Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

"
Miffy23 wrote:
A good amount of healthy scepticism and concern for a developer studio you support is good, and warranted. The kind of vitriol and total hyperbole displayed here by most posters is certainly not.

Tencent owns stakes in many games and dev studios, and few if any have actually been impacted in any noticable manner by the shift in shareholders.

Oh, and just fyi for those of you either too young or too uneducated to get how this game of capitalism is played: selling your company after it becomes successful enough to turn a profit on sale is the entire point of the endeavour.

> mfw people actually believe small indy developers will turn into full-fledged autonomous companies without being merged/acquired etc in 2k18

This. 100%. Educate yourself first before you get others involved in your negative made up scenarios.
Well, this has been an enjoyable ride since I first bought that $5 Beta key back in 2012. I really had a lot of fun watching this game evolve over the years and coming back after short breaks to find new content, abilities, and passives. However, I think the time has come to rip the band-aid off and walk away.

The idea that my hard earned dollars will now go to some faceless investors rather than a small team of dedicated developers really has me irked. I don't buy it that you needed to sell 80% of the company to bring on 15ish employees. As others have mentioned, buy low/sell high. Chris probably thinks PoE has hit its peak and he's cashing in. I think the saying down there is, "Good on ya".
"
Travesty9090 wrote:
The predictable scenario here is that Tencent and GGG have underestimated the fact that people's willingness to buy supporter packs/MTXs is to support an independent company. Now, that willingness declines, Tencent gets pissed their ROI isn't what they wanted, and they make changes. Then it's RIP.

Pretty much this... and i understand why you would not want to buy supporterpacks etc now. Kinda felt involved with GGG and their progress and happily paid for them to make progress, when 80% of it now goes to Tencent it just feels wrong... Im probably done.
"
"
Miffy23 wrote:
A good amount of healthy scepticism and concern for a developer studio you support is good, and warranted. The kind of vitriol and total hyperbole displayed here by most posters is certainly not.

Tencent owns stakes in many games and dev studios, and few if any have actually been impacted in any noticable manner by the shift in shareholders.

Oh, and just fyi for those of you either too young or too uneducated to get how this game of capitalism is played: selling your company after it becomes successful enough to turn a profit on sale is the entire point of the endeavour.

> mfw people actually believe small indy developers will turn into full-fledged autonomous companies without being merged/acquired etc in 2k18

This. 100%. Educate yourself first before you get others involved in your negative made up scenarios.

You sir need to be quoted on every page, ignorance is dominant here, and we, the sane, need to fight against it !
"
Let me ask you and everyone else here, what do you know about Tencent that is completely true other than what others here have failed to present? If you have nothing then stop it with all the negativity and just enjoy the damn game

People who have paid GGG as much money as we have are entitled to complain when we are concerned about the direction of things. The VAST majority of times - in fact... every time in living memory - a small studio is bought out, the corporate vision of the parent company inexorably takes to the forefront.

Given how despicable a company Tencent is, being an extension of one of the planet's most oppressive and murderous regimes, this is not news that makes me smile. Going beyond the horrible atrocities of the ChiComs, I am deeply concerned about changes to the game proper, based on the numerous horrible things Tencent has done to other "acquisitions."

And yes... this is an "acquisition."
Congratulations.

I hope you use the money & resources in the future to make more awesome games & share your ideas.

Xbox announcement v2 electric boogaloo, everybody said the sky would fall back then and it looks like not much changed after that either when Fall of Oriath arrived on the scene.
vote with your wallets *IF* the development takes a turn for the worse and not before, but then again this community has become rotten enough in my eyes since the closed beta it's barely worth participating in these days. Says something when I decided to log in just to post this.
1337 21gn17ur3
Tencent literally ruined league of legends from A to Z since they bought it , so goodbye exiles it was a nice game.
2 years from now game will be called Path of Broker..
That is why FREE TO PLAY games is ALWAYS lose to Buy to Play games.

Soon or later - we will be drowning in HUGE amount of MTX and "pay to play" options. Chris can't do anything when Tencent owning more than 51% of company. So first, they will change the CEO of GGG and than do what evar they want.

GGG have no chance to survive in this world with F2P.
And anyways, for me - it's better to buy game and future DLC than play F2P games.

Thx god soon we'll see anouncment of Diablo IV.

PS. Congratulations to Chris, i hope he got a lot of money, so he don't need to make anymore games in his life. The life goal complete?
PSS. The other option to Chris, is starting to make a NEW game, now he have A LOT of money for make BEST ARPG game. But PoE - is no anymore.
Aaron Ciccheli, a guy who made millions running Diablo and PoE RMT sites, owns a significant portion of GGG. How's that for a conflict of interest? 7.5% of your supporter pack money goes to this guy.
Last edited by Pibadi on May 21, 2018, 4:48:27 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info