I've died 10+ times this season on HC

I've been to end game maybe 3x on over 10+ characters for this season. I wouldn't even try to kill A10 Kitava on my own because the danger is too great for such a loss. However, I've been dying to mostly junk creatures from random occurrences. I can't really pin point the most obnoxious or unfair death. There's a possibility that none of it is unfair -- but it's more that the game contains too many random happenings and the power spike is too high. I would only play tanky characters such as a Marauder that went mostly life nodes, regen, etc. Even through 3-4k hp on act 9, I would somehow manage to die to something that would normally be irrelevant.

Although I love this game, I hate the random power changes. It used to just be specific bosses that would take you from 100 to 0, but now it could be anything at any point. I don't believe it's 'one shot' mechanics that are causing the problem, but it's more of creatures dealing immense damage in rapid succession due to random occurrence.

And the thing is.. these random and deadly occurrences rarely pay out properly for the absolutely overbearing risk. I feel like the game became more of a stressful job after acts 5-10 were implemented. I can't even enjoy HC anymore because I can't reach end game and stick with it. I would only play this game for the HC content. But things have changed drastically to revolve more around needing second chances. It's more of a gamble to play poe, and I often find myself losing the gamble.

Edit:
I was always concerned about the differentiation of softcore to hardcore. I was wondering if you would ever implement a method to show that a player conquered a mode that was exponentially more stressful, painful, agonizing upon that one mistake that got you killed. When I die on HC, it's like losing a family member. It's like being kicked out of my home. It's like being emotionally crushed by someone you dearly loved. And oddly, you -- GGG, have refused to create a differentiation between a mode where people sell the best loot because it never leaves the league, and a mode where everyone hoards basic items because they may have to restart at any point.

I only play this game for the fulfilling nature of hardcore. But the past 2 seasons/leagues have been so infuriatingly impossible for me, and I'm wondering how it became like that? I somehow can't even reach level 80 before death, when I was able to reach 90+ at least once per previous season.

At least create a differentiation for the modes. A fulfilling achievement of some sort. I want to play, but I'm losing morale in how unfulfilling each death becomes.
Last edited by keshanberk on Apr 20, 2018, 11:32:28 AM
Last bumped on Apr 25, 2018, 9:40:44 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Well thought-out post - HC respects to you. /salute

Not much to comment on it other then I agree with you down the line - though, the topic is larger then you might suspect. The game has been more and more focused on SC play since close beta, not only the rewards or the challenges but the balancing and added content. (plenty on this topic in my post history)

I would have tried to recruit you to our HC only guild after reading something like this a year ago, (at least to help each other out with bosses and share a bit) but as it stands - most all of us have moved on or gone over to play SC now, so its rather pointless now.

"
I was always concerned about the differentiation of softcore to hardcore. I was wondering if you would ever implement a method to show that a player conquered a mode that was exponentially more stressful, painful, agonizing upon that one mistake that got you killed. When I die on HC, it's like losing a family member. It's like being kicked out of my home. It's like being emotionally crushed by someone you dearly loved. And oddly, you -- GGG, have refused to create a differentiation between a mode where people sell the best loot because it never leaves the league, and a mode where everyone hoards basic items because they may have to restart at any point.

You're taking this game way too seriously lol. Just enjoy the journey man. It's what I and my friends do. We all know we're gonna die at some point, we don't have the illusion that we're gonna make it to 100. We just set ourselves a goal to strive for, like finish the league alive, get to level x, those things. It's fun man, I think you're playing HC wrong. You take losing a character too seriously in the rippiest game ever. Maybe SC suits you more.
Dying still sucks poeFan2. You care about the character because it's cool to play, and you're having fun, then it gets whacked with the Standard Hammer. If you are just relaxed and don't care if your character dies, you'll die a whole lot more.

--------------------
@OP: One thing I learned in HC is that deaths are *always* preventable, if you somehow knew in advance what was going to happen. So the way to survive longer in HC is to be prepared in the future for whatever killed you last time. I find that if I ever (even once) go below half health on a map, boss fight, random magic pack fight etc..., then it's way too rippy for me and I need to portal out of there. You usually get warning signs that you're going in to a dangerous place before you actually die.

Of course, sometimes the way you die is very hard to predict. As an example - Suddenly an absurdly overtuned devourer pops up next to you in the middle of a battle, and you can't escape in time before it slaughters you. But in that case, did you know devourers were on the map? Chances are you saw some easier devourers before that. Also, could you have been prepared to move faster? Could you have been looking out for devourers and being more careful? etc...

The same goes even for things totally outside you control, like lagging or server crashes. If you die to a connectivity issue, chances are you had been experiencing non-deadly connectivity issues recently too. If you're lagging on a map, get out of there; don't just stick around and see if it gets better.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Apr 20, 2018, 5:57:35 PM
Yea I think too that it became much easier to die at levelling than in previous versions. In 2.x it was basically "just overfarm yourself at dried lake for cruel Malachai and then you're pretty much in merc dried lake and maps. There was basically no way to die while levelling except cruel malachai or some extraordinary unlucky or league stuff happening to the player.

