Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

"
Kiyoniz wrote:
"
Waitubold wrote:

Now, I will be less likely to buy new supporter packs

And that is exactly why you SHOULD be afraid. Lots of supporters will no longer be supporting the game because of this move. Which COULD have the effect of Tencent trying to force GGG to do something horrible to try to make more money. It's generally what happens when you get higher up execs that only are in it for the money.

I love the way you quoted only the first half of my sentence as if it proved your point. I guess the other half, "but that has more to do with the fact that the game's meta is being increasingly homegeneous and stale, and not so much because Tencent is taking a cut of the proceeds," must not have worked quite so well? For the record, though, I am not afraid. I'm slightly bored with the game, lately, but Tencent does not hold any special terror for me. And I still think that GGG have been good enough to their player base, for enough years, to have earned the benefit of the doubt. Which I also said in that same post from which you pulled half a sentence.
#ssf_is_better
#make_necropolis_core
#make_melee_better
Last edited by Waitubold on May 21, 2018, 8:10:03 PM
Last edited by StickDude on Dec 1, 2022, 4:42:17 PM
"
opeth wrote:
At the end of the day all I see are a bunch of Paying Customers who know absolutely jack...

I fixed it for you.
Exilecon in Tiananmen Square 2019!
✰CARD✰ The Survivalist
I can’t buy any more big supporter packs because the forum only supports showing 7 legacy tags.
"
StickDude wrote:
Sorry GGG, I won't be buying anymore microtransactions, I don't want to give money to Tencent.

same here !
why peopple so mad? if the game continue the same way i will pay for supporter, no more.
"
Mentoya wrote:
"
Xeian wrote:
I will never buy a single supporter pack anymore.

Who Fucking Cares!!!!!!!

Uh.... GGG?
I've been supporting Path of Exile and GGG for a while now and have bought several supporter packs (including one for the Incursion league). Not anymore. It's not supporting GGG (a small independent games developer) anymore but a billion dollar company.
Obviously, for Tencent, this is a boon. I have no doubt that PoE has been a good earner for GGG (or PoE would have died long ago) and now Tencent has a cash cow.
But, in my perspective, and even though it's still the same team developing the game, I don't have the intention of supporting a ginormous enterprise known for its p2w games in China.
Shit GGG, if you wanted cash we would have passed a hat around and bought those 80%... Some exiles flee Oriarh covered in gold, so...
Anyway, sorry GGG mates, still love you and your work and respect all you have accomplished and achieved but no more money. I work hard for my money and I won't be giving it away to monstrous companies.

Despite all the assurances I am already preparing myself for the worst case scenario...

Hugs and kisses from Lusitania
"
Mentoya wrote:
"
Xeian wrote:
I will never buy a single supporter pack anymore.

Who Fucking Cares!!!!!!!

All of you bashing passionate fans upset about a major change they were under the impression they were helping to combat by purchasing micros, need to get off it, this isn't a popular decision, stop flaming people for letting the developers know how they feel
Path of Exile is life, just ask my Ex-Wife
Last edited by Krangled on May 21, 2018, 10:00:25 PM
"
Caulder10 wrote:
"
It blows my mind how little business sense most of the forum posters have. Tencent is the majority owner in some of the most popular games in the world. All of which offer MTX for cosmetics and user enjoyment and none of which are required to be competitive except for maybe clash of clans. These games are thriving and have been thriving for years. Tencent knows that P2W models drive players away, which in turn loses them profit. If PoE fails or becomes P2W it will be because the devs didn’t do enough to keep players interested and the lack of players led Tencent to do what any investment company would do...suck the last few dollars out of the game and shit it down. The game is healthy and fun, you all need to relax, it’s not going to go pay2win. The only change I could see coming would be some type of league pass that grants good cosmetics based on completion (similar to fortnite battle pass). Let’s refrain from hitting the panic button just yet.

Except they don't own a majority in any relevent game besides LoL and everyone will tell you what a shitfest that became when they took over.

Everyone will tell me? Great majority bias...but wrong. As someone who has played LoL for years, the game is fine and has never been P2W. In fact it’s less P2W now than it has ever been as they give out more ways to collect champs. As for Tencent only holding major stake in Riot...wrong again. They have significant stake in Activision Blizzard as well as fortnite just to make larger investments. I’m not telling you these guys are good or bad, just that you shouldn’t rush to judgment when you’ve done no research. Keep enjoying your free game and when it no longer appeals to you go find someone else’s hard work to enjoy for free.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info