Ask a Question Game - Backwater Thread

"
1453R wrote:
Spoiler
That was a really good question. I should start drafting real zingers like that myself.

Yeah, me too.

Q.) Which type of bear?

Brown bear. In particular, Otis.

"
A bear in Alaska is now famous - and he probably has no idea why.

This week the Katmai National Park Service declared a brown bear named Otis to be the fattest bear caught on camera. The park decided with a Facebook competition after allowing visitors to vote on a series of photos of some of its resident bears. Otis's actual weight, however, remains a mystery.

"We don't have a scale quite big enough," Anela Ramos, a representative for the Katmai National Park, told The Dodo about the roughly 20-year-old bear. "But we estimate about 1,000 pounds, give or take."

The average weight for a male brown bear is around 700 pounds.

Besides being decidedly plump, Otis has one floppy ear and a distinctive dark blonde coat. He's also missing two front teeth. "That makes it really impressive that he's been able to eat so much salmon," Ramos said. "We all know how difficult it is to eat after going to the doctor and getting some teeth pulled!"

Otis lives in the Brooks River region of the Katmai National Park and Preserve, but in the summer, he stays in one spot - a section in the river perfect for salmon fishing. "We call it 'his office' or 'Otis's office,'" Ramos said. "He patiently waits for fish to come up to him, and he's so diligent that he actually sleeps in his office while fishing. He's one of the bears people can watch regularly on the bear cam."

So what’s Otis’s secret to becoming a champion fat bear? Basically: Don’t move very much and let the food come to you. “He’s a zen master, Otis, he sits there and waits for the fish to come to him and he doesn’t expend any energy unnecessarily,” park volunteer David Kopshever said in a Facebook video.

The park elaborated in another Facebook post: “It’s survival of the fattest in the bear world, and 480 Otis has found some seriously successful strategies for plumping up. Fishing primarily in the far pool (AKA Otis’s office,) 480 stays out of harm’s way, avoiding more dominant bears like 856 and 747, who prefer to fish in the productive ‘jacuzzi’ area. With patience and learned experience, Otis saves his energy by remaining in one place all day, converting salmon into the maximum amount of lard around his belly.”

Otis, who is believed to be 19 or 20 years old, has been seen eating as many as 40 fish per day, which—combined with his massive weight—means he’ll be well prepared for winter. This is also the second time he’s won the fattest bear award.

"Otis may not be the most dominant or lively bear around, but he is the fattest," the park wrote in a Facebook post.

Otis's physique is certainly a sight to behold, but his weight also signals a healthy ecosystem. "Seeing big fat healthy bears is an indicator of a healthy environment," Ramos said. "If we were to see them emaciated, then there's something wrong with the system."

Q: If you could choose one fantasy race to inhabit earth, which would it be, and why?
Last edited by erdelyii on Sep 20, 2018, 9:46:36 AM
Q: If you could choose one fantasy race to inhabit earth, which would it be, and why?
A: Kender from the dragonlance books. Too funny.

Q: If you were (without preparation) transported back in time 5.000 years, but lived in the same place: What would kill you first?
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and
(='.'=) paste Bunny to help him
(")_(") gain world Domination.
Last edited by Ersatzdrummel on Sep 20, 2018, 10:23:22 AM
A.) During the winter months? Exposure.
A2.) During the summer months? Being an overweight 'Murican lardass with a
negative-three Survival modifier, i.e. probably still exposure.

Q.) Imagine you are given the ability to summon the gold swirling around in molten from in the core of the earth to the surface. There's billions of times more of it down there than there is up here on the surface, wealth vast beyond imagining - as well as extreme danger. How do you decide to use this ability, knowing that you could at once be the richest and the most hunted person on Earth if you're not careful?

Extra points for detailed answer!
"
1453R wrote:

Q.) Imagine you are given the ability to summon the gold swirling around in molten from in the core of the earth to the surface. There's billions of times more of it down there than there is up here on the surface, wealth vast beyond imagining - as well as extreme danger. How do you decide to use this ability, knowing that you could at once be the richest and the most hunted person on Earth if you're not careful?

