Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

"
cipher_nemo wrote:

Hahaha! Yeah, that always annoys me. :-) Usually I just say "no thank you" and move on. Next time I'm going to have to ask them for more details next time to see the clueless look on their faces. They don't know, they're just told to ask it.

Ask them how much is spent directly to the people!
As someone who worked for many association before seeing they were all the same...
Step 1 Gather money
Step 2 Pay ppl that set up the gathering a % of the money (their salary, that was mine. Usually 50% of what you collected)
Step 3 pay the boss a % of the remaining money (70-80% of their salary as they have a few groups running
in the city)
Step 4 pay the region boss a % of the money (50-60% their salary as they have a few cities running the gig)
Step 5 use half of the remaining 10% to make parties to solicitate the rich more in expensive dinner and luxurious nonsense.
Step 6 ---> Go to step 2

Step 1 is repeated in occasion to fill the coffers for events that bring in more money for more events... In the end, 0.5% to 3% go to the actual cause targeted in a direct manner.
Last edited by petitcrabe1 on May 22, 2018, 3:58:19 PM
"
Shayda123 wrote:
"
zagibu wrote:
Too bad, I was on the brink of buying one of the latest supporter packs, but I guess I can save that money now.

Uninstalled.

What a stupid excuse to not support GGG anymore :-D

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▒▒▒▒░░░░░ cipher_nemo ░░░░░▒▒▒▒ │ Waggro Level: ♠○○○○ │ 1244
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
I fully understand the essence of business decisions. I think about the future. I am from Europe and I know that Europe is not a key customer. I remember the acquisition of Blizz. These are not pleasant memories.
"
Shayda123 wrote:
"
zagibu wrote:
Too bad, I was on the brink of buying one of the latest supporter packs, but I guess I can save that money now.

Uninstalled.

What a stupid excuse to not support GGG anymore :-D

I'm disappointed that you don't think he is allowed to vote with his money. Aren't all consumers allowed to do that? Don't you do that?
Brief background: Played one hour in 2014, quit (wasn't for me at the time), came back late in 2017, really enjoying the game since then. Began in standard to figure out the game, didn't bother with Poke-League because I wasn't interested in catching 'em all. Might try the next league, might stay in standard; who knows. So, first post 'ev3r!' and here we go:

I'm disappointed in this news. I've spent quite a bit of money in my short experience with the game (no regrets to date!) because I've enjoyed it immensely and I wanted to support the people making it. However, I don't want to support a giant game-gobbling international behemoth. The game may change, it may not as a result of this decision, but it changes how I feel about the game because it changes where my spending will end up going, and that is a reality of selling 80% of one's company to another company.

You were swallowed by a whale, and I'm not sure I want to be part of feeding that particular whale. This will require some consideration on my part when all I really wanted to do was enjoy the game and give YOU my money in appreciation for your excellent efforts.

We shall see how this shakes out. It may work very well, it may not. I'm just...disappointed that this was the direction you went corporately. I think it's a shame for New Zealand's gaming industry as well. Local control would have been so much more preferable.

Still, I hope it works out for you. I'm just not sure it works out for me.

Edit: Additionally, to say Tencent has "invested" in GGG is a bit euphemistic. They bought 80% of the company. That's not simply an 'investment,' that's a purchase.
Last edited by x_Navigator on May 22, 2018, 4:24:59 PM
"
x_Navigator wrote:
Brief background: Played one hour in 2014, quit (wasn't for me at the time), came back late in 2017, really enjoying the game since then. Began in standard to figure out the game, didn't bother with Poke-League because I wasn't interested in catching 'em all. Might try the next league, might stay in standard; who knows. So, first post 'ev3r!' and here we go:

I'm disappointed in this news. I've spent quite a bit of money in my short experience with the game (no regrets to date!) because I've enjoyed it immensely and I wanted to support the people making it. However, I don't want to support a giant game-gobbling international behemoth. The game may change, it may not as a result of this decision, but it changes how I feel about the game because it changes where my spending will end up going, and that is a reality of selling 80% of one's company to another company.

You were swallowed by a whale, and I'm not sure I want to be part of feeding that particular whale. This will require some consideration on my part when all I really wanted to do was enjoy the game and give YOU my money in appreciation for your excellent efforts.

We shall see how this shakes out. It may work very well, it may not. I'm just...disappointed that this was the direction you went corporately. I think it's a shame for New Zealand's gaming industry as well. Local control would have been so much more preferable.

Edit: Additionally, to say Tencent has "invested" in GGG is a bit euphemistic. They bought 80% of the company. That's not simply an 'investment,' that's a purchase.

You just took the words off my toughts, exactly. NAILED IT.
Playing for joy ♥

If interested, check out my Hideout(s): /view-thread/2226019
"
Moribundus wrote:
"
x_Navigator wrote:

You just took the words off my toughts, exactly. NAILED IT.

sad but true :(

I am not planning to buy any more supporter packs as well. Don't get me wrong... the packs are ok from a value point of view but the MTX are waaayy too overpriced. And now i can't even tell myself anymore that it is ok cause i directly help GGG with it to grow. From now on it's more like giving Tencent most of the money. And i can't do that, sorry! (The sad part is, that i was supporting GGG since Aug 4, 2011)
Last edited by Jibblies on May 23, 2018, 6:11:11 AM
From now on it's just a matter of how emotionally engaged supportesr are,before this game becomes a new p2w game.
Sad times.
"
x_Navigator wrote:

+1

I'm sad GGG :(
Life will be technically better Soon TM
It's not great news per sé, but I for one am going to withhold premature judgement.
If, and only IF this turns out to be a decision with far-reaching negative consequences as quite a few people are inevitably wont to assume immediately despite assurances to the contrary, there will be more than enough time to complain about it.

Until then, no need to paint a depressing picture that's a bad caricature of reality. Only drags ya down.

If, and only IF this leads to PoE becoming a p2w mess, I will drop any and all support of the game. If, however, it remains the game I've come to love and enjoy, I'll continue to support work well done - that's simply positive reinforcement. GGG presumably know to what design decisions and business practices they owe their success, and until I see evidence of the contrary I'll assume that they will strive to keep it that way.

EDIT: They have earned enough of my trust over the years that I'll at the very least give them the benefit of the doubt here. If it works out, all's well and good.
Last edited by Shyanmar on May 22, 2018, 5:30:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info