Honestly don't know if I will continue playing this game.

i'd suggest Enki91s arc witch elementalist build guide:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1147951

600+ pages long and going strong since like 4 years ago, just check out the feedback in there + I am living proof it works really good :D

I have less than 5 days /played and less than 10 /deaths on it,plus like 6 of those 10 deaths were my first ever encounter with act 10 kitava not knowing mechanics, rest to chaos damage i wasnt prepared for in maps (-60% chaos res didnt help either :D)

already level 91 and crushing t1-12 maps VERY easy so far, havent tried higher maps yet but not stressing about it either, reflect immune so that makes it very comfortable also, build is super easy to scale to the endgame with currency, but doesnt need anything at all to get started,

I literally started playing path of exile again after 2 or 3 years break with this character, back then was only 4 acts and the game was a LOT different, much slower paced amongst other things, anyway started like a week ago with zero currency whatsoever, and already level 91 in red maps going smooth, again less than a week of playtime, 4-5 days and x hours, just stick to his guide step by step and it will be very easy, thats all I can say if u want a smooth ride all the way from leveling to mapping, and if u have questions along the way or at any point you can always ask either Enki91 in the thread or others, very helpful and every single aspect is covered in the guide anyway,

best guide out there for new players and ive watched and read many, many guides, you can check my character and see all my gear is super cheap except for my chest and its only because its six links, costs like 2-3 ex but a 5 linkversion is more than enough until the higher red maps, 5 linked one can be found very cheap or just get a 2-3 linked then buy the prophecy that creates a 5 linked item with a single jewellers orb, costs like 10 chaos for that prophecy and this way you get away veeeeery cheap, prophecy is called jewellers touch,

plus if you want to clear the highest endgame content without much issue you can if you invest in the build, Enki has lots of videos of him doing it in his thread + streams often on twitch with his optimized expensive version of the build etc, anyway check it out, good luck !

Last edited by secret_service86 on Oct 25, 2018, 8:01:53 PM
That's just it. If I wanted to do a totem build I would and you are just confirming what I said about not being able to play unless you follow someone else's guide
"
AngryMu5r00m wrote:
Honestly after 1300+ hours play time I have only one character to even make it to red maps and I only got to t13 and I was dying at least once per map. And she was lvl 88.
That's the best I have to show for all the time I have played. Just 1 trash Character. Sure im proud of it since it is the best one I have made and I found my first exalt with it but at the end of the day it's still a garbage character.

That's why I'm loosing all motivation to play this game. How many more hours of frustration and disappointment do I have to go through before I actually know how to play?
And yes I know that even pros have failed builds but at least they still have the knowledge to make good viable characters.

I haven't hit 1300 hours yet, and I have no issues making builds that do red tier maps. It has however taken quite a few worthless chars (20-30 maybe) and A LOT of wiki reading to learn the mechanics (which btw are extremely complicated when it comes to how things ACTUALLY work).
I dont know if your last post was referring to me but if it was anyway its not a totem build lol :) self cast arc, but thats irrelevant and i'll tell you how it really works, probably your negative view and shallow mind wont accept it though, lets try anyway:

how do you suppose he made his guide over 4 years ago when the game was brand new? by trying out stuff himself and over time refining it, honestly you are a sad example of someone giving up and basically a loser,

someone who gives up when they dont have the capacity be it mental, willpower, or just patience to succeed, whatever it may be, in a very short summary its about looking at the passive tree, looking at skills and how they work together and what improves or worsens them from the passive tree and how they synergize with items and buffs and so on, path of exile is a complex game and thats why its so awesome! all the builds out there had to start somewhere, when the game came out there were no ready builds but over time they evolve and change,

new items come and go together with builds that get nerfed or buffed and so on, a lot of items are/were very cheap or even vendor food until some clever person figures out a build using them in combination with the above mentioned things like the tree and so on, suddenly you have a build and keystone items of the build shoot up in price for this reason, there is nothing stopping you from being that person discovering a build with this logic, obviously as time goes on the more people play and do this and the possibilites are more and more explored and there is a narrower window to find "successful" meta builds(and that is not how you have to play the game, I like taking my time with the atlas and I dont like mindlessly spamming linear maps for a better xp or loot per hour for example) but it will never be done completely with nothing left to discover as things change and evolve,

every single one of your negative points about the game can be, and are being disproven but you just wont accept it since YOU are failing so it must be the games fault, the game is amazing and to this day 5 years later new builds are constantly evolving and you dont have to play something meta to be successful, get a grip and honestly f*ck off with your attitude, have a nice day !
Last edited by secret_service86 on Oct 26, 2018, 4:41:29 AM
"
AngryMu5r00m wrote:
That's just it. If I wanted to do a totem build I would and you are just confirming what I said about not being able to play unless you follow someone else's guide

It's advisable to follow a guide when your new to reduce the amount of problems you will have later on but it's not necessary.

