FYI: Chris is not involved in balancing and hasn't played Uber Elder

Just in case anyone's missed Zizaran's spontaneous Q&A with Chris, here's two soundbites from Chris I found interesting:

"Honestly, I'm not involved in the balance stuff."

"The best I can do is say: yeah, the guys discuss this kind of stuff but I honestly don't understand it. I haven't played Uber Elder myself."

EDIT: So in case you're reading this thread for the first time, what happened after I posted the above two quotes was that a lot of people imagined them to be some kind of insult against Chris, and proceeded to be horribly offended by whatever they imagined. I tried to get them to explain why they imagined insults where there weren't any, but they didn't. Go figure.

Anyhow, here are my actual comments from page 7, slightly edited together into one post:

"
suszterpatt wrote:
Let's start by addressing the numerous arguments in this thread explaining why Chris' involvement with the game should be low. I'd like to categorically state that I think these are 100% valid, and I agree that Chris should not be personally micromanaging the game's design or balance.

However.

Chris didn't just say his involvement with balance and Uber Elder is low. He said his involvement is ZERO. Let's unpack that a bit.

Yes, Chris is very busy, yadda yadda yadda. But surely, somewhere along the past 2 months he could have set aside 30 minutes to play Uber Elder a couple times if he wanted to. Evidently, he never thought it important enough.

Now, I'm still not saying that this is bad, necessarily. But at the minimum, it's at odds with the idea that PoE follows Chris' vision. Raise your hand if you would ever hire 100+ people to implement your vision, and then never try the end result for yourself.
Side point
The earlier comparisons to Steve Jobs and oil companies are rather overblown, considering GGG is a relatively tiny company. A more apt analogy would be Gordon Ramsay running a local restaurant, and letting his chefs put new dishes on the menu without as much as giving them a taste.

And I'm not even saying that it's Chris who has to be the one with the vision. But I've been a game dev for nearly 6 years now, and I've seen enough to know that there better be someone with a vision. If it's not Chris, do we know who it is?
Last edited by suszterpatt on Apr 26, 2018, 1:27:22 PM
Last bumped on Apr 27, 2018, 6:52:10 PM
I think he just generally doesn't play his own game at all.
"The launch day went quite well with just a few small hotfixes to address minor problems."

Heist League - GGG
Last edited by nononononono on Apr 12, 2018, 1:40:33 PM
I don't mean to be rude but..

so what?

What does that have to do with anything.
"
suszterpatt wrote:

not trying to criticise... but i tink its really bad idea to insult a founder of the company tat develop the game...

not sure wat u r trying to achieve with tis thread...

r u trying to troll?

or trying to get attention?

or trying to be mean n insult chris?

or r u bored, hav nothing better to do n so writing someting like tis?
34pre98qua
aso... i wan to add tat u dun seem to spend any money to support the game...

so y comment n talk so much abt chris...

wat r u trying to achieve in tis thread???
34pre98qua
Probably trying to point out how much the guy knows about the game that he decided to make.

Which we all know that he probably doesn't know as much as he should. Which is fine. He probably got better things to do.
"The launch day went quite well with just a few small hotfixes to address minor problems."

Heist League - GGG
Sounds like your implying you want him to have his tentacles in every nook and cranny of this game. (Kappa) Seems like a lot to ask... But I'm not saying you're wrong on the optics. If I was him, I would have made the time to check it out so I wouldn't have to say the words he did.
But I'm not. His game, his choice. And it doesn't obviously make the game worse for him to not micro manage every aspect.
I just spoke to Steve Jobs (yes I'm psychic) and he doesn't know how to assemble an iPhone together. How dare he!

The problem is that the devs and guys in charge of the actual balance don't know/play the game. When GGG was 8 employees working in a garage, you could expect he knew everything and was in charge of everything. They've grown to what like 125-150 employees now? Of course he can't micromanage everything. That's not his job. His job is to put people in place that know how to do theirs, you're free to criticize him for that part.
He plays his own game, he just has different goals when he plays(when he can play), there are several sound bytes about for that.

The people that balance the game are people who do play high end, again there are plenty enough text based and sound based...i think your problem is that the people that do balance the game are just better than some players, some things that seem fine to them and to streamers are way over other players heads.

It's like following a build guide and watching the videos of someone cheesing content and when you try it (same passives, same gear) you get stomped every time on content that is made to look easy.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
he does, he just plays when he has time. he said that in the same interview you're trying to cherrypick.
Last edited by cruelworlds on Apr 12, 2018, 2:58:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info