3.7 In-Depth Ice Golems Guide - Snowybois - On Hiatus for 3.8

Nice easy question which seems to have far deeper variations.
Level 20/20 ice golem gem is clearly better than a 21/0 but some claim there is a hidden value on the corrupt lvl 21?
So for now until i can get a 21/20 what is better?
I start Synthesis with this build and I have (level 90) :
- 4800 life + 300 es
- 1572 Mana (1828 without war banner)
- res : 80/87/114
- stat : STR 164 / DEX 136 / int 302
- MoM
- 11 jewels sockets in tree + 3 abyssal jewels

I try to craft a Hubris with enchant 40% golem dmg.
I try to 6L a Belly or craft a 6L body (elder) Maim.

Gear set up :

And
1x Anima Stone
1x Primordial Might
1x Primordial Eminence
8x Primordial Harmony
Ten Thousand Ways To Die ...
"
EDMOSES wrote:
Level 20/20 ice golem gem is clearly better than a 21/0 but some claim there is a hidden value on the corrupt lvl 21?
So for now until i can get a 21/20 what is better?

I'm not sure what you mean by hidden value?

Look at the "Level" chart on https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Summon_Ice_Golem

As the ice golem gains gem levels, he gains monster levels which give him a significant increase in base damage/base life.

At 20 with no gear/modifiers PoB will list your golem minion base stats as

20/0 MH Hit Damage 859-1289
21/0 MH Hit Damage 949-1423

(I honestly don't know how it arrives at these base minion numbers)

The 20% quality modifier is not a base minion stat modifier it's an additive % minion damage increase. So, if we were naked you're correct a 20/20 gem would be a significant increase over 949-1423.However we already have several hundred % additive +golem damage from our primordial harmony gems, the 20% from quality doesn't add up to much when compared to multiplying 500% or so from harmonies on a higher base gem.

If on the other hand the quality affects minion base stats, and i've misunderstood and it is instead a more multiplier 20/20 would be better. But POB/everything i've been read disputes that. Feel free to correct me, assuming that's not wrong though 21/0 is significantly better.

You can use the tool path of building to sim it yourself and verify what i'm saying and get a better idea of how minion levels interact with our gear/links.

Last edited by Utopian238 on Mar 18, 2019, 9:22:15 AM
"
titides wrote:
I try to craft a Hubris with enchant 40% golem dmg.
I try to 6L a Belly or craft a 6L body (elder) Maim.

Your gear is looking super good, buy a 21/0 summon ice golem while you level up your 18/20. Level 21 vs 18 will be a big jump in damage compared to your investment.

Are you liking leap slam more than shield charge in your fortify setup?
Mika updated the necromancer Pastebin and provided the following advice for it.

"
mika2salo wrote:

After few weeks of testing, here's my upgraded PoB :
https://pastebin.com/aCwNfNEB

Pob Buddy for online PoB
https://poe.technology/poebuddy/aCwNfNEB

Things I noticed with Ice Golems :

POSITIVE
- Their single target DPS is excellent (They kill bosses very fast)
- They can clear packs at decent speed (Multi-striking cartwheel is the key)
- They don't really need extra support from summoner (No EE activation, curses or auras needed)
- If AI works, they can continue to clear off-screen in linear maps

NEGATIVE
- Their AI is bad (They switch between cartwheel and weaker attacks which results in DPS loss)
- It's extemely hard to add damage to them after certain point (curses & auras have minimal effect)
- They can't do phys reflect maps (They just instant kill themselves)
- Physical damage taken in maps is brutal (Enemy armor can't be "lowered" with EE or curses)
- They require lots of movement speed (You had great point about this one)

I have now tested Zombies, Skeletons, Specters and other Golems with Ice Golems and can safely say that only TVs are worth using with Ice Golems.

- Skellies needed too much work and were slow
- Zombies die to endgame boss damage
- Physical Specs are garbage
- Other Golems steal Ice Golems Numbers and don't mix with curses, auras

Only TVs work great even solo, so they are great pair for Ice Golems which work as solo too.

I changed my PoB to have dual defensive curses as adding curses / auras to boost Ice Golems damage was very uneffective thanks to their skill swapping.

I also swapped EE triggering skills to same as in my Flame Golem build.

Animate Guardian also got new items as Dying Breath + Leer Cast boosts both Ice Golems and Tukohamas separately.

I did lot's of boss runs with the new setup and really, really liked it :
- It's super safe and damage is excellent
- Enemies barely move thanks to Temporal Chains and you have 8-9k EHP to tank hits after high tier Enfeeble damage reduction
- Bosses get blinded and taunted very fast
- Phase Run + Temporal Chains lets you run through packs full speed
- All minion speed buffs from items, skill tree, Ascendancy, Animate Guardian gear and offering makes Ice Golems super fast
- In Phys Reflect maps you can just drop Ice Golems as Tukohama Vanguard Specters are more than capable to clear with nice speed thanks to multiple totems
- All minions are tanky, so you can use them in endgame boss fights (maybe not Animate Guardian in Uber Elder).

It looks really good, I'm pretty happy with the Brutality MoM setup for this league so soon I'll be updating my thoughts on it and swapping over to the Necromancer variant to give it a shot. Will report my findings back later on.
Last edited by Utopian238 on Mar 19, 2019, 11:38:42 AM
Looking at the brutality tree its really really hard to give up on the minion wheel on the left. Also in POB is the damage listed per Golem or for all 6?
"
xbryguyx wrote:
Looking at the brutality tree its really really hard to give up on the minion wheel on the left. Also in POB is the damage listed per Golem or for all 6?

Check out the tree i'm currently using, it's a great in-between until you have all of your end-game gear and are ready to transition out of the minion wheels.

The damage in PoB is per golem.

EDIT: Adding a PoB because I just realized I'm ready to transition out of the minion rings. Here is what I was using though.
https://pastebin.com/MsQpBeid
Last edited by Utopian238 on Mar 19, 2019, 11:56:48 AM

Does the Golems chill the enemies? :)
"
Didipop wrote:

Does the Golems chill the enemies? :)

If you run the hatred setup instead of Brutality yes golems will Chill enemies, however they will not benefit from those gloves only you will.
I did some crafting got some decent results

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info