[3.5] Scold Snap™ - a low-life league starter Cold Snap Occultist

"
Dmillz wrote:
"
cha_siu_bao wrote:
I would probably take:
Arakaali for the "increased ES recovery rate if you've stopped taking DoT recently"
Ralakesh for dealing with physical DoT and "cannot be maimed"

It's really down to personal preference.

I think for this league Solaris is better than Arakaali to try to help with the insane damage from the Syndicate.

You're probably right that Arakaali isn't so attractive this league. Incursion monsters do ridiculous amounts of chaos damage, but it's mostly upfront hits and not poison/DoT. Arakaali's chaos resist vs DoT damage won't really help with those mechanics.

But on the other hand, is Solaris really that great? The main mod doesn't usually apply, as most syndicate fights involve battling 2+ masters at once. I think I most highly value the mod that prevents us from getting double-tapped by two consecutive crits, but even then it doesn't strike me as an "I gotta have this" pantheon choice.
Last edited by cha_siu_bao on Dec 11, 2018, 3:04:20 PM
I did it here:
https://pastebin.com/8swxiRmf

What do you think of this?
Is it good or bad?
what can be improved?

I don't know what to put of Ring and Amulet!
Last edited by bazsx on Dec 11, 2018, 5:52:55 PM
"
bazsx wrote:
I did it here:

Is it good or bad?
what can be improved?

To be honest, it looks pretty bad. My #1 theorycrafting tip is not to plan a level 100 build unless you have a level 100 character. I try to stick to a maximum of 110 points for build planning.

1. Resistances and attributes. Your skill tree has a good amount of resistances, but your gear does not.

Sin Trek require 117 dexterity, and you have 69. Under normal circumstances I would say that it's okay, because we'll just get dex on our jewelry... so now you've put yourself in a position where you need near-perfect suffixes on every jewelry piece, with zero waste. It's possible, but expensive and unlikely.

2. Legacy gear. Make sure that you're using current items, unless you actually own the legacy items and have a good reason to use them. The build you linked uses legacy Aegis Aurora and Rime Gaze (both were buffed in 3.5).

3. Rime Gaze + low-life. Occultists do well in boss fights because of their ES recharge. Rime Gaze has a drawback of "50% reduced ES recharge rate." You can still technically make the build function, but I don't like it.

4. Gem choice. Based on the DPS numbers shown in PoB, I don't think your Arctic Breath damage passes muster. Even if we try to account for the fact that Bonechill DPS calculations are bugged in PoB, your damage still looks pretty awful.
"
cha_siu_bao wrote:
But on the other hand, is Solaris really that great? The main mod doesn't usually apply, as most syndicate fights involve battling 2+ masters at once. I think I most highly value the mod that prevents us from getting double-tapped by two consecutive crits, but even then it doesn't strike me as an "I gotta have this" pantheon choice.

Nope, mostly the crit mod and the 20% chance to take 50% less area damage from hit (RNG based but can save you). It doesn't scream "I gotta have this" but it does put itself in contention instead of Arakaali being a no brainer.
IGN: Dmillz
Also, Pandemonius feels great on this build. The Scolds procs blind on everything!
"
oregoncrete wrote:
Also, Pandemonius feels great on this build. The Scolds procs blind on everything!

Just FYI the Cold Penetration does not apply to damage over time. Blind is nice but it might be worth using the Blind gem or a Stibnite Flask instead of that amulet.
IGN: Dmillz
"
Dmillz wrote:
"
oregoncrete wrote:

Just FYI the Cold Penetration does not apply to damage over time. Blind is nice but it might be worth using the Blind gem or a Stibnite Flask instead of that amulet.

Hmm true. I was also considering Impresence for dual blasphemy setup.
"
cha_siu_bao wrote:
"
bazsx wrote:
I did it here:

Is it good or bad?
what can be improved?

To be honest, it looks pretty bad. My #1 theorycrafting tip is not to plan a level 100 build unless you have a level 100 character. I try to stick to a maximum of 110 points for build planning.

1. Resistances and attributes. Your skill tree has a good amount of resistances, but your gear does not.

Sin Trek require 117 dexterity, and you have 69. Under normal circumstances I would say that it's okay, because we'll just get dex on our jewelry... so now you've put yourself in a position where you need near-perfect suffixes on every jewelry piece, with zero waste. It's possible, but expensive and unlikely.

2. Legacy gear. Make sure that you're using current items, unless you actually own the legacy items and have a good reason to use them. The build you linked uses legacy Aegis Aurora and Rime Gaze (both were buffed in 3.5).

3. Rime Gaze + low-life. Occultists do well in boss fights because of their ES recharge. Rime Gaze has a drawback of "50% reduced ES recharge rate." You can still technically make the build function, but I don't like it.

4. Gem choice. Based on the DPS numbers shown in PoB, I don't think your Arctic Breath damage passes muster. Even if we try to account for the fact that Bonechill DPS calculations are bugged in PoB, your damage still looks pretty awful.

I'd love to play with a Build using Arctic Breath!
What can I do to improve this Build?
"
oregoncrete wrote:
"
Dmillz wrote:
"
oregoncrete wrote:

Hmm true. I was also considering Impresence for dual blasphemy setup.

Yeah, switched from Pandemonius to Impresence for Frostbite reservation. It's pretty damn nice. I'll get blind from a Stibnite or something.

"
oregoncrete wrote:

Yeah, switched from Pandemonius to Impresence for Frostbite reservation. It's pretty damn nice. I'll get blind from a Stibnite or something.

You realize that amulet adds flat cold to everything, right? Spells, attacks, heralds... everything you do that applies a hit.

I hope you're not running Elemental Equilibrium on this build, because if so you have just sabotaged your own build mechanics.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info