Oni-Goroshi in Current League - are You gonna farm it or drop it?

"
Unquietheart wrote:
Well... I'm not sure if this counts as me winning or the Wookie winning ... but ...

There we go.

Congrats!

It all depends on time to UH. That's why I always take a quick snapshot with the time played and pointing at the xp bar so I have the level to get to UH recorded. I view anything before level 8 as an exile win and as the grind goes past level 8 as a Wookie win and level 9 before UH comes out... well I'll just keep that level of aspi grind insanity to myself (and only commiserate about it in the Twilight Strand Level 9 Beach Club with my other unfortunate TSB level 9 exiles).

Fortunately I don't hear the "Everything burns!" too often. Finally got my Tectonic Slam Jugg to proc "Her Embrace" all the time and all is working well. It doesn't cause any decrease in energy shield or health so I guess I have high enough fire resist to prevent that from happening so all is good on this build. Lower level delving is very easy-peasy with this build. Everything doesn't burn but is disintegrated. Super nice and right for a filthy casual. Another 2 thumps up for the sword design and for it being a front end straight up grind instead of late game or some divi-card bs farmed item or worse (a random drop that won't happen in 10K hours of play for 99.999% of us).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
It all depends on time to UH. That's why I always take a quick snapshot with the time played and pointing at the xp bar so I have the level to get to UH recorded. I view anything before level 8 as an exile win and as the grind goes past level 8 as a Wookie win and level 9 before UH comes out... well I'll just keep that level of aspi grind insanity to myself (and only commiserate about it in the Twilight Strand Level 9 Beach Club with my other unfortunate TSB level 9 exiles).

Hmm, by that metric, I guess the Wookie wins, although not by much.

I was past level 8, but not that far into it. My count was 145 kills. (Give or take).
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
It was the best of times, it was the worse of times... STOP... this is truly only the worst of insanity times! This is the end of TSB farming for more than 1 per expansion. Even my aspi Oni farming insanity has been thoroughly ground down.

My first Betrayal Oni-Goroshi came at:

After the first UH kill, UH #2 is really staying in hiding as I had to go the full time grind distance yet again (damn... I keep swearing to myself "Never again! Never again!" yet here I am on the beach pounding more sand).

Uber Hillock... Uber Hillock... Not again!!! Please don't be so shy. Please come out and play. Oh drat, where are you?!... Why do you stay in hiding for so long?

Finally!... Oh no you don't pull a Charan sword on me!

UH is dead again... HURRAY!!!

Oh the pain, pain, pain of the grind. Sheer madness I tell you!

Spoiler

A quick reroll and... Oh damn... I don't have any Divine orbs... {SIGH!}

Ok, I have positively verified the earlier discussion about UH not leap slamming if you face tank him. I face tanked UH completely and double striked him to death in < 1 minute. He leap slammed me once and only once at about the 10% health mark. The few awakened that spawned were easily dispatched and UH died quickly thereafter.

So now we know, a melee facetank UH kill results in just one leap slam.

To all Oni farmers... Have fun on the beach and don't blow out your flip-flop.  :)

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I keep seeing the sword in town in Betrayal SSF

That's probably just me and Arrowneous, but really, we do appreciate it!

(If it's a Scion wearing Redeemer armor and using a Verdant Weapon effect, then it's definitely me).

"
Arrowneous wrote:

He'd just murder me that way. I usually use
Spectral Throw to take care of him. It's a fair amount of kiting, but it's till more exciting than waiting for him to spawn in the first place.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
Last edited by Unquietheart on Feb 13, 2019, 11:12:12 PM
God damn look at that. Makes me feel like a scrub for my TERRIBLE marauder attempt earlier in this thread. Looks like I may need to get back in the saddle on farming this out. Or take it up next league before leveling up to end game. The Oni is to much fun to pass up.

Hopefully I don't go back to logging over to my other character the moment I complete something. (I did this for so long earlier this league, that after doing a map or anything I would rotate to one of my oni characters. Took far to long to break that habit.)
"
Unquietheart wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:
I keep seeing the sword in town in Betrayal SSF

That's probably just me and Arrowneous, but really, we do appreciate it!