I didn't follow a guide for my first build, i just started playing without any research and it still got me into yellow tier maps before the first skill tree reset came. By then i had the game pretty much figured out and after the remake the char can make high red tier maps. Same build just my pathing is more optimized than it was initially.

This game really isn't that complex, there are just a few basic things you have to look out for to make an endgame viable build and they are pretty much the same as in every other ARPG, just the values are different.

1. Decent EHP pool. Doesn't really matter how you get the EHP. You can make a 7k life sponge without much mitigation or you can make a 5k life tank with tons of it and everything in between. As long as you can stomach "normal" hits from monsters your fine. How much EHP you want depends on whether your ranged or melee. For a melee i would recommend 6k+ life + lots of mitigation (see my Chieftain, Juggernaut and Gladiator). For a ranged build 5k life can already be enough along with capped res. As far as mitigation goes, there are tons of options just pick what suits you. Arctic Armor, Endurance Charges, Resists, Enfeeble + Immortal call with Cast when damage taken, Dodge, Block etc.

2. Sustainance. Having a big buffer to stomach hits alone doesn't cut it, you need to be able to refill that buffer after taking damage. Lifeleech is the prime source here. I usually take the leech nodes close to vaal pact near the Duelist starting position. Gives you decent life leech and some mana leech solving pretty much all your problems. Only works for attack based builds though, for spellcasters you need Warlords mark or stuff like that.

3. Don't try to facetank everything. Yes, even after you stacked up to the limit on both 1. and 2. you still won't be able to just tank everything. This is where this game is different from all other ARPGs i know off and this was also the hardest part for me to accept. I always thought: "If you just do it right you should be able to just tank shit." No, your not. Certain things will kill you no matter what. Standing next to Strongboxes with CE for example. Or Shock/Vulnerbility + heavy hits or some boss attacks especially if they come with the wrong map mods. Did "Core Malachai" a few days ago with my Chieftain. (Tier 13 map boss) that guy oneshot me through all my physical mitigation and 6,6k life with his slam attack. It's just how this game works, there is stuff that you will have to dodge through movement otherwise it will kill you.

If you keep those 3 things in mind when making your build then he will work. Doesn't mean you will never die, a rip every few maps is bound to happen when you run into some nasty combinations of monster effects, but overall it should run smoothly. All the passive points you have left after reaching the above benchmarks can go into damage but damage nodes aren't that important, most of your damage comes from the number of links you have, the damage of your weapon if attack based and from your skillgem itself. Not to mention that high dps is only needed for engame bosses like shaper to make the fight easier, even red tier map bosses don't have much HP so even with low damage on your end they are easily killable.

And for none of all this you need god gear or trade like a mad man. Except for my BotB Armor everything i have on my chars is selffound and self crafted within half a year of playtime.
Last edited by Baharoth15 on Oct 26, 2018, 5:10:14 AM
"
I dont know if your last post was referring to me but if it was anyway its not a totem build lol :) self cast arc, but thats irrelevant and i'll tell you how it really works, probably your negative view and shallow mind wont accept it though, lets try anyway:

how do you suppose he made his guide over 4 years ago when the game was brand new? by trying out stuff himself and over time refining it, honestly you are a sad example of someone giving up and basically a loser,

someone who gives up when they dont have the capacity be it mental, willpower, or just patience to succeed, whatever it may be, in a very short summary its about looking at the passive tree, looking at skills and how they work together and what improves or worsens them from the passive tree and how they synergize with items and buffs and so on, path of exile is a complex game and thats why its so awesome! all the builds out there had to start somewhere, when the game came out there were no ready builds but over time they evolve and change,

new items come and go together with builds that get nerfed or buffed and so on, a lot of items are/were very cheap or even vendor food until some clever person figures out a build using them in combination with the above mentioned things like the tree and so on, suddenly you have a build and keystone items of the build shoot up in price for this reason, there is nothing stopping you from being that person discovering a build with this logic, obviously as time goes on the more people play and do this and the possibilites are more and more explored and there is a narrower window to find "successful" meta builds(and that is not how you have to play the game, I like taking my time with the atlas and I dont like mindlessly spamming linear maps for a better xp or loot per hour for example) but it will never be done completely with nothing left to discover as things change and evolve,

every single one of your negative points about the game can be, and are being disproven but you just wont accept it since YOU are failing so it must be the games fault, the game is amazing and to this day 5 years later new builds are constantly evolving and you dont have to play something meta to be successful, get a grip and honestly f*ck off with your attitude, have a nice day !

