[3.4] BeJust's Overlord of Purity (a melee summoner with Smite) WIP

The idea behind this build is the addition of new gems: Especially Smite, Herald of Purity and Summon Holy Relic and new additions in Guardian ascendancy as well as some juicy minion nodes in Templar area.
The aim is to make a relatively tanky summoner whose melee hits buff his minions and together they DELVE into Wraeclasts dirty laundry.
One of the biggest advantages of the build is the ability to use one-handed, two-handed weapons or go unnarmed with Facebreaker with no massive skill tree changes.

PSA: Thank you all so much for your comments in this thread, unfortunately, I won't be able to answer most of them.

Here is a video by Ghazzy on Generic Summoner Mechanics for more detailed info on how minion skills work (DB is outdated tough).

League update
6 hours into the league update:
Build looks fun and cuts through levelling very nicely, just killed stomped on Malifaro in a matter of seconds. Herald of Purity is just amazing. I got lucky with some delve drops and so will test
tomorrow.

League

I didn't have as much time to play as I planed so at day 4 I am only level 76. https://pastebin.com/U25ibcXR this is how my char looks like now. I have read that some of you have problems with survivability, but it feels ok to me. Run stone golem instead of AG for now (though I want to try Lighting golem because I feel really slow). There is a lot of possibility with this build. One of those ideas is Consecrated path as the main skill for clearing with Smite in a 3 link just for buffs. Also ZiggyD's Dancing Dervish/Facebreaker looked really fun.

___________________________________________________________________________________

TREE
POB: https://pastebin.com/apr2ad5R
This POB features a level 91 example of what this build could be and levelling trees that you could follow.

Nodes to think off: you can grab Marauders life nodes if you want more life or take the rest of minion nodes on the left and near Witch. You can also expand to the left and take Grave Intentions to increase the number of zombies and Arching Blows to increase your damage. There are also 4 easy to reach sockets from this point.

And not PoB just in case

Bandits: Kill All

Pantheon: I prefer to clear with Lunaris, but switch to Solaris for bosses. For minor Shakari and Gruthkul are good choices.

Ascendancy

Definitely focus on getting Unwavering Crusade first.
3 and 4 are interchangeable, if you use a shield in offhand you probably would benefit from Bastion of Hope more. Harmony of Purpose is useless as it gives Conduit which shares charges only with party members, not with minions.

Gems

6l Smite chest:
Smite - Added Lightning - Elemental Damage - Ancestral Call - Physical to Lightning - Lightning Penetration
This is something that feels like a way to go. Swap Ancestral Call for Multistrike on bosses. Damage on Full Life could also look good here.

4l Zombies +2 Minion Helmet:
Raise Zombie - Minon Damage - Melee Physical Damage - Maim/Brutality (if using Mon'tregul's Grasp)

4l Spectres and AG (Gloves or Boots):
Raise Spectre - Animate Guardian - Blood Magic - Minion Life
(Carnage Chieftain spectres, act 2 "The Old Fields")

4l CWDT+IC and Relic
CWDT (lvl 1) + Immortal Call (lvl 3) + Increased duration + Summon Holy Relic

3l Herald+Wrath
Herald Of Purity + Inervate, Wrath

3l Movement - The Scourge
Whirling Blades (or Leap Slam) - Faster Attacks - Blind (Fortify)

Weapon swap:
Desecrate

Optional:
Vaal Summon Skeletons
Convocation
Stone Golem

Gear

Stat pripority on Rare Gear:
Res cap > Life > Minion Damage > Phys = Ele damage > Dexterity (to 111 for gems) > Minion Atack Speed > Atack Speed > Minion Speed

Weapons
Something we will try to reach is

The Scourge has an amazing synergy with offering up to 30% Atack Speed to us and up to 15% to our Minions, a whooping damage increase of 70% to both us and our minions and cute little ghosty wolfs the benefit from Smite and Wrath.

This claw is for us to use in our offhand. Just like in the picture at the start.

However, it is pretty hard to get at the league start so we will need to use something else.

A decent Rare mace with high Phys and some Elemental damage should do the trick. In offhand we can use pretty much anything but I think in most cases a shield would be preferable.

Uniques to consider:

Augyre (allows us to change Phys to Lightning for something else)

Helmet
A nice +2 Minion helmet with life and resistances should do the trick

Chest
Inpulsa or Belly of the Beast are the choices. At the begining of the league a Tabula should be fine.

Gloves
Rare gloves with Res and Live. You can also craft Minion Damage on them. Council gloves could be viale too.

Boots
Same as gloves. Movement speed can also be a pretty juicy bonus. Wake of Destruction are good at league start.

Belt
Viable choices are:

Jewels

At least one is must have. I am not yet sure if the second one is worth it.
All the other jewels should be aimed at increasing Life, Minion Damage, Resistances and help us reach required dexterity.
Examples:

Flasks

Animated Guardian
TBD

Spectres

"
To increase the damage of your Zombies, you run two Carnage Chieftain spectres. These spectres cast a spell that provides your Zombies and you with frenzy charges.
By linking the Spectre gem with a Blood Magic Support they are able to spam that spell, this is very important.

