Tencent has Invested in Grinding Gear Games

So I'm... Skeptical.

Frankly, I went through this before with League. Obviously I have no causality here but that, plus Tencent's general reputation in some places, puts me on my guard.

The first time I smell P2W I'm out, because that's a fundamental betrayal of why I still play this game. You guys know what got you here, and if you trade that good will in for corporate investment I'm out. Tread very carefully, Chris.
Last edited by ThePromise110 on May 20, 2018, 10:10:27 PM
You need to explain why in the first place, Tencents name is DOGSHIT in every genre of game in the west, you could have picked EA and had a chance at a better reaction.
"
BaggerX wrote:
Apparently the wailing and gnashing of teeth has begun...

Anyone have any examples of a Tencent acquisition of a major game developer having a serious negative impact?

Shh, the voice of reason shall not be listened to.

Unfortunately lots of people are stupid and lots of players are going to blame Tencent now whenever they happen to not like a league.

Unless the business model changes, I'm going to hold confident that the game's going to be the same quality it has always been.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
:popcorn:

You guys do what you think is best. As long as I'm having fun playing Path of Exile, I will keep playing it. As long as you keep putting out products I believe are worth my money, I will keep buying them. If I do not think a product is worth my money, I will happily ignore it.

And yes, there is a variety of products that others might more or less definitely consider "unethical", "pay to win" (or insert buzzword of your choice) that would definitely be worth a reasonable price for me.

So, as I said, :popcorn:
Last edited by Abdiel_Kavash on May 20, 2018, 10:14:36 PM
maybe it is time to return Diablo3.Yes it is bad but it isn't Tencent isn't it? "If You Donot Pay Money How To Become Stronger?"
I would say this is a good move. Knowing this is really good news.

Sustainability is really the most important factor of games that are not coming from those big
gaming companies. Tencent investing with GGG will really help the game for the company and for the players.

Let us just wish that POE will remain the same POE ran by GGG.

The choice of Tencent is undoubtedly the best. If you choose NetEase, it will become a change game. Apart from the appearance, there is no real play. At least Tencent will not destroy the game. It needs to develop. It has to look for mutually beneficial objects.
Only Tencent meets the requirements because Tencent has money.
RIP GGG 2018
Yeah, this is the beginning of the end for Path of Exile. The game was always going to have an end, but I'd been hoping it'd just slowly fade over the years and be remembered fondly forever... Not that it'd get driven into the ground.

There's plenty of people who will want to stand by any and every decision GGG makes (no matter how stupid) but any deal with Tencent is a Faustian endeavor at best. Those praising the decision speak from any mixture of ignorance and outright blind subservience.

Sure, it sounds good NOW, but trust me; their "investment" will grow over time, and will become full ownership. Then, yeah, things WILL change. Riot Games and Supercell can attest to that.
Rufalius, hybrid Aura/Arc/Mana Guardian | Hemorae, TS Raider | Wuru, Ele Hit Wand Trickster
While I'm sure you guys at GGG see this move as a wise one from a financial stand point, more exposure for the game, larger audience etc I hope you haven't essentially made a deal with the devil. Majority stake being the key thing here. Will tencent exercise their rights as a majority to shape and change the game? You say they won't but the fact remains they could push for it if the wanted. This makes me uneasy to say the least.
Guild Leader - LÉGÄCY

POE is happy good luck fun time for great imperialistic leaders!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info