[3.4] Teleports Behind You - Poet's Pen Lightning Warp & Arc, MF / Facetank t16 / Shaper / U. Elder

"
Arc and Firestorm is such a weird choice to level a Pen character. Why not just use the usual VD links? VD has much higher effectiveness (DPS and range) on lower levels and with no gear; to a point where you could literally level to 70 without taking any skill points if you want, and you know this as well. You can always swap to Arc/LW later on.

VD is slower because of ball travel time. And I don't know why it matters about "no gear;" If you can afford to twink with two poet's pens then you can easily afford a few extra spell damage items (doedre's tenure / le heup). When you have twink gear and oneshot enemies, relative spell dps is kind of irrelevant; all that matters is your instantaneous screen coverage, and Arc hits the whole screen way faster than VD does.

Firestorm is there for the single target while leveling but you could easily use ball lightning or whatever you want.
Mirror Arrow Summoner: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1422529
Teleports Behind You: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2123293
Magma Orb Deadeye: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2736039
Last edited by dariidar on May 14, 2018, 7:34:18 AM
"
dariidar wrote:
"
Arc and Firestorm is such a weird choice to level a Pen character. Why not just use the usual VD links? VD has much higher effectiveness (DPS and range) on lower levels and with no gear; to a point where you could literally level to 70 without taking any skill points if you want, and you know this as well. You can always swap to Arc/LW later on.

VD is slower because of ball travel time. And I don't know why it matters about "no gear;" If you can afford to twink with two poet's pens then you can easily afford a few extra spell damage items (doedre's tenure / le heup). When you have twink gear and oneshot enemies, relative spell dps is kind of irrelevant; all that matters is your instantaneous screen coverage, and Arc hits the whole screen way faster than VD does.

Firestorm is there for the single target while leveling but you could easily use ball lightning or whatever you want.

Oh yes, sure, I don't doubt about Arc being better, especially on Elementalist once you've taken the Ascendancy nodes.

That's not true for very early leveling though (Arc completely overshadows Unearth after around level 45 or so). Arc+Firestorm isn't better than VD+Unearth. Your Frenzy+Unearth is enough to kill whites and some blues instantly during leveling, and VD takes care of everything else, while Arc requires at least Beacon of Ruin and a reasonable crit rate to do the same, and VD performs much better on single target than Firestorm when you haven't taken any lightning/crit dmg multipliers yet (even with proper twink gear equipped).

Again, I'm only addressing the early leveling part of the build, and just my opinion.

Last edited by ultimatecat on May 14, 2018, 1:31:16 PM
"

That's not true for very early leveling though (Arc completely overshadows Unearth after around level 45 or so). Arc+Firestorm isn't better than VD+Unearth. Your Frenzy+Unearth is enough to kill whites and some blues instantly during leveling, and VD takes care of everything else, while Arc requires at least Beacon of Ruin and a reasonable crit rate to do the same, and VD performs much better on single target than Firestorm when you haven't taken any lightning/crit dmg multipliers yet (even with proper twink gear equipped).

Again, I'm only addressing the early leveling part of the build, and just my opinion.

Again, Arc doesn't need any of this stuff you mention because damage is sufficient if built properly. A 3 linked Arc one-shots everything in Act 1-3, and by the time you get Diamond flask and dual heralds at level 27 the damage never falls off (even without ascending). What matters during leveling is the screen coverage and Arc is much faster at touching everything on the screen in milliseconds. (I'd even argue that Arc without any crit is perfectly fine dps-wise until at least act 6)

I don't agree with your point about Unearth vs Arc at level 45. The tiny cone you get with Unearth + LMP just feels worse than even Freezing Pulse. Firestorm + Arc provide very efficient coverage even at lower levels. And once you hit level 35, Arc starts hitting 5 enemies at a time and becomes an absolute monster. Also, because Unearth requires GMP or LMP or Volley, it starts out weaker than Arc which can just use pure damage supports like Added Lightning, Elemental Focus, Inc Crit Strikes, etc, which means Arc requires even LESS gear/tree investment for it to clear compared to Unearth.

A note on firestorm: you absolutely do not need crit/crit multi for it to be strong. There is a reason that every spellcaster racer ends up using firestorm totems; it has huge AoE and fairly reliable single target for miniscule investment.

Perhaps VD > firestorm for single target, especially because VD builds get the option of adding Cremation as well. But it doesn't even matter... if you're properly skipping all rare monsters as you speedlevel, the only single target that matters is the Act bosses, and in that case does it really matter if you kill Doedre in 13 seconds instead of 10 seconds?
Last edited by dariidar on May 14, 2018, 9:02:44 PM
"
dariidar wrote:
"

Again, Arc doesn't need any of this stuff you mention because damage is sufficient if built properly. A 3 linked Arc one-shots everything in Act 1-3, and by the time you get Diamond flask and dual heralds at level 27 the damage never falls off (even without ascending). What matters during leveling is the screen coverage and Arc is much faster at touching everything on the screen in milliseconds. (I'd even argue that Arc without any crit is perfectly fine dps-wise until at least act 6)

I don't agree with your point about Unearth vs Arc at level 45. The tiny cone you get with Unearth + LMP just feels worse than even Freezing Pulse. Firestorm + Arc provide very efficient coverage even at lower levels. And once you hit level 35, Arc starts hitting 5 enemies at a time and becomes an absolute monster. Also, because Unearth requires GMP or LMP or Volley, it starts out weaker than Arc which can just use pure damage supports like Added Lightning, Elemental Focus, Inc Crit Strikes, etc, which means Arc requires even LESS gear/tree investment for it to clear compared to Unearth.

