Not enjoying the quest for the Uber Elder

Let me play a devil's advocate here.

GGG decided to make some gated content. Question - do you NEED to kill Uber elder for anything? You might say, yes I do, because not only do I want to see this new awesome fight, I also want to get the league challenge (I am not playing the league, but I am pretty sure it exists). Ok, then another question - can you prove that it is absolutely impossible to reach Uber Elder during the span of 3 months league, regardless of your time investment? I am pretty sure it is the opposite, in fact, since there are already videos of people killing uber elder, and it's not even month 2, we can safely say that Uber is not that difficult to reach at all.

I understand that this process might feel very frustrating, but if you are complaining that it is too grindy, then you have no idea what grindy really is. We are talking about a game where you can essentially re-grind 99% of its content every 3 months. This is nothing.

Have any of you experienced Korean MMOs? I have played one, and there, it took around 1 YEAR for the first person on the servers in my region to hit max level (who was obviously a no-lifer from a top guild that carried him hard to get to this milestone). THIS is grindy. I remember amazing stories of people who were leveling in the upper range (from 47 to 48 out of 55) about how one mistake (or de-sync or disconnect) could cost them MONTHS of grinding, because you lost 10% of your exp on death every time. Oh, and you also could only level in open PvP zones with purposefuly limited supply of leveling mobs to FORCE different guilds and races to grief and wipe each other.

Grinding for a couple of weeks to reach THE FINAL BOSS of the game? That's nothing in comparison. And if the time requirement is too much, well then maybe this simply isn't for you.

I mean, lately I had barely any time to play games. So guess what, I am currently playing standard with my mediocre items that I have accumulated over the span of my playtime, and don't even come near stuff like uber, because I know that it's simply out of my reach.

"
Kelvynn wrote:

This is too long of a grind to even attempt the new 'hardest fight in the game'. It takes way too much time and currency. What's your design intent here? Is it supposed to take a month for an average player to unlock this encounter or something?

I gave up the moment I found I need to spawn the Elder 3 times in t15. I play the game to hoard currency and this is going to ruin players.

Very unenjoyable content, made kind of mandatory due to league challenges... Makes me wonder why this was considered as something that adds to the game.
“We are the race of flesh, We are the race of lovers.”
"
MECHanokl wrote:
Let me play a devil's advocate here.

GGG decided to make some gated content. Question - do you NEED to kill Uber elder for anything? You might say, yes I do, because not only do I want to see this new awesome fight, I also want to get the league challenge (I am not playing the league, but I am pretty sure it exists). Ok, then another question - can you prove that it is absolutely impossible to reach Uber Elder during the span of 3 months league, regardless of your time investment? I am pretty sure it is the opposite, in fact, since there are already videos of people killing uber elder, and it's not even month 2, we can safely say that Uber is not that difficult to reach at all.

I understand that this process might feel very frustrating, but if you are complaining that it is too grindy, then you have no idea what grindy really is. We are talking about a game where you can essentially re-grind 99% of its content every 3 months. This is nothing.

Have any of you experienced Korean MMOs? I have played one, and there, it took around 1 YEAR for the first person on the servers in my region to hit max level (who was obviously a no-lifer from a top guild that carried him hard to get to this milestone). THIS is grindy. I remember amazing stories of people who were leveling in the upper range (from 47 to 48 out of 55) about how one mistake (or de-sync or disconnect) could cost them MONTHS of grinding, because you lost 10% of your exp on death every time. Oh, and you also could only level in open PvP zones with purposefuly limited supply of leveling mobs to FORCE different guilds and races to grief and wipe each other.

Grinding for a couple of weeks to reach THE FINAL BOSS of the game? That's nothing in comparison. And if the time requirement is too much, well then maybe this simply isn't for you.

I mean, lately I had barely any time to play games. So guess what, I am currently playing standard with my mediocre items that I have accumulated over the span of my playtime, and don't even come near stuff like uber, because I know that it's simply out of my reach.