To get high-level versions of them you have to add them to your Desecrate corpse pool by reviving one Carnage Chieftain in "The Old Fields" in Act 2. Then you go to the highest level area you have access to and cast Desecrate there until Carnage Chieftain corpses show up. You temporarely need a Desecrate gem with a high enough gem level to allow you to create corpses that match the area level (Remember to switch back to your low level Desecrate gem after this). You only have to do this procedure everytime you progress into a higher area level and therefore want to have your spectres match that area level to make them tankier because your current spectres stay summoned after logouts.

Leveling

Useful uniques:
And Facebreaker gloves that can be pretty fun before you get a decent weapon.
Get Raise Zombies from Tarkleigh after killing Hillock.
Do the Mercy Mission quest for Ancestral Call and a free Quicksilver Flask.
At level 8 you can start using Added Lightning Damage Support and Minion Damage Support.
You can also start using Maim, but you can't get it as Templar. Ask a friend or wait until library in act 3.
You can also insert Leap Slam and keep it at level one to jump over some obstacles.
At level 16 you can start using your Herald and put Desecrate in weapon swap to level.
You can always check gems progression on http://poe-roadmap.com/
Step 1 around lvl 30
Step 2 early mapping
Step 3 lvl 91

Stay sane, Exile!
Last edited by BeJust on Sep 4, 2018, 3:48:58 PM
Last bumped on Dec 21, 2018, 8:19:56 PM
I feel like we have a similar build for the skill tree.

I'm surprised that you want to go for both zombies and all the heralds content at the same time. What is your opinion on that? I feel like I should focus only on HoP and Smite (or Dominating blow)

Here's my PoB: https://pastebin.com/hWXEY3B1
Zombies, Smite, and Summon Holy Relic should be good till you can get Herald of Purity and Dominating Blow. I made a similar build like you guys. https://pastebin.com/QsMCDbTB
Can u guys guide me ? I saw ZiggyD video from smite and it was amazing, and i decided to do that build. But as he said, DB can be used, but i didnt get the point if can be used as main skill, or in adition with smite (eg: DB and kill with smite to consume the corpse).

Smite seems to be the main skill right?
I was thinking of trying BV instead of Smite/Dominating Blow. Not sure how all the interactions work currently, but I feel like BV will be insane with HoP and Holy Relic. Scaling phys is a non-issue, and the guardian ascendancy makes the minions strong.
"
SacDeFromage wrote:

I'm surprised that you want to go for both zombies and all the heralds content at the same time. What is your opinion on that? I feel like I should focus only on HoP and Smite (or Dominating blow)

My idea is to have Smite and Zombies as the main source of damage while having Herald's sentinels there as a secondary source of damage. I am not sure whether I will even link it with anything. Herald's Sentinels seem to look like a secondary minion rather (something like Phantasms to me). But it is still early to say I we will have to test that later. And again you need to remember that linking herald with support gem will greatly increase the percentage of mana reserved and with a 4 linked Herald of Purity there will be no mana for aura left.

I see a lot of people a lot of people going for ES scaling and using Radiant Faith which I personally not going to do as the benefits of that are minimal and I would rather go for marauders health nodes. For example, following your build, we have 960 Mana in total assuming we have 75% mana reserved means 720 of mana is reserved. This means that Radiant Faith gives us 108 ES which then is increased to 188 with ES% from tree. Not really that much. The life reserve bonus of Radiant Faith is not even used. Radiant Faith would be great in a Low Life build, which I saw earlier on the forums.

But if we take the Time of Need - we get a lot of cool bonuses that help or survivability a ton. In conjunction with life staking 30% every 5 sec should help us a lot.

"
SacDeFromage wrote:

"
elitestyle wrote:
Can u guys guide me ? I saw ZiggyD video from smite and it was amazing, and i decided to do that build. But as he said, DB can be used, but i didnt get the point if can be used as main skill, or in adition with smite (eg: DB and kill with smite to consume the corpse).

Smite seems to be the main skill right?

You certainly can use dominating blow as a main, but it loses a core idea of maintaining the most beneficial summons. You will be constantly resummoning your sentinels and won't be able to maintain buffs. I see Smite as a better alternative because of the buff that it gives to you and your minions.

"
abs0lutezer0 wrote:
I was thinking of trying BV instead of Smite/Dominating Blow. Not sure how all the interactions work currently, but I feel like BV will be insane with HoP and Holy Relic. Scaling phys is a non-issue, and the guardian ascendancy makes the minions strong.

To be fair a lot of things can be viable with new "also affect you" nodes. BV being a strong should be fun to work, but I am sure how much will you benefit from non elemental Herald.
What do you think of Consecrated Path? its basically smite + charged dash together
Your build is severely lacking a chance to hit. Of course your Pob Link gives 95% chance to hit, but only because you don't adjust your Lvl. Your real hit chance is around 60% even though you invest 2 skill points in accuracy. To keep your build from feeling super clunky and falling off the damage, you should absolutely skill "Resolute Technique".
I alos thinl SMITE is the better DMG Skill.
But i thought about DB as Debuff skill and kill things with Smite to hold up my Sentinels of Dominance.

what u guys think? doable or not?
Would inpulsas be a good armor for this build since you convert dmg to lightning?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info