Danut's Self-Found Gems Challenge [streamlined for Betrayal!]

Looks good :)

Going to give Marauder a go

Can I buy MS boots from a vendor or do they need to drop?
Last edited by jolsen26 on Oct 17, 2018, 6:23:25 PM
"
jolsen26 wrote:

Cool :)

Marauder is a good choice.

And yes, you can buy MS boots from vendors. Same with weapons, including vendor recipes.
Chris Wilson took my soul
Yep Ive thought/said often since they added in the gem vendor that it cheapened the hardcore nature of POE.

At this point 95% of POE is too easy unless you tie your hands with arbitrary restrictions which is sad because this is not what Chris set out to make as I understand it.

SSF added in some challenge but not enough...maybe I try your idea next league.
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
"
Ain_Soph_Aur wrote:
Yep Ive thought/said often since they added in the gem vendor that it cheapened the hardcore nature of POE.

At this point 95% of POE is too easy unless you tie your hands with arbitrary restrictions which is sad because this is not what Chris set out to make as I understand it.

SSF added in some challenge but not enough...maybe I try your idea next league.

The part about 95% of the game being too easy is what bothers me the most. Granted, I do play softcore normally, but this league I made two characters that use AoE skills, and I don't even had to bother swapping in Conc. Effect instead of Inc. AoE when progressing through maps. Besides doing it for shaper (which I could probably do without anyway), it just would take me more time to swap gems than to kill bosses. At some point it starts feeling silly. That's why I decided to start playing this challenge again.

Anyway, if you feel like trying it out next league let me know. It'll also be interesting to see what the league brings, I intend on updating rules based on what GGG has to offer.
Alright, so i started playing yesterday night just to try this out and i had a blast (played until 2am and half an hour before work...)

It actually feels like playing a real game again!

The last two leagues to me just felt like a mad dash through easy content to hopefully reach an interesting point in the game again all the while doubting my skill/tree choices not to be optimal enough ...
Some of my HC characters even died because i was not having fun, but only searching and running to find fun in the game, but meanwhile stopping to care for my character.
Then they die to something stupid because i almost wish to end it to try something "more optimal" which ends in the same way.

With this the game felt like an adventure again right from the start, fighting for survival.
It felt really epic to dual wield axes as a ranger in the mud flats :)
(Note: I'm still using yellow items, because right now it feels fine to do so.)

---
So, i started with a ranger and wasn't 100% sure whether to use the fire arrow or only basic attack. Ended up using fire arrow 3-4 times when i did the smart thing of starting a delve on lvl 3 (didn't migrate, so went sideways) and only afterwards remembering that speed-killing is important to follow the crawler xD
- Delve feels 100% designed with the availability of AoE skills from lvl 2 in mind.
Well, after i survived the first delve i removed the fire arrow gem because it felt more right and later did some more delves with lvl 2 monsters when i reached lvl 6. I would still very much NOT recommend to delve with just basic attack! But there were some nice clutch moments where barrels and like 20 bugs were blocking my way after the crawler.
(Note to self: Always try to follow behind the crawler, so you can kill as much as possible before new stuff arrives.)

In The climb i finally found a superior spark gem, which i never wanted to use before and arcane surge. So now i switched from dual wield tree to going for projectiles and maybe to shadow area.
Beat Brutus after ~2 hours of playing ^_^
Bosses really feel like Bosses again, great stuff.
Looking forward to pushing further later.

---
This morning i wanted to try a witch for half an hour and really, slaying zombies with a big two-hand-sword as a witch feels almost Dark Souls-ish :D
But this time i found spectral throw and double strike in the mud flats, so she's actually rocking right now, throwing dual wielded swords (best i found yet, and i guess the accuracy doesn't hurt).

------

Keeping a chest tab per character right now, maybe i'll share the currency tab between them later? Nothing shared yet.
Will see how things turn out.

Thanks for showing me why i loved this game so much when i started, DanutMS ;)

Edit: It also feels like this would be a really cool coop experience. Maybe i should ask a friend ..
Last edited by Antaiseito on Oct 18, 2018, 8:57:00 AM
JUST NO.

playing this game is pointless enough as it is, wanting to add self-imposed challenges (except for ssf, which is the DEFAULT game mode as far as I'm concerned) to it just means you need to get out of your basement and buy another fucking game already.
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Oct 18, 2018, 10:03:14 AM
"
LMTR14 wrote:
JUST NO.

playing this game is pointless enough as it is, wanting to add self-imposed challenges (except for ssf, which is the DEFAULT game mode as far as I'm concerned) to it just means you need to get out of your basement and buy another fucking game already.

Sure, very good idea if that makes you more happy. I do that too, got loads of stuff during the last 2 leagues (currently on Mega Man 11, 2046, Hunt:Showdown, Under Night in Birth:Exe late[st] and Uncharted 4, depending on mood/time-availability).
But as i said, for the ARPG-slot in my life, Grim Dawns graphics for example are not doing it for me right now, sadly.

Playing this game (or anything else rly) without a challenge is just a pointless waste of life to me and that's what PoE felt like even on HCSSF recently :)
"
DanutMS wrote:
"
jolsen26 wrote:

Cool :)

Marauder is a good choice.