Your point is moot because no one "needs" to do anything in this game. The whole point is that the RNG required to reach a point in the game is ridiculous once the desire has been confirmed to do high level content.

Since RNG has a statistical element, then yes, it is possible with diminished map returns and RNG that some people will try multiple times and still fail. See: This thread, since OP is literally documenting out every Elder spawn he has generated. No offense, but how fucking hard is that to see? Lol. He screenshots every spawn.

Also, this is not a KMMORPG.

It is wonderful to revisit nostalgia from your KMMORPG experience, but this is not a KMMORPG.

It is great to compare the grind to your KMMORPG experience, but this is not a KMMORPG.

The difference between your declaration of being a scrub at the end and OP, is that OP clearly has the capability of reaching the content. Not even sure why you would state that in this thread, other than being complacent that you're mediocre. Idk.

Helpfulness of post basically 0/5
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL

I'm a very patient person. I've done 40/40 challenges in 5 of the last 6 leagues. But my patience is wearing thin.

I no longer even bother clearing maps, just run to the boss and kill it and advance the influence. My character will soon be lv 96 from just doing this endlessly. I've dropped and sold enough Watcher's Eyes, Impresence amulets and other assorted Elder/Guardian loot to buy maps till the end of this league. But I can't buy luck.

I have a few more tries left in me, but then I'll be done too. Needless to say, I won't be supporting GGG in any foreseeable future.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 25, 2018, 12:58:51 AM
"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:

Unfortunately, you have missed the point of my post, which is about knowing your limit.

Complaining about content being grindy and RNG gated in PoE is... odd, it's like you have forgotten what kind of game you are playing.

Everything in this game is RNG gated. Now, you can skip most of it by trading, but even then, when farming currency, you can get still get screwed over by RNG, getting no returns from maps and lab runs over and over and over again, meanwhile some other guy can pop a barrel and drop a mirror.

"
Kelvynn wrote:
Apparently, this piece of shit is not meant to be found in mere 230 hours, that would be 'too easy'.

230 hours is, if you play around 5 hours a day, about a month and half. Still within the 3 month league span.

And what if their planned statistical average time is actually 400 hours? 500? Would that be too grindy? No, it's still within a temp league time span (but you would have to play more daily). Would it be too grindy for YOU? Well then, this is a completely separate issue.

"
is that OP clearly has the capability of reaching the content.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't recall there being a rule stating that just because you character power level is high enough to do some content, means you get instant access to it.
If a guy spends his last bits of currency on finishing his shaper and uber atziri killing build, he will still need to spend time to get their sets, either by farming currency or farming the sets themselves. Why should Uber Elder be any different?

Time to reach content = time to grind gear for it + time to grind access to it. Clearly, OP has fulfilled only one of the criteria.

To make myself perfectly clear, I am not saying that OP's frustration is not justified or that the grind isn't severe. What I am saying is that you guys need to let it go and relax, and don't let RNG around ONE part of the game ruin the whole game. Just accept the fact that, bar some lucky outliers, Uber Elder was meant for players who can invest 2 or 3 times the time YOU can into the game.
I mean, you can buy all the drops from this fight, and I don't even think it gives you atlas completion or any other bonus. In fact, the whole encounter is not even that amazingly unique (you fight Elder AND Shaper at the same time, wow, so original!).
Saying that "well that one guy got the last fragment two weeks ago while I am stuck spinning the roulette wheel" is like saying "that guy dropped an exalt in his first map while I didn't drop a single chaos orb in 15". It happens, the whole game is based around RNG crap. It's just that this particular content doesn't have the currency equivalent of its "time to grind" yet. Maybe there will be an Uber Elder set or something, who knows.

TLDR: the whole game is one giant RNG roulette. If you think this content takes too much time to reach, don't do it, it was meant for players who can invest more time in the game than you.
Last edited by MECHanokl on Mar 25, 2018, 3:56:43 AM
Holy shit the whitest of knights. Just go ahead and contact Support to get on that GGG payroll. Christ.
Fake Temp League Elitists LUL
"
_Saranghaeyo_ wrote:
Holy shit the whitest of knights. Just go ahead and contact Support to get on that GGG payroll. Christ.

