Supporting GGG and PoE, but not necessarily Bestiary Leaguespansion

"
Phrazz wrote:
"

It's the 'not-killing' that I find out of character. The delayed killing. I keep trying to find other words for it that some of you might understand but 'cruel' is still the best one. It's one thing to be a hunter to survive or even an assassin to fill your purse or an arena fighter for the glory and the attention...and another altogether to methodically fill cages and enclosures with living things that have been proven to feel pain, that you intend to eventually kill. That takes a whole different mindset to the aforementioned murderous paths in life, and I'm still not convinced it's a mindset all of the Exile archetypes would embrace. Especially when it's exactly the sort of mindset embraced by those most corrupted by Wraeclast. Those we put down. Sometimes repeatedly.

I can (sort of) understand this from a role-playing point of view. If you're going into this game to "feel" and "play out" your character based on the lore, the "cruel act" of capturing and killing "innocent" animals might go against what some of the characters believe. But then again, it's all resting on your shoulders - and you might be driven to these sad acts of cruelty to do what has to be done.

The thing is, very few players in here care a lot about the lore. Especially when it comes to the role-playing part. Are you making different choices regarding the bandit quest based on the character you are playing? Are you going all D&D? If so; I do understand. If not, this should not be a big deal... I think...

Here's the thing -- while the players might not care about the lore (and I already clarified this isn't about lore at all), GGG seem to. They've gone to some effort to present us with seven archetypes with broad but pretty distinct personality traits. I've already itemised why some of these archetypes would not engage in that which Bestiary promises, especially the Ranger. So from my perspective as someone who has always respected GGG's attempts at making this more than just an abstract game of killing 'things' and getting 'items' so you can kill more 'things', GGG have done their work a disservice by being untrue to the characters they themselves came up with. I genuinely couldn't care what other players do or how; this is purely on GGG for sanctioning and encouraging something I find at odds with everything we know about the Exiles.

Had GGG packaged this in a way that made it clear that 'this is what has to be done' then I don't think these accusations of cruelty would be tenable. The trailer, however, relishes in the whole thing. It struck me as strangely juvenile for GGG. And while I don't think their personal morals are at all involved in the shaping of Wraeclast, I refuse to believe there weren't at least a few people in the office who voiced some dissent at this league's core premise and its poor taste.

As for the bandits, yeah. I usually can't bring myself to help any of them. They're just so petty and stupid and whichever character I'm playing would very likely agree; I don't see many Exiles scrambling up the food chain of Wraeclast stooping to help a big-talking wannabe who can't even successfully attack a shitty little encampment with like, five people living in it.

And two skill points are just too handy. I think the game encourages not helping the bandit lords with such a juicy reward as that. But that it gives you a choice is nice.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 18, 2018, 7:26:44 PM
"
KoffeJ wrote:
I'm an atheist and I eat beef.

Same here. But the animal tastes better if you kill and butcher the animal yourself. Fresh meat (spoken in Butcher from D1's tone) is always better than that store bought junk.

Cooking some of these animals into food, which can give you buffs might be an interesting idea. Something the equivalent of a flask buff, but lasts 10 minutes.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Feb 19, 2018, 10:23:33 PM
I was actually hoping the next league would be uninteresting to me, I love the game so much I mostly don't want to miss anything. I like statistics and numbers, but I like to do my own thing, Bestiary feels as if it will hold our hands way too much so probably an opportunity to sort my permanent leagues stuff and do some crazy things.
"
leto2626 wrote:
I was actually hoping the next league would be uninteresting to me, I love the game so much I mostly don't want to miss anything. I like statistics and numbers, but I like to do my own thing, Bestiary feels as if it will hold our hands way too much so probably an opportunity to sort my permanent leagues stuff and do some crazy things.

...Not a bad way of looking at it.

But just thinking about my Standard stash makes me tremble in terror. I think I'd have more fun sorting blades of grass by gradient...

actually my SSF Standard stash might be alright. And I feel like I haven't had enough time to really get to know all my Abyss-made chars...so I think you're right. Cheers. I'll do that.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Feb 20, 2018, 8:39:35 AM
I'll likely be sitting it out too... at least for a while. I'll have much more time for the next league after this. Should be an interesting diversion to play up a Standard character.
"
"
raserei wrote:
It's a game.™

Yeah, it is. And I've always loved how anti-heroic and self-serving the Exile has been, even when almost accidentally saving the world. The will to power drives the Exile's every action, but in their own ways. This, however, seems to be forcing a fairly distinct character trait onto everyone. Everyone's a cultist now...

meh its grown up pokemon...

very dark grown up pokemon lol

that said its not that interesting to me either, im slowly loosing interest in PoE for a number of reasons mainly that a lot of the games content seems to be tuned for SC only or at least thats how its starting to feel to me
I dont see any any key!
i like Pancakes c:
I dunno. It's just a league mechanic.

Acendancy rework is all that really matters anyway.
"
snhelhezt wrote:
i like Pancakes c:

I too enjoy pancakes
I dont see any any key!
"
"
leto2626 wrote:

...Not a bad way of looking at it.

But just thinking about my Standard stash makes me tremble in terror. I think I'd have more fun sorting blades of grass by gradient...

actually my SSF Standard stash might be alright. And I feel like I haven't had enough time to really get to know all my Abyss-made chars...so I think you're right. Cheers. I'll do that.

It was not my intent to persuade someone but cool :D Also we can still enjoy the Ascendancy changes and Elder stuff !

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info