(If it's a Scion wearing Redeemer armor and using a Verdant Weapon effect, then it's definitely me).

"
Arrowneous wrote:

He'd just murder me that way. I usually use
Spectral Throw to take care of him. It's a fair amount of kiting, but it's till more exciting than waiting for him to spawn in the first place.

Not true. My only unique gear was:

I was still using the rusted sword:

But on a level 9 exile tanking UH was a breeze. Grind torture for sure getting to UH but then the fight was over quickly (makes sense with 8 passives).

But I've learned from my first Duelist UH fight a year ago. If you take a huge life hit from him and run away he will just leap slam and ultimately you will end up with this:

Just getting to UH at this point is very difficult trying to lure the Awakened mob off him and his minions move so fast that they're mobbing the poor exile real quick. Needless to say I died a lot in that encounter (27 times to be exact) so on a melee build trying to attack/dodge/repeat just doesn't work. Obviously the Scion ST is the best for UH with Witch fire-balling him 2nd:

This was my 1st Betrayal UH battle and I died once.
My 2nd UH battle with Duelist exile was over quick with no deaths.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
Not true. My only unique gear was:

I was still using the rusted sword:

But on a level 9 exile tanking UH was a breeze.

Huh... he always seems to take off half my life total at a single swing whenever I'm in melee range. But ... I'm not sure if I've ever found a Bramblejack during the grind either ...
"
Unquietheart wrote:
Huh... he always seems to take off half my life total at a single swing whenever I'm in melee range. But ... I'm not sure if I've ever found a Bramblejack during the grind either ...

Even on a level 9 exile I was sometimes taking hits that were over 1/2 of total life. I had 3 medium life flasks and 2 medium mana flasks to keep healthy + 4% + 4% + 5% increased life and 6% + 6% increased evasion and armour from the passives. Add to that 14% + 12% +12% physical and melee damage and 3% + 12% attack speed + 20% accuracy = UH is dead < 1 minute before I ran out of life flasks. This probably wouldn't have worked if I had found UH earlier so it is a huge trade-off grinding for much too long but then face-tanking UH and straight up killing him was easy (I never had to move).

Since GGG has hugely wild RNG swings in time grind until finding UH from the #1 to the #2 I see no good reason (even with aspi rinse and repeat repetition comfort) to grind for more than one Oni per expansion so other than a mental relapse I'm only farming one come the next expansion. It's just not worth the time.

But after I pounded my first Oni and googled to see who had made an interesting viable build with one I came across good old Mathil and his Tectonic Slam Jugg. The quasi-melee play style with fissures flooding the screen looked insanely fun so I gave it a whirl. Now at level 76 (I haven't played it all that much this league as I've tried out a bunch of skills and haven't focused on just 1 build) it is a super fun play style and so far (limited mapping up into yellows) I've tanked all the bosses (most boss kills require very little kiting) after you get enough life and mana leech. I use Leap Slam with Fortify + Culling Strike + Faster Attacks and it took awhile to get used to not sidestepping the packs (kiting) but to directly leap slam into the pack (a few purple packs are too dangerous to do this) and slam away until "everything dies" as the sword sometimes says. Quite different but super fun. And proc'ing "Her Embrace" does nothing to my health (I have enough life regen).

Last edited by Arrowneous on Feb 14, 2019, 3:02:17 PM
There will be no oni for me this League. Maybe next one ;)
Do not recommend melee for this particular hunt, I ended up at the spawn point.
From my alt account posting on page 68:
Spoiler

"
BasilWood wrote:
My alt account, dropped at 8.3 Templar.
Can confirm he does not leap slam in melee range.
I face-tanked him to 50%, once he enraged, big trouble.
Killed me 7 times, I managed to get the adds to funnel between 2 fence pieces and, with ele prolif and glacial hammer, I pounded away to refill flasks.
He is very hard to target in the crowd.
Pics
Spoiler

~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Last edited by DoubleU on Feb 14, 2019, 6:30:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info