How would an auction house be worse exactly?

I'll reiterate: Chris Wilson has specifically said that most people do not trade.

Traders are a minority of the player base.

(A logical extrapolation is that most people who do trade do it only to buy a few key items, people who trade constantly are a subset of a subset).
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
"
Unquietheart wrote:
I'll reiterate: Chris Wilson has specifically said that most people do not trade.

(A logical extrapolation is that most people who do trade do it only to buy a few key items, people who trade constantly are a subset of a subset).

I can also confirm that I only trade a couple of times for core items I need for my build. The game does not revolve around trading. Thus an AH is not necessary. What we have not is more than enough.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
It's always the same sh*t basically. Vocal minority on the interwebz thinks that they speak for many. The simple fact that you're on the forums already puts you in the "hardcore" subset.

But let's not offrail, let's ask if let's say.. 20% of players trade - how many of those 20% actually sell many things?

When I'm playing, I buy a fair amount of items for my characters, trying not to buy maps etc. But I only sell big ticket items if I drop some, mostly 1Ex+ stuff, unless it's start of the league and I sell 10c+ items.

Now, I'm playing this game for many years now, I'm surely a subset of a subset, and still I don't want to go through the hassle of trading too much.

At the end of the league I have multiple geared characters and the items go succumb in standard. BECAUSE I'm not willing to sell them. It's too much fkng hassle. Now imagine, just IMAGINE, I'd be able to sell all my gear in an instant...

I make a character, gear him with items worth 5 Ex. I don't like the character / build anymore, so I sell all of his gear INSTANTLY in an AH and buy gear for a different one. Just imagine, ALL people are doing this. Even the 80% that NEVER trade, even people like me who do trade but don't wanna waste much time trading. The market will actually EXPLODE with supply, like many people are preaching already...

You guys only want an AH because you think, things will mostly stay the same if there were one, but they won't. Without a bound-on-equip system, the only items that will be worth something, are gonna be items of which there are less that active playing population. And believe me, that's not many.

Same goes for maps, and every other item you want an AH for, like currency. The only reason, I have masses of currency on my stash tabs is because I don't like the trading process. If everyone is willing to trade, the prices for lower values currencies gonna drop into nothingness.
Last edited by Th3c0r3ok on Jun 19, 2018, 8:57:04 AM
I love the way trading works in this game. The free market and ability to price your items the way you want is liberating. I think trading in this game is enjoyable and makes magic finding even more fun.
Sincerely,
Crazy Woman
"
Bone2flesh wrote:
I can also confirm that I only trade a couple of times for core items I need for my build. The game does not revolve around trading. Thus an AH is not necessary. What we have not is more than enough.

I agree.

It's possible and fun to play with minimum amount of trading - or no trading at all. But one thing is certain; if an automated AH would see the light of day in PoE, this game will be centered around trade - and trade only.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
But one thing is certain; if an automated AH would see the light of day in PoE, this game will be centered around trade - and trade only.

Exactly. people are so blind and cannot see this.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will take you down to their level and beat you trough experience."
"
Bone2flesh wrote:

Most people don't care, sadly, and think that everyone trades for everything all the time. They are so driven by "I want to sell an buy fast and efficient" that they can't see or don't care that an AH would more or less destroy the game - for what GGG claims to be the majority. Don't care about what GGG writes in the manifesto either.

"Forget reality and real numbers, forget the game as a whole, I WANT MY GEAR NOW!"

No one in their right mind can claim that the current trade system is perfect. Far from. But an automated auction house is worse.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
For many, gaming and a huge sense of entitlement seem to go hand in hand. The game is supposed to be challenging.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Bone2flesh wrote:

Most people don't care, sadly, and think that everyone trades for everything all the time. They are so driven by "I want to sell an buy fast and efficient" that they can't see or don't care that an AH would more or less destroy the game - for what GGG claims to be the majority. Don't care about what GGG writes in the manifesto either.

"Forget reality and real numbers, forget the game as a whole, I WANT MY GEAR NOW!"

No one in their right mind can claim that the current trade system is perfect. Far from. But an automated auction house is worse.

Why not have options, you have a league to play it is called SSF, give us players who want an AH, and make it a good one ours. Everyone happy, you don't like to trade you can solo all content Great! It is a win win... The only people who I see making outlandish responses are the old salty dogs who want other players to have as hard of a time as they did during beta "ehhh back in my day we walked up hill against piety both ways knee deep in chaos damage, and we liked it that way! And if you don't like it that way then you need to go play D3 the maze was not meant for you!"
Last edited by snwkill on Jun 19, 2018, 10:35:59 AM
"
Unquietheart wrote:

Okay, let's say this is actually true.

Then why has it also been Officially Said that drop rates within the game has been designed specifically around motivating trade?

Isn't that counter-intuitive to your first statement?

Wouldn't that mean, over time, design changes should have naturally catered more to the majority no-trade audience rather than the traders?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info