How am I not supposed to lose patience or have a bad attitude twords this game after how many times I have grind the same boring campaign and how many characters I have that failed.
And yes I probably won't ever accept the fact that I can't learn the game by playing it you know like every single game I have played so far.

I have played games where I needed to look something up but not to the extent to which not doing so made the game unplayable. Unlike this game where I've had to basically look every single thing up besides campaign quests.
For an example I never knew minions could be supported by gems other then the minion support gems. Why because the game doesn't explain shit so how am I supposed to know. In fact it doesn't even bother to tell you what your minions dps even is.
I have to pain stakingly recreate my entire build ON A FAN MADE WEBSITE JUST TO SEE WHAT MY STATS ARE.
I would rather pay for this game and have a better and more helpful ui then see it stay a ftp.

"
AngryMu5r00m wrote:
"

How am I not supposed to lose patience or have a bad attitude twords this game after how many times I have grind the same boring campaign and how many characters I have that failed.
And yes I probably won't ever accept the fact that I can't learn the game by playing it you know like every single game I have played so far.

I have played games where I needed to look something up but not to the extent to which not doing so made the game unplayable. Unlike this game where I've had to basically look every single thing up besides campaign quests.
For an example I never knew minions could be supported by gems other then the minion support gems. Why because the game doesn't explain shit so how am I supposed to know. In fact it doesn't even bother to tell you what your minions dps even is.
I have to pain stakingly recreate my entire build ON A FAN MADE WEBSITE JUST TO SEE WHAT MY STATS ARE.
I would rather pay for this game and have a better and more helpful ui then see it stay a ftp.

Fair enough and maybe I was a bit rude in my last post but I will defend this game and claim its not the car its the driver so to speak, the game is bigger than ever and growing for a reason and coming from diablo 1,2 and 3 I always liked ARPGS and most of my experience and knowledge from those games I applied to this game without much issues to be honest, yes you will die in some spots and fail until you learn,

I dont see the problem with reading a guide or having to look something up on the PoE wiki to learn more deeply about mechanics, thats just an example, true the character tooltip and explanations do leave some things to be explained/damage per second is not always accurate at all, and other things leave some things kind of unanswered until you research or explore for yourself, but thats not a necessarily bad thing for me, I like not having my hand held along the way and having some difficulty is cool imo,

if someone wants to explore for themselves and not look up guides then there is nothing stopping them, how well you learn and apply knowledge from mistakes is individual I guess, some more than others but in no way is the game brutal unless you want it to be and what kind of content you want to clear, having a view that anyone easily should be able to clear the whole game just by playing and not bothering learning about mechanincs is to me silly and naive,

thats whats so cool aswell with this game imo how you can modify maps to be extremely challenging, or you can farm regular white maps even the higher tier ones without crafting them at all to get an easier experience, etc,

the post right above this one by "Baharoth15" was very well written IMO about how to apply reasoning from the damage/sustain mechanics without really have to be following a guide someone else made, its not the most noobfriendly game and nor was it intended to be, the game has always had a rather sharp side to it atleast for the endgame content and especially in hardcore mode,

but its so far from unplayable or impossible, you should have seen the game when it came out and first 1-2 years when it was new, now THAT was unfriendly for beginners, the game today is so much faster and easier its not even funny, just the new tutorial system implemented helps a beginner a lot when you wake up in the first zone,

maybe you did play back then but I just cant help but feeling you are either not trying enough or just doing it wrong, if you really want to create a character or build without following a guide or deeply learning mechanics in the game then you at the same time can not expect everything to go smoothly, its just how it is in path of exile and I dont really know what else to tell you here :S

A good way is to follow a guide for a character that works and learn WHY it works at the same time, with that knowledge you can afterwards create a new one without using any guide and apply the reason/logic/knowledge from the previous one to try and create your own character that works,

what is a character that "works" anyway? kill act 10 kitava? kill uber elder deathless? there is so much to do inbetween aswell and IDK we just think completely different, one thing is for sure the game is growing, its awesome, and if you give it an honest chance without being naive or stubborn or negative about it, even if it takes following a guide atleast for ONE character to complete the endgame content and then use that knowledge and experience going forward, im sure you will be fine in the end, again the post above me by "Baharoth15" was very well written imo, but anyway, dont really have much more to say for now, its up to you how to treat it going forward and good luck.