A note on firestorm: you absolutely do not need crit/crit multi for it to be strong. There is a reason that every spellcaster racer ends up using firestorm totems; it has huge AoE and fairly reliable single target for miniscule investment.

Perhaps VD > firestorm for single target, especially because VD builds get the option of adding Cremation as well. But it doesn't even matter... if you're properly skipping all rare monsters as you speedlevel, the only single target that matters is the Act bosses, and in that case does it really matter if you kill Doedre in 13 seconds instead of 10 seconds?

Well let's just agree to disagree then. I've tried Arc+Firestorm during my early leveling, and it didn't feel as good as Unearth. The main issue with Arc is the limited number of targets it damages, especially pre-38, combined that with the low APS early characters have and it just doesn't feel great. Unearth has no target limitations, and it's practically a poor man's Kinetic Blast early on in the game with Pen. We also have access to Volley > LMP > GMP early on, so I don't feel like that's really an issue.

Fire Trap, Firestorm, Blade Vortex, etc. Are the usual spells racers picked because they provided the biggest bang for the buck for no investment in multipliers in the case where you have no supporting gear. It would be a different scenario if they were given Pens, Tabula, Reverb Rods, or any other defining uniques to start with.

I can agree with that line of thought of single target.
QUICK question what are your resists in end game gear?
Last edited by DrawingFlies on May 15, 2018, 9:44:00 AM
"
DrawingFlies wrote:
QUICK question what are your resists in end game gear?

They're all over 75% except chaos res which is negative
So first off, awesome guide! I just started messing around with this yesterday since I had a leftover full respec on one of my witches and I'm having a blast. I'm dirt poor so I haven't bothered to invest any currency in high level gems yet so I know that that's a big chunk of my missing damage, as well as the missing Berek's and Choir. I have two questions though.

1) For attack speed, are you relying largely on jewels/gloves? Even my Barrage is attacking fairly slowly right now (about 2.77 APS). Granted I don't have any jewels socketed yet, but is that really why I'm so behind?

2) Between Choir and Berek's, which would you say is more important? Currently, I've gone with Paragon instead of Beacon because I have a Poet's Pen with Proliferation on it and I like not having to pay attention to reflect at all. That means that I have a little (though not much) leech already, but mostly I'm suffering from low health (I imagine I should just get that by replacing gear) and low damage (which will be replacing my gems and getting attack speed somehow).
"
tornshoe wrote:
So first off, awesome guide! I just started messing around with this yesterday since I had a leftover full respec on one of my witches and I'm having a blast. I'm dirt poor so I haven't bothered to invest any currency in high level gems yet so I know that that's a big chunk of my missing damage, as well as the missing Berek's and Choir. I have two questions though.

1) For attack speed, are you relying largely on jewels/gloves? Even my Barrage is attacking fairly slowly right now (about 2.77 APS). Granted I don't have any jewels socketed yet, but is that really why I'm so behind?

2) Between Choir and Berek's, which would you say is more important? Currently, I've gone with Paragon instead of Beacon because I have a Poet's Pen with Proliferation on it and I like not having to pay attention to reflect at all. That means that I have a little (though not much) leech already, but mostly I'm suffering from low health (I imagine I should just get that by replacing gear) and low damage (which will be replacing my gems and getting attack speed somehow).

You will need gloves with %inc attack speed, and 20 quality on GMP and Faster attacks, in order to get about 3.7 aps on Barrage. In the meantime you can grab the Coordination node and just use Frenzy to proc your poet's pens.

You still need Beacon. In the endgame, it gives more damage than Mastermind of Discord. It also makes Mind of the Council work with Ball Lightning. Without Beacon, Ball Lightning doesn't deal enough lightning damage to generate shocks against high HP bosses. If you are planning on dropping any nodes, drop Mastermind of Discord.

Since you've decided to use Paragon, you won't need Berek's Grip. Choir of the Storms will provide a huge dps boost and make your single target feel way better, so save up for that instead.
Update. This has been the most fun I've had in PoE in a good while. Enjoyed MFing during the race, this build clears maps so nicely, especially ones with cliffs or obstacles. Still making currency but have everything I need. I just don't get tired of playing this character.

Hi, i've been enjoying the super fast map clear speed with this build. However i am hitting some road blocks when i have to deal with bosses.

Would you mind to take a look on my gear and advise how should i move forward? I have a choir of the storm for bossing purposes.

Tried to do uber lab today, but died 3 times to izaro. seems like i really cant take physical damage.

Thanks!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info