[3.3] Octavian's RainbowTrap Fire Trap Build. Everything viable.

"
MisFilemon wrote:
Hi, very nice video guide on youtube. I checked price of the Malahai's Awakening on standard and now its about 50-60 c soo its quite expennsive and when its our core item u think it will be able to run this build as a league starter?? How much can this helm cost at the begining of the league let's ssay on second day?

Depends how lucky you get with prophecy's I guess. Malachai's Simula and upgrade yourself.

Since even on horrendous standard that would only run you 10c+1chance for the Prophecy and Simula.
"
Artwebb1986 wrote:
Am I missing something for that Unnatural Instinct Jewel ? Would you not get more than 4 small passives ? 9%cast speed which doesn't matter but 10dex, 10int, 6% spell dmg as well ?

You're correct. I just didn't list those since they don't add a lot to the build, though the 6 spell damage is probably the best.
If this is viable as a league starter, how would one go about doing so? This looks pretty fun and I would love to do it but i'm pretty terrible at coming up with stuff myself.
"
Mosvicious wrote:
If this is viable as a league starter, how would one go about doing so? This looks pretty fun and I would love to do it but i'm pretty terrible at coming up with stuff myself.
It should be a strong league starter. Obviously you won't be shredding the end-game like in the videos at the start since you don't have Malachai's Awakening or good abyss jewels yet, but fire traps are strong by themselves. They should be even stronger early on than before with the 40% and 20% boosts to hits and DoT's even if the throw time is a little worse, though they'll be slightly weaker in the end game (mostly due to fewer traps thrown per second and fewer per toss leading to a little less life regen and AoE).

Scion is a bit harder to level with traps than Shadow since you are travelling for the first 15ish levels, but it's quite doable. I'll probably head out of the NE Scion point (spell damage and intelligence to Harrier) with the intent to respec most of those points later. I'd also skip the crit nodes early where possible and respec to them later. Something like this: www.poeurl.com/b3as

You can also grab those resist nodes below the Scion start temporarily to make leveling easier.

Beyond that, it should be about the same as before, so you can watch Octavian0's video guide for gearing priority and reasoning.
Last edited by tanis0 on Aug 31, 2018, 1:47:26 AM
In the Video, like doing Uber Atziri, the Builds looked really safe, can someone explain me the Layers of Defense?

But i am still not sure how this will be good for Delve´s, but that is because i have really bad experience in trap Builds, to be honest ^^"
"
DunklerKoenig wrote:
In the Video, like doing Uber Atziri, the Builds looked really safe, can someone explain me the Layers of Defense?

But i am still not sure how this will be good for Delve´s, but that is because i have really bad experience in trap Builds, to be honest ^^"

From what I can tell:

* You can throw traps at a large distance. This one is kind of obvious, you don't have to facetank.

* For bosses you can often buffer your traps up to 20+ ish between dialog or animations.

* Offense is the best defense: You tend to kill stuff faster than it can kill you.

* Both Sabo and Ascendant get the 1% per second life regeneration when a trap triggers which can stack up to 20%. This is pretty solid sustain.

* Shroud gives a 20% chance to trigger a 3 sec physical immunity. However, this has a 45 sec cooldown (I think?). I haven't used Shroud personally, but I imagine it helps to prevent massive hits in boss fights before your sustain kicks in. The effect might be totally situational, I have no idea :)

* Oak flask boosts elemental resistances if you balance them right.

* Immortal Call CWDT anti-nuke.

* Sabo has additional immunity against Shock, Ignite, and Blind and blinds enemies in a smallish area around him.

* Ascendant is overall beefier thanks to more skillpoints and easy-to-acquire life nodes.

Apart from these points you can of course explore other defensive options, for example Siphoning Trap (which I found underwhelming), Acrobatics, etc.
Last edited by sariq on Aug 31, 2018, 10:09:54 AM
The build seems pretty decent and lovable, but i only have one (big) annoyance.

In videos he seems to shred bosses in seconds, however he has +4 fire trap shroud equipped, is he not?

Needless to say the +4 is not longer available in Delve, even in Incursion a +4 shroud was SUPER expensive and out of reach for most players.

Even now in Delve, a +2 shroud for endgame will be pretty expensive, and considering the fact that people praise the + levels for fire trap and how much dmg it gives, i would dare say that the damage presented in the videos is a bit misleading now.

We will never have the damage shown in the videos, it is not possible anymore, and most probably we will never have even a +2 shroud.

Please feel free to prove me wrong.
Last edited by nel0angel0 on Aug 31, 2018, 2:05:21 PM
"
nel0angel0 wrote:
The build seems pretty decent and lovable, but i only have one (big) annoyance.

In videos he seems to shred bosses in seconds, however he has +4 fire trap shroud equipped, is he not?

Needless to say the +4 is not longer available in Delve, even in Incursion a +4 shroud was SUPER expensive and out of reach for most players.

Even now in Delve, a +2 shroud for endgame will be pretty expensive, and considering the fact that people praise the + levels for fire trap and how much dmg it gives, i would dare say that the damage presented in the videos is a bit misleading now.

We will never have the damage shown in the videos, it is not possible anymore, and most probably we will never have even a +2 shroud.

Please feel free to prove me wrong.

I'm not a math expert by any means but I imagine the buff to fire traps should offset the loss of gem levels we will lose. Right?
"
Mosvicious wrote:
I'm not a math expert by any means but I imagine the buff to fire traps should offset the loss of gem levels we will lose. Right?
It's hard to answer. I'm not sure if / how the burning ground part stacks so I'll ignore that part. If you were going to be throwing traps constantly with both builds, the hit portion would do ~5% less now than before.

If you're just going to throw 1 set of traps or you prep a stage-based boss and can set down your max number of traps, the damage is about 15% more now since the 20% throwing speed nerf won't matter.

Fire trap deals about 21% less damage at level 23 than at level 25. So if we're losing 2 levels on a shroud due to a lack of double corruptions, we're looking at like 25% less damage than before while you're standing in place spamming traps and about 9% less when throwing 1 set or prepping bosses.

So it's a nerf, but I don't think it's bad enough to invalidate the videos. The loss of AoE and less regen from the Saboteur node are probably bigger factors.
Last edited by tanis0 on Aug 31, 2018, 9:44:05 PM
"
tanis0 wrote:
It's hard to answer. I'm not sure if / how the burning ground part stacks so I'll ignore that part. If you were going to be throwing traps constantly with both builds, the hit portion would do ~5% less now than before.

If you're just going to throw 1 set of traps or you prep a stage-based boss and can set down your max number of traps, the damage is about 15% more now since the 20% throwing speed nerf won't matter.

Fire trap deals about 21% less damage at level 23 than at level 25. So if we're losing 2 levels on a shroud due to a lack of double corruptions, we're looking at like 25% less damage than before while you're standing in place spamming traps and about 9% less when throwing 1 set or prepping bosses.

So it's a nerf, but I don't think it's bad enough to invalidate the videos. The loss of AoE and less regen from the Saboteur node are probably bigger factors.

The best way to compensate the loss of +skills on fire trap (from shroud) is to go Saboteur.
From a fast pob swap i made (using exact same gear as OP, removing the +4 gem level from shroud):
losing
- ascendant pathfinder perks
- around 400 life (previous around 5800, now around 5400)
- around 2% life regen from passives

gaining
- 10% less dmg taken (from sabo) which imo compensates very nicely the 400 life lost
- 20% chance for traps to trigger additional time (huge)
- generally much more trap dmg from passive tree and sabo tree, which more than enough compensates the loss of +4 gem level.

prove me wrong
https://pastebin.com/qz6Nn8Ve

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info