White knighting? Lol, really?

Let me explain this differently. You, the OP, and group of other players, have enough time to grind for content that many others can't reach (after all, only a percentage of people reach Shaper and bla bla, you know the stats). Some players complain how it is too grindy, others simply accept that this the nature of the "beast" and move on, either stay in their comfort zone or leave the game.

Now GGG released content that is too time gated for your group of players, and I personally think it is more reasonable to relax and accept it rather than waste your time and nerve cells when clearly, the cost vs reward is not good enough for you.

Let me tell you this - the only way Uber Elder can be considered too gated is when, after looking at the number of people that reached Uber, GGG decides that the percentage is smaller than what they had in mind. And if the percentage meets the benchmark, then it means that there are enough players for whom the grind and RNG isn't too extreme... you are just not part of them. Which is ok, and definitely not a reason to slam the entire game for.

"
MECHanokl wrote:
And what if their planned statistical average time is actually 400 hours? 500? Would that be too grindy? No, it's still within a temp league time span (but you would have to play more daily).

Are you seriously trying to say that reaching the new endgame boss by the end of the league is normal? That it's something that's supposed to be done once per league?

Maybe it's normal for you since you play in Standard and unlocking the boss one time means permanent access to it for you. But Standard is not the main focus of this game. New content is designed for the new leagues. And if you try playing in a new league you'll see my point.

Also, you are talking about things you haven't even seen yourself: as your profile shows, you haven't done ANY endgame content, even in Standard. Wait till you get there and experience it before arguing about it.
Last edited by Kelvynn on Mar 25, 2018, 11:52:32 AM
"
Kelvynn wrote:
"
MECHanokl wrote:
And what if their planned statistical average time is actually 400 hours? 500? Would that be too grindy? No, it's still within a temp league time span (but you would have to play more daily).

Are you seriously trying to say that reaching the new endgame boss by the end of the league is normal? That it's something that's supposed to be done once per league?

Maybe it's normal for you since you play in Standard and unlocking the boss one time means permanent access to it for you. But Standard is not the main focus of this game. New content is designed for the new leagues. And if you try playing in a new league you'll see my point.

Also, you are talking about things you haven't even seen yourself: as your profile shows, you haven't done ANY endgame content, even in Standard. Wait till you get there and experience it before arguing about it.

I mean, if you really checked my profile, you would see that I have done actual endgame - in legacy league I have fully completed atlas and in fact killed shaper. Shaper was extremely troublesome for me, for some reason I kept instance crashing him over and over again on phase 3 - as you might imagine, it was extremely fun. But eventually I culled him (crashed again at that same moment) and got my achievment, to never ever do this crap again. I didn't do Uber atziri because I was afraid that same thing would happen again. Maybe irrational, but I was seriously done at that point.

Unless of course Shaper, corrupted guardians and vaal temple do not count as endgame. Was there some kind of secret endgame before Uber Elder? If so, please enlighten me.

Back to the topic, I would understand you if NOBODY managed to reach Uber Elder by this point in the league. Clearly, this is not the case, and it's not even month 2. So clearly, it's not too grindy at all. It's too grindy for YOU, but then again, don't do it then. It's a one fight out of a whole game, and you can buy the loot anyway.

And let's not talk about what "casual" players should be able to reach in a league, ok? "Casual" players can't even reach Shaper or Guardians in a league (while others reach them in 2 days).

"
MECHanokl wrote:

alot of casual talk lol I killed shaper blah blah

Now there is no shame in being a casual player killing shaper is like 1 day or 2 at most is a super casual goal to have no shame in it.

I am a super casual player myself ;=)

Anything like challanges, what boss you kill, you play on Sc Or HC is just bullshit SSF vegan. Drop that type of talk is quite pointless

Please make a valid point and try to make some sense on it

ok back on topic we talking uber elder, and how random its to hit elder on a T15 and how possible is for someone to never get it in 3 months

Only a dumbass pays for a F2P game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info