"
AngryMu5r00m wrote:
I have not learned anything new from this thread. Everything you guys have told me I have known already maybe except for life flask is better then a hybrid.
Even after having help with the passive tree on my last character and making sure I try to stack all the defense I can my character can't survive.
And i have almost every single health node my build called for. The only thing I was going to points into after lvl 80 was damage nodes.

Yet my character is still trash. Even my ranger was able to do yellow maps by lvl 80.

And do you think the event league is going to go any better?
" Have problems now just wait until you can start all over with nothing in your stash and even harder enimies to face."
Yeah watch out shaper here I come. Smh
As you pointed out, this game is complex and there is lot of stuff to consider.
It is pretty hard to help, if you can't provide any information on how your build is set up. You mentioned that you play on XBox and can't share your character via profil.
How about rebuilding your character in Path of Building and sharing this?
How about sharing some basic stats of your character?
We are fishing in the dark. There is no chance to figure what you already know and what you already have tried.

Maybe this can help you: Have a look at my character. It is pretty much what you intended to play, but can easily survive till Tier 16.

Since you were talking about flasks. A must have for every life-based dying to fast are two Seething Life Flask. Also you need a large Life Pool (5k+) if you use Queens Desecret. You can also use a shield instead and link shield charge with fortify. Life regenation is also important for this build, since there is no leech possible.
All these are actually basic knowledge, but maybe can help to figure, why your character die like a glas cannon.
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
Lvl 77
Out of combat stats
43%phys reduction
516 life regen
5068 life
6504 armor
468 str 113 int 107 dex

TS : according to skills page it does 23-43k damage

Helm:
%40 increased tectonic slam damage
+43 to armor
+62 life
+44 lightning reasist
22 stun and block recovery
29 cold resist

Chest:
+30 to str
%55 increased armor
86 to life
%6 of physical damage taken as fire
%5 increased str
26 lightning resist

Belt:
23 global physical damage
65 to life
11 fire resist
32 cold resist
25 stun and block recovery
%41 increased elemental damage with attack skills

Boots:
102 to life
%3 increased life
20 increased movement speed
%1 life regen
26 lightning resist

Gloves:
%20 increased melee damage
Supported by lvl 16 faster attacks
%8 increased attack speed
70 to life
%12 increased rarity of items found
28 lightning resist
%73 increased armor

Eye of innocence amulet
Mokous embrace Ruby ring

Coral ring:
29 to life
6% increased attack speed
36 to evasion
70 to life
%20 increased rarity of items found
%31 fire resist
Adds 5 to 7 physical damage to attacks

Tidebreaker.

He has uploaded video with his character in action and he got already a lot of feedback and good advices.

"
AngryMu5r00m wrote:
https://youtu.be/NsLEfLrxBO0

Here is a link. First part shows my build and then me trying to do a t7 coral ruins map

I have watched the video and add some hints.

1) You have died bcos of lacking freeze/chill imunity and some reliable source of life recovery besides flask and conditional leech (while ignited).

You have also risked too much and got surrounded by enemies.

To fix that I would take Vitality Void passive to get good source of life leech and mana leech (0.4 should be enough for your slow attack).

2) I can´t see what gems are linked in your weapon besides combustion.

I have also noticed your Combustion gem is low level and you have stopped to level it although you have enough inteligence. You should level your damage dealing gems to the maximum level if possible.

Did you consider using any totem such as Ancestral Protector (or AW, vaal AW)?

It will boost your damage and Totem itself can deal lots of damage.
The totem will also distract enemies and you can kill them easier.

You should put the Totem into your chest piece to get maximum potential from it (totem in 5-linked deals lots of damage) or at least in four link item.

3) You´re using your flasks occasionally but you should keep them active all the time or at least if needed (especially quick silver for faster movement).

I would drop the hybrid flask and get

and some utility flasks that provide Freeze imunity (the most important) and curse imunity and shock imunity eventually.

TO OP:
Did you follow any advice given to you?
According to your video it´s more about your gameplay than build / items which are decent.

I think take it easy don´t be in hurry. You can get more levels in white tier / easy maps till you hit more levels. I usually hit 80-85 before reaching yellow maps and 85-90 before red maps. (especially in delve league).
And the most important part is that playing any game should be fun and not frustration.
Last edited by Rakiii on Oct 27, 2018, 10:14:17 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info