Danut's Self-Found Gems Challenge [streamlined for Betrayal!]

So I changed the ruleset a bit.

I'm allowing the use of one unlinked and unleveled flame dash/lightning warp/blink arrow (until you actually drop the gem). no leap slam or shield charge unless my character is a spell caster otherwise it could just be a damage source.

Every character death has been to delves. And I realized that I was dying to the delve mechanic due to being blocked by enemies that can't be killed in the darkness, which trapped me in the dark unable to move.

Not going to start this character again unless I die again with the new rule.

Been slow going as I figured I'd get some kind of spell to work with and it hasn't worked out yet.
Last edited by jolsen26 on Oct 23, 2018, 8:50:28 PM
So i really like Oni Goroshi, but in this challange farming it is not possible i guess? Or it is very hard at least. But there are some other ways to get it - but ist very unlucky.

Imagine searching for Her... Rumors... Some traces... Etc. Kinda nice i must say. Legend that some heard noone found them crads.
"
de99ial wrote:
So i really like Oni Goroshi, but in this challange farming it is not possible i guess? Or it is very hard at least. But there are some other ways to get it - but ist very unlucky.

Imagine searching for Her... Rumors... Some traces... Etc. Kinda nice i must say. Legend that some heard noone found them crads.

I would not recommend it. It would take forever to farm it from Hillock, especially not starting with a skill gem.

The whole idea is to see what skills drop and kind of make your build work as you go.
"
jolsen26 wrote:
"
de99ial wrote:

I would not recommend it. It would take forever to farm it from Hillock, especially not starting with a skill gem.

The whole idea is to see what skills drop and kind of make your build work as you go.

Yeah i know that. Other options are cards but they dont exist. Still, from character point of view, searching for them is kinda live long quest. Just an imagination game, not something serious.
"
jolsen26 wrote:
So I changed the ruleset a bit.

I'm allowing the use of one unlinked and unleveled flame dash/lightning warp/blink arrow (until you actually drop the gem). no leap slam or shield charge unless my character is a spell caster otherwise it could just be a damage source.

Every character death has been to delves. And I realized that I was dying to the delve mechanic due to being blocked by enemies that can't be killed in the darkness, which trapped me in the dark unable to move.

Not going to start this character again unless I die again with the new rule.

Been slow going as I figured I'd get some kind of spell to work with and it hasn't worked out yet.

Hmm, I haven't had that much trouble with Delves. But I think I'm also fairly conservative about running them, so maybe that's why. And now my char also got a Phase Run gem drop, so I'm good to go. But if you feel like a movement skill is needed, then that's fine.

I stopped playing the challenge for a few days. Decided to play a bit of standard, then went back into SC Delve. Today I got back into my Gladiator, and managed to make it through Innocence (where my last 2 chars ripped). It was actually surprisingly fast. This is by far my strongest char at this point, I hope it can survive for a long time.

Next challenge is going through Kitava.
Chris Wilson took my soul
And I managed it through Kitava. And the Brine King. And Arakaali.

I'm now sitting at 1 day of played time (part of it AFK/PoBing, but I'd say it's at least 3/4 played time), and just managed to kill Tolman. With that, this is now my longest HC run ever, beating the first run I gave to u/jolsen26 version of the challenge (which was the run that teached me that Tolman uses detonate dead, lol).

I'm really happy with my char and luck so far. I've got a 5link on my first vaaled strongbox, and it also had the right colors. A bit after that, I was thinking about whether or not it would be a good plan to farm for a Tabula when I hit act 9, and then one just appears in front of me.

In terms of gems, I managed to get Sunder, leaving me with the choice between Ground Slam, Earthquake and Sunder. I really wanted to keep using Earthquake, but it turned out that Sunder has way more damage when there's a group of mobs around, so I'm now using it for general clearing. On boss fights I switch to Earthquake - it's aftershock effect means I can just run around the boss hitting the ground and the boss will get hit at least by the second part of the attack.

Only downside so far is that I'm really starved on Intelligence. I've been trying my luck on every Lapis Amulet I find to see if I can get one that is at least slightly better than the piece of junk I'm using, but nothing good came out of it. I really should've planned my passive pathing to go by one of the big intelligence nodes.

Encounters that brought me closest to death: a) Darkness exploring in Delve; b) Darkness exploring in Delve; c) Darkness exploring in Delve (at this point I decided to just give up on Darkness exploring until I can get capped darkness resist); d) Kitava's X blast (I was on a corner and thus couldn't really see it was coming); e) Doedre (in act 8, don't even know what happened, it was just a clusterfuck and I almost died).

I hope I can make it to maps, but I'll probably just rip to Izaro or Kitava before that. Or one of those lightning guys that explode after a while.
Nice, congrats on Arakaali (she's actually the boss that i fear the most on HC, need to learn her properly some day) and the tabula! :D

My frost-blades scion died to Dominus a few days ago.
Why? .. I just didn't take him serious enough anymore ..

Took a break from PoE for a bit to do other things. But at least the challenge showed me why i like the game again.

Good luck in making it to maps! If you got this far that should also be possible! :D

Those lightning-discharge guys are my second most reason for HC-deaths while leveling. Or maybe not in frequency, but one of the mobs i'm most vary of.
I have a question about the essence rule. I assume on weapons only. How is everyone going about resists. Just trying to get as much as possible out of the skill tree? White rings and necklaces won't be enough after the a while.
Going to give this challenge another try very soon.

During Abyss I got to mapping and level 85 with my Jug.. then lost interest in going on... but the char is still there, didn't delete it as I always do upon dying/end of league as it felt quite an achivment.

My goal now is doing better than that (unlikey... Delve can be very rippy).

Last edited by FrancescoV on Oct 31, 2018, 1:53:05 PM
"
I have a question about the essence rule. I assume on weapons only. How is everyone going about resists. Just trying to get as much as possible out of the skill tree? White rings and necklaces won't be enough after the a while.

You can use Essences on any piece of gear that you want. The idea is that the weapon slot (and boots slot if they got move speed) is free from any other rule. And then, for other slots, you gotta follow the rules listed on point 2. Anything that fits into one of the rules of section 2 can be used, independently of the slot you're using it.

But even doing so you might find it hard to cap your resists only through gear. So I advise looking at passives that increase your resists. And jewel slots - normally we tend to ignore resists rolls on jewels, but they can be quite useful in this situation.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info