Now you can die easily at:

-lab
-innocence
-a5 kitava
-bear mama (lol raiz and zizaran)
-a7 doedre (!)
-yugul (no idea how this guy is at lvl 60, I usually do him at level 80 or whatever thanks to the beta experience I had with it (every 5 mins dudes were coming from hardcore into standard and were writing FUCK YUGUL lul))
-vilenta
-a10 kitava

If it cheers you up: You are not alone. I lost approximately like 8 chars on hc bestiary in this league. It was my fault 7/8 times, they never died to lag or spikes but to legit game mechanics, just 1 died because of the bullshit new 10% meme zerker degen with full hp in the loadscreen, which I consider as not legit. Lets evaluate: one died to Innocence, 2 to a5 kitava, 1 to a10 kitva. The rest got 80+.

Of the 80+ boys, my best char, a lab farmer cleave zerker, died with 91 to poorjoys boss corpse explosion (there was a red beast next to boss so i had to kite him balls close without seeing a mortality experimentee hiding in the room). Another 80+ died at an Esh breach. Then another one died to a oneshot slam by double maze boss. And another one got oneshot by curse crypt boss slam XD. Another char I just stopped playing at 87 because its too slow and reskilling would be too expensive.

Shit happens, you can be 80 easily in 10-15 hours again. Its way more frustrating to have a 94 character and you realize that it cant do the 100 grind cause its too slow, too fragile and/or too weak and there is not much that can be changed about that.

I think hardcore should stay as it is, its supposed to be a handicap without any privileques. Just like SSF is (except that SSF has the privilque of you not getting scammed or wasting time trying to sell stuff to people who are unwilling to pay any price).

Losing the game can be fun too. Just think at all the games nowadays that try to force you to win and succeed all the time. I am glad PoE, no matter if standard, hardcore and/or ssf is not like that.
Last edited by The_Human_Tornado on Apr 21, 2018, 12:01:14 AM
Yeah, damage is overbuffed and our character's life, specially on the right side of the tree is absolute garbage.
Buff life on the right side of the tree! Just a little! Pretty Please!
Last edited by The_Risen on Apr 20, 2018, 11:47:46 PM
"
The_Risen wrote:
Yeah, damage is overbuffed and our character's life, specially on the right side of the tree is absolute garbage.

Totally agreed. Life on the right side of the tree is ridiculous. I would love to skill all those minor dual wield block nodes (LOL WHERE THE FUCK IS GEMINI) on the right side with my gladiators. But I cant cause I gonna end up with 5 instead of 7k life, even with belly.
seems like you are making mistakes...you didnt even consider this in your post.
"
Farfan wrote:
seems like you are making mistakes...you didnt even consider this in your post.

I believe that a key to this was in this part of the OP.

"
But the past 2 seasons/leagues have been so infuriatingly impossible for me, and I'm wondering how it became like that? I somehow can't even reach level 80 before death, when I was able to reach 90+ at least once per previous season.

The change was on the PoE side. GGG used to say that the game was tuned for HC. This is no longer the case. The percentage of people playing HC has significantly fallen, GGG is much less concerned with hardcore. The cause and effect relationship on that is unclear but it's probably on both sides which just increased the reduction playing HC.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
keshanberk wrote:
I've been to end game maybe 3x on over 10+ characters for this season. I wouldn't even try to kill A10 Kitava on my own because the danger is too great for such a loss. However, I've been dying to mostly junk creatures from random occurrences. I can't really pin point the most obnoxious or unfair death. There's a possibility that none of it is unfair -- but it's more that the game contains too many random happenings and the power spike is too high. I would only play tanky characters such as a Marauder that went mostly life nodes, regen, etc. Even through 3-4k hp on act 9, I would somehow manage to die to something that would normally be irrelevant.

Although I love this game, I hate the random power changes. It used to just be specific bosses that would take you from 100 to 0, but now it could be anything at any point. I don't believe it's 'one shot' mechanics that are causing the problem, but it's more of creatures dealing immense damage in rapid succession due to random occurrence.

And the thing is.. these random and deadly occurrences rarely pay out properly for the absolutely overbearing risk. I feel like the game became more of a stressful job after acts 5-10 were implemented. I can't even enjoy HC anymore because I can't reach end game and stick with it. I would only play this game for the HC content. But things have changed drastically to revolve more around needing second chances. It's more of a gamble to play poe, and I often find myself losing the gamble.

Edit:

I only play this game for the fulfilling nature of hardcore. But the past 2 seasons/leagues have been so infuriatingly impossible for me, and I'm wondering how it became like that? I somehow can't even reach level 80 before death, when I was able to reach 90+ at least once per previous season.

At least create a differentiation for the modes. A fulfilling achievement of some sort. I want to play, but I'm losing morale in how unfulfilling each death becomes.

I would never advice playing on HC if you are a new player.

Looks like you should join SC till you can level pass 90 so you can actually know your limits and them roll HC
Only a dumbass pays for a F2P game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info