And yes, you can buy MS boots from vendors. Same with weapons, including vendor recipes.

Well I died for the 2nd time in a delve cuz I'm an idiot. Finally had some good early drops too(ground slam, double strike).

But it occurred to me that Delve crafting wasn't addressed in the rules.

Surely you should be able to do something with the delve rewards?
"
jolsen26 wrote:

Well I died for the 2nd time in a delve cuz I'm an idiot. Finally had some good early drops too(ground slam, double strike).

But it occurred to me that Delve crafting wasn't addressed in the rules.

Surely you should be able to do something with the delve rewards?

Oh, yeah, I totally forgot about that part at first, my bad. I was going to say you can use them, but then I wasn't sure. This is what I added about this:

I'm honestly not sure if this would be a good idea or not. On one hand, fossil crafting can be really powerful. Possibly too powerful. On the other hand, I do like the idea of players risking their lives for rewards, and delving deep into the darkness is an interesting mixture of risk and reward. I haven't been able to progress far enough to start collecting fossils and see how it would feel in the challenge. So for now I'll just leave it open for people to decide for themselves. If anyone has some insight about this, let me know.

So, yeah, it's pretty much still open. You can just pick your own rules on this and see how it feels. But I think at least some form of delve crafting should be allowed. Maybe all.

As for your experience, Delves are not that friendly to this kind of challenge. They're hard. On the other hand, they can give a lot of rewards. All in all, I think it's a cool league mechanic for a SSFGems challenge. I hope you can survive a bit longer on a next try though :)

"
Antaiseito wrote:
Alright, so i started playing yesterday night just to try this out and i had a blast (played until 2am and half an hour before work...)

This was really nice to read. I'm glad someone got interested by the idea and is having fun with it :)

As for the "fighting for survival" thing, it is one of my favorite parts. It just feels right starting with one shitty weapon and a bunch of mobs around you and having to slash your way through them slowly - until you can start getting more powerful.

"
Antaiseito wrote:

- Delve feels 100% designed with the availability of AoE skills from lvl 2 in mind.
Well, after i survived the first delve i removed the fire arrow gem because it felt more right and later did some more delves with lvl 2 monsters when i reached lvl 6. I would still very much NOT recommend to delve with just basic attack! But there were some nice clutch moments where barrels and like 20 bugs were blocking my way after the crawler.
(Note to self: Always try to follow behind the crawler, so you can kill as much as possible before new stuff arrives.)

In The climb i finally found a superior spark gem, which i never wanted to use before and arcane surge. So now i switched from dual wield tree to going for projectiles and maybe to shadow area.
Beat Brutus after ~2 hours of playing ^_^
Bosses really feel like Bosses again, great stuff.
Looking forward to pushing further later.

Yeah, Delves are not really forgiving for those using single target skills (or, even worse, default attack). My Duelist is lvl 11, and I still haven't risked going into the mine. There are just too many mobs there. But I feel like Delve is a cool mechanic - it's hard, but not in a simple "go fast or go home" style (looking at you, Incursion).

I like that you found a gem you never wanted to use. This is the challenge experience, pretty much. Make use of what you have at hand. I'm curious to see if you'll keep sparking around or get something else that makes you switch routes again (or maybe some other type of projectile, like a bow skill).

Also, Brutus ~2 hours in is quite reasonable. I've done it in 1h40mins here, so pretty much the same.

"
Antaiseito wrote:

This morning i wanted to try a witch for half an hour and really, slaying zombies with a big two-hand-sword as a witch feels almost Dark Souls-ish :D
But this time i found spectral throw and double strike in the mud flats, so she's actually rocking right now, throwing dual wielded swords (best i found yet, and i guess the accuracy doesn't hurt).

There should be more two-handed builds for witches, they just look cool with them. But apart from that, choosing a witch was a bold move. They're not so tanky, so building one right can be quite a challenge. I've never done it myself (on this challenge, that is, on softcore trade league yes), though I still want to do it one day.

As for gems, you got quite lucky. I don't think I ever found two attack gems so early on. The hard part with spectral throw is that it's just a single projectile by default.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and about thanking me for the idea: you should really thank jolsen26, I just ripped off his idea (with his approval) and changed things a bit to my liking.
Last edited by DanutMS on Oct 18, 2018, 11:52:36 PM
Small update on my own character progression:

I decided to play for some minutes today. Started at Prisoner's Gate, went into The Ship Graveyard, and found a vaal side area. I'm still mainly using default attack, as my only self-cast gem is Blight (capped at level 2 due to intelligence requirements) and it's damage is absolutely terrible.

So finding this side area was hitting the jackpot. Took me almost 10 minutes to fully clear the area up to the boss. Killed him, opened the vaal chest. Got not just one, but TWO copies of Vaal Blight. And nothing else. I hate my life.

EDIT: Vaal Blight actually does nice damage, I wasn't expecting this. If only it didn't need so many souls to charge up...
Last edited by DanutMS on Oct 19, 2018, 12:13:55 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info