Wait..WHAT? I need HP in a CI build?

I play a CI dual totem witch, I chose CI as I hate Chaos, and LOVE standing in clouds of green gas, completely ignoring it, laughing at Chaos bombers, and not being immediately destroyed by 12 chaos snakes firing at me from an adjacent platform.

But that means I need ES..lots and lots of ES, I choose ES wherever I can get it, and look for it on my gear.

But then I read a dev comment that the chance to be frozen/stunned is based on your HP pool, and ideally a CI player should stack HP as well.

WAH!!!

WHY????

Aren't we supposed to be playing a game that promises build diversity?
Isn't HP already the #1 stat the min/maxers stack to lolfaceroll high end content?
Why must CI players utterly nerf their builds in order to avoid being stunned/frozen too often?

Just want to know the thinking here...why base the stun/freze mechanic on a HP pool that the player gets NO OTHER BENEFIT from?

If the answer is "To force CI players to take HP" that just points me right back to the question...WHY make CI players take HP? to what end?
WE have precious little advantage to ES as it stands, but this is just weird!
IGN: Kulde
Last edited by Yxalitis on Feb 28, 2013, 9:46:43 PM
No.

Chance to stun/freeze will be based on ES if you take CI.
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
I'm pretty sure its based on your HP pool before CI takes effect, which I totally agree with the OP is a ridiculous limitation.

For balance reasons to prevent massive ES pool being overly powerful against elemental ailments perhaps make them 2x as effective against CI but based on the ES pool instead?
"
tobes111 wrote:
No.

Chance to stun/freeze will be based on ES if you take CI.

Wrong. It's based on life. Look up the "mechanics" thread, it's sticky up top. Stop spreading misinformation.

And yes, it's really stupid that it is based on life (before CI) instead of ES.
"
Yxalitis wrote:
But then I read a dev comment that the chance to be frozen/stunned is based on your HP pool, and ideally a CI player should stack HP as well.

He didn't say that. He just said that if you have both CI and +life, the +life doesn't do nothing, it affects your HP for the purposes of calculating stun. That's all.
Code warrior
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
kadrek91 wrote:
I just want this thread to be about what people think about a possible change of CI in that way; are you for it or against it?
Absolutely completely and utterly opposed. This takes away hugely from what CI is as a keystone and significantly reduces it's effect on buld choices. It's intended that life bonuses don't increase survivability* for CI characters and thus are not particularly comparable. This has direct and interesting consequences in terms of influencing build choices away from what you'd choose if you didn't have the keystone, and that's a big part of what keystones are about.

*yes they still count for stun, that's not what I'm talking about here
"
Rhys wrote:
"
Yxalitis wrote:

He didn't say that. He just said that if you have both CI and +life, the +life doesn't do nothing, it affects your HP for the purposes of calculating stun. That's all.

Why is it like that tho? Why not calculate off ES? I understand before CI was nerfed, people could effortlessly have 8K+ ES. Right now I think it's easier to get 6K HP than it is to get 6K ES.

If two characters have the same....grade of equipment...like mediocre stuff, the guy that's stacking HP is likely to have more HP than the guy that's stacking ES. So why not make status alinements and stuns work off ES?
"
Rhys wrote:
"
Yxalitis wrote:

Pedantics, the fact is having the HP pool, that is not available to the player, being used to calculate stun/freeze is dumb.

A CI player who gets some +life gear is always always going to prefer +ES.
ES is life, +100 ES is 100 more damage he can take before he dies, +100 life is some tiny percentage improvement to stun/freeze chances that won't be noticeable.
Wow do I feel jaded having not known this. No wonder why merviel's favored freeze lock the shit out of me.

How would you expect anyone to roll CI in a pvp setting either?
1 redeeming quality of stacking ES is that having any amount of ES up will confer a 50% chance of getting stunned.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info