Extra points for detailed answer!

A)Carefully, small bits at a time, in order to not expose myself and keep the value of said gold up. And noone would see me nor know that I have this ability.

Q)Thinking about previous question, how would you cope with becoming suddenly wealthy beyond imagination? What would your first steps be?
"Metas rotate all the time, eventually the developers will buff melee"
PoE 2013-2018
A.) The most thorough online search I could perform, resulting in the hiring of the most reputable financial adviser/advisory service I could locate. There are, I believe, individuals or firms who specialize in assisting the suddenly wealthy, such as game show or lottery winners, better handle their newfound wealth.

The world loves preying on people with insufficient knowledge; were I suddenly wealthy, no document would be signed nor any agreements made until and unless I had the chance to acquire expert services in the handling of money. Finding someone whose best bet and clearest stake in this newly acquired fortune is ensuring it's kept in good order and to my satisfaction would be priority number one. After I've ensured that this sudden windfall will not become someone else's sudden windfall through shenanery and duplicity?

Then it's on to figuring out what to acquire, who to support, and how/how much to share. Step 2 would likely be paying off the mortgage, though. No sense whatsoever in having debt hanging over one's head when you've got unimaginable wealth sitting in secured coffers somewhere. Boring shit like that, mostly.

Heh, though at least one ludicrous shopping spree would be involved. Where's the fun in being suddenly wealthy beyond imagination if you can't make a few purely materialistic fond daydreams come true? Untold millions drop into my lap? There's a few rare firearms and the most bitchin' possible desktop gaming setup out there with my shiny gold-plated name on them.

Q.) In a surprising fit of on-topicness for OT...describe the unique item you'd make if Charan bought a(nother) unique item and bequeathed it to you. Bonus points for describing why Charan has bequeathed this item to you in the fictional timeline this situation occurs in.
"
1453R wrote:

Q.) In a surprising fit of on-topicness for OT...describe the unique item you'd make if Charan bought a(nother) unique item and bequeathed it to you. Bonus points for describing why Charan has bequeathed this item to you in the fictional timeline this situation occurs in.

Answer: An item that is completely ironic, rewarding things that pokes fun at things that are never pursued. Also anti-speed meta.

For instance, bonuses for unlinked sockets or more damage based on lower movement speed while movement skills don’t work.

Something like this:

Armor/Evasion Body Armor
10% increased life for each unlinked socket
5% less damage per 2% movement speed
100% more damage with 0% or less increased movement speed
Chest plate can only be removed in hideout and towns
Using a movement skill removes 10% of your life and energy shield
Increases to light radius apply additional IIQ while solo

Charan clearly gave it to me because of my guilds awesome tag.

Question:

How do Rogue Exiles get so far down into the delve without a crawler or flares?
Last edited by Nubatron on Sep 20, 2018, 12:49:35 PM
They had a crawler, but their party leader ran off with it.

Question: what is your favourite texture in PoE and why?
Save a Carrot, Eat a Rabbit!
A: The floor in the Atziri trio room, because it's beautiful colours and those bloody smears look like calligraphy, plus the grates are like victorian lace iron and surely to drain all the blood - to where? It took an effort to get to, and for a while I'd only get a glimpse of it before triggering the fight, which covered the floor in all that chaos and corpses and I'd fail. It took me a long time to be able to stand there afterwards, watch the chaos vanish, and walk around it safely with a different point of view. I like how the Uber texture is the same.

So I guess because it's beautiful, and memorable. It's satisfying to do Atziri now and reflect on how much I've learned.

This is not me, but one I found in an image search.

Q: Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast?
Last edited by erdelyii on Sep 21, 2018, 7:48:59 PM
"
erdelyii wrote:

Q: Why do toasters always have a setting that burns the toast?

A. Two reasons, some people actually like that, I know they're weird, and different bread cooks different.

Q. What is the worst movie you've ever sat through in it's entirety.
Oooh, that's an easy one: Freddy Got Fingered. A "friend" recommended it.

Q: What time is it?
Save a Carrot, Eat a Rabbit!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info