Potential Forum Changes

can you PLEASE NOT REMOVE item display cabinet !!

It's very active and useful.

It's great seeing the items/builds of other players, what is the general meta etc... It's easier for a lot of people to post a build here than make a full +5000 words thread on the class forum.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1462987
Thanks for all of the feedback so far, everyone! It looks like we'll be keeping the Item Display and considering removing Off Topic.
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
considering removing Off Topic

:/.

For the record, I would just like to point out that nobody is objecting to having a place to talk about other games, the music they're listening to, the computers they're thinking of buying, and so on. I've not seen a single post suggesting any of this is undesirable.

What I believe is being rejected is the current Off Topic section, which is what the company has allowed it to degenerate into. Currently the majority of posts there are posted in threads either manifestly or obliquely about US politics where the same people take up the same positions on the same subjects and we see the same baiting and personal attacks.

If GGG created a sticky thread outlining subjects which are simply too polarizing to be worth allowing on the forum, and deleted any existing threads about those topics on Off Topic Page 1, then the section would be less active (at least initially), but also considerably less toxic. I wish before giving up on it you'd be willing to actually give it a chance to carve out its own niche.

When people complained that redoing the same Acts was boring, Blizzard took the easy way out and removed difficulties while buffing XP gains dramatically. GGG dared to try something more ambitious; to identify the problems and invest time and energy into something you believed would ultimately be worth it. Be that company. Don't kill Off Topic without at least trying to save it.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 19, 2018, 3:29:44 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
"
Bex_GGG wrote:
considering removing Off Topic

:/.

For the record, I would just like to point out that nobody is objecting to having a place to talk about other games, the music they're listening to, the computers they're thinking of buying, and so on. I've not seen a single post suggesting any of this is undesirable.

What I believe is being rejected is the current Off Topic section, which is what the company has allowed it to degenerate into. Currently the majority of posts there are posted in threads either manifestly or obliquely about US politics where the same people take up the same positions on the same subjects and we see the same baiting and personal attacks.

If GGG created a sticky thread outlining subjects which are simply too polarizing to be worth allowing on the forum, and deleted any existing threads about those topics on Off Topic Page 1, then the section would be less active (at least initially), but also considerably less toxic. I wish before giving up on it you'd be willing to actually give it a chance to carve out its own niche.

When people complained that redoing the same Acts was boring, Blizzard took the easy way out and removed difficulties while buffing XP gains dramatically. GGG dared to try something more ambitious; to identify the problems and invest time and energy into something you believed would ultimately be worth it. Be that company. Don't kill Off Topic without at least trying to save it.

I feel this is a half-measure. It's sticking a finger in a hole in the dam. People don't read stickies. Even if they did, this would look like arbitrary censorship, which is what it is. Support would still have to play babysitter for a board that has nothing to do with their real work. The usual suspects would just find other ways of saying what they want to say, dancing around the guidelines.

And your attempt at comparing this to Blizzard taking the easy way out with their game mechanics was...not really that relevant. This doesn't affect PoE at all. It's not GGG changing their game in any way. And it's not as if they haven't taken the easy way out there in the past -- loot filters rather than revising loot tables; a 'report' button for chat rather than revising the chat UI itself. Feel free to apply that comparison there, but not when it comes to what is essentially removing a dead tree infested with termites from the backyard.

You know how much time I've spent in Off-Topic. I wouldn't be making this call if we hadn't been 'giving it a chance' for a long time now. It's the same people saying the same crap. You say 'don't kill it without trying to save it'. Perhaps you don't realise that every time Support have had to swoop in and delete pages' worth of vitriol and hand out probations and lock out-of-control threads *was* GGG trying to save it.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 19, 2018, 4:15:58 PM
Deletion of Off-Topic would be an obviously good choice business wise for GGG, due to being based in a country which enforces strict guidelines on what speech can be used/is allowed.

GGG could potentially get in trouble for what users in other countries with more relaxed laws post on their forums, as they are responsible for the content. Even if that content isn't obviously in need of removal such as threats, doxxing, inciting violence etc.

They could also use the moderation elsewhere instead of wasting them there, save costs.
anything is everything
Last edited by Manocean on Feb 19, 2018, 4:22:49 PM
It's almost as if I didn't make my point clear enough, so an off-topic regular dove in head-first just to prove it, making ridiculous claims about NZ being oppressive with its speech.

Amazing. Just amazing.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Better search and better phone support would be nice
Just to summarise where we're at now as a result of conversation in this thread:

Forum Rearrangement Steps.
  • Announcements - No Change.
  • Development Manifesto - No Change.
  • Patch Notes - No Change.
  • Rename Technical Support to 'Account Help and Technical Support'.
  • Address what stickies should stay in these forums.
  • Merge Help and Information into Technical Support.
  • Bug Reports - Unchanged.
  • Merge Art and Audio Feedback into Feedback and Suggestions.
  • Create new Art/Audio Feedback stickies in Feedback and Suggestions.
  • Rename "Skill Gem" Feedback to "Skill and Support Gem Feedback".
  • Merge Support Gem Feedback into Skill Gem Feedback.
  • Xbox One Section - Unchanged.
  • Classes/Builds subcategory unchanged but move ranking to under 'Help' subcategory.
  • Merge Hideouts and Community Showcase into General Discussion.
  • Community Section includes only: Guilds, Communities, Community Streaming/
  • Make either no politics/controversial subjects rule for Off Topic or remove off topic.
  • Reassess what to do with Gameplay Help/Discussion and where to put guides.

News
  • Announcements
  • Development Manifesto
  • Patch Notes
  • This isn't locked in yet so it's still open to further discussion.

Help
  • Account Information and Technical Support
  • Gameplay Help and Discussion

Builds/Classes
  • Duelist
  • Marauder
  • Ranger
  • Scion
  • Shadow
  • Templar
  • Witch

Feedback
  • Bug Reports
  • Feedback and Suggestions
  • Skill and Support Gem Feedback

Discussion
  • General Discussion
  • Off Topic (Maybe)
  • Item Display Cabinet

Xbox One
  • Unchanged

Community
  • Guilds
  • Community Streaming
  • Communities

Racing and PvP
  • Unchanged

Trading
  • Unchanged

This isn't locked in yet so it's still open to further discussion.
Does this mean threads will be completely deleted in the future?

What i mean is, currently all the "this has no category" post's get moved to OT as a final resting place, but if that get's deleted they will have no place to be moved to.

I reckon that was the original goal of OT's creation before it turned into a political fest warranting moderation.

Sort of curious what will replace that.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Just throwing in my two cents to say that I agree that Off Topic should be removed.
I think it invites a toxic environment overall and on top of that I do not think it serves any purpose, we are here to discuss the game Path of Exile and the things surrounding that.
Everything else belongs on other forums.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info