to 8 even if I know he isn't offering anything good. It's a matter of principle.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info