[3.15] Fivers Frost Blades Raider (Outdated)

You are using Touch of Anguish, which have lower base attackspeed than Fivers weapons. I also don't see a vaal haste, which quite frankly is a decent push in burst damage.

Get rid of one and replace it with either Bloodseeker or Wasp Nest. I would go with Bloodseeker and possibly a Ornament of the East for the hits can't be evaded trait which is another decent push till you get a Lycosidae.

I've changed my gloves and belt, added two crafted jewels and got myself a cold penetration watcher's eye. Theoretically, my shaper dps went from around 320k to 760k, though I am still filling my atlas, I was thinking about getting the flat cold damage or %cold dmg watcher's for everything below shaper.

Progressing the build feels great, even though it is getting more and more expensive now.

To the strength issue: You have to get strength (and probably intelligence) on gear to offset the higher level requirements of the gems.
"
TheOne320 wrote:
How are you equipping any of your strength gems? I see no strength on your gear and the gems need tons of strength.

As a low budget you can combine Tactician + Carnage Amulet for 200str + resis for a total of GGWP (xD)

"
Gnannondorf wrote:
You are using Touch of Anguish, which have lower base attackspeed than Fivers weapons. I also don't see a vaal haste, which quite frankly is a decent push in burst damage.

Get rid of one and replace it with either Bloodseeker or Wasp Nest. I would go with Bloodseeker and possibly a Ornament of the East for the hits can't be evaded trait which is another decent push till you get a Lycosidae.

I've changed my gloves and belt, added two crafted jewels and got myself a cold penetration watcher's eye. Theoretically, my shaper dps went from around 320k to 760k, though I am still filling my atlas, I was thinking about getting the flat cold damage or %cold dmg watcher's for everything below shaper.

Progressing the build feels great, even though it is getting more and more expensive now.

To the strength issue: You have to get strength (and probably intelligence) on gear to offset the higher level requirements of the gems.

I havent farm any exa's this league, the RNG is against me i think, thats why i dont think y can actually get all the 12 atks/s but i do belive i should have at least 8 atks/s

I changed 1 Anguish for a Bloodseeker and the dps low down like 5K but the survavility is way better thnx for that.
I will take a closer look when I'm back from work.

The combo Bloodseeker and Ornament of the East isn't meant to be a damage combo. It is meant to carry you into later stages of the game, by progressing a bit more smoothly, as the instant life leech of Bloodseeker and the 100% hit from Ornament will make you a lot more stable. This way, you won't die as often (besides one shots) and won't lose a lot of XP and quite frankly motivation to continue the build by laying in the dirt instead of killing things.

I would use the combination until you can afford better items, I did a nearly identical setup until I found my first exalted which directly went into my Lycosidae. Otherwise, I would have taken the ornament too.

Edit:

My findings so far:

(APS = Attacks per second)

You've distributed your passives on the Primeval Force wheel wrong. Go the lower road, not the upper one.
You've taken Master of the Arena (if you need the strength, try and get it on equipment)
You don't have Arrow Dancing or Phase Acrobatics. Huge boost in defensives.
You haven't taken the Coordination Passive. (5.36 APS -> 5.6 APS)
You don't have Quality on your Ancestral Call. Each point quality gives 0.5% inc. Attack Speed. (5.6 APS -> 5.79 APS)
This one is huge: You don't have Multistrike support in your Frost Blades setup (5.79 APS -> 11.23 APS @ lvl 20)

So you see, you could potentially get to around 11.23 APS.
Your first priority should be to fix your passives as suggested above, because that should be rather easy.

Try and get a 6L (http://poe.trade/search/kitateniminaru) as your next big update.

And for the love of god: Use Multistrike. Substitute it for Hypothermia (in my opinion at least) for a huge increase in dps.

Edit 2:

Upon further investigating, I found a couple more improvements to be made:

You are using Ice Golem, get a Lightning Golem for even more Attack Speed.
I don't see a curse on hit Assassin's Mark setup. Use it asap.
Use Increased Duration Support with your CWDT Immortal Call setup.
Level your Ancestral Protector totem. Each level adds 0.5% Attack Speed up to 20% at max level.
Last edited by Gnannondorf on Jun 6, 2018, 11:14:15 AM
Is it normal to have lackluster single target DPS before you do uber lab? With 2x touch of anguish, hatred, herald of ice, frost bomb, frostbite, vaal haste, onslaught, diamond flask and 3x frenzy charges, my dps vs standard bosses is only around 170k. T6 map bosses take a while to kill. Survivability and clear speed is great though (so far at least).

Im not sure if I will be able to do uber argus though. He one shotted me in merciless lab even though I had stibnite up, and I couldnt tell when he enraged because the chill effect makes him look blue. Any idea what kind of hp/damage he has?

How are you supposed to do Argus as melee if you dont have the DPS to quickly burst him down before he can enrage and one shot you?
"
Is it normal to have lackluster single target DPS before you do uber lab?

I've taken a look at your character. Here are my findings:

Against a standard boss, your dps is actually 281k dps (all flasks active, Frenzy Charges, Onslaught, Enemy is chilled, Enemies is intimidated, all skills active)

However: You gems and links seem to be all over the place. Replacing your gems with Fiver's recommendations, we see the following improvements:

Get a Lightning Golem for more attack speed. (281k dps -> 289k dps)
Get a Ancestral Protector for more attack speed and ST dps (289k dps -> 344k dps)
Get a Curse on Hit / Assassin's Mark setup to generate Power Charges (344k dps -> 375k dps)
Replace the gems in your frost blades setup as following:
Replace cold penetration with Hypothermia (375k dps -> 418k dps)
Replace Added Cold Damage with Ice Bite (418k dps -> 418k dps BUT you get chance to freeze)

You'll see even greater increase in damage when taking quality gems into the equation.

Try and get a Atziri's Promise and a Overflowing Chalice. Replace your Jade Flask and Quicksilver Flask with it (418k dps -> 488k dps)

Your rare amulet is a pure main stat stick, without any real offensive value. You should also replace Le Heup of All. This will leave you starved for main stats, but with some currency investment, you can shuffle the stats around.

I see you've got a pretty nifty helmet enchant (+3 molten strike proj) which is around 4.5 to 5 ex of worth. If you want to, you could easily go and sell the helmet, get a Rat's Nest/Starkonjas with the 40% increased frost blades damage (488k dps -> 522k dps) for around 2 ex and got yourself some spare currency to tackle your jewelry.

A 6L Hyrri's Ire, given you take Ruthless as the last gem would also significantly increase your dps (522k dps -> 710k dps)

So, overall, with little to no investment (correct gems with quality and flasks) if you choose to or some smaller investments (sell your helmet, take the currency to get proper jewelry and a 40% inc. FB damage enchanted Starkonja's)

With those adjustments, you could boost your dps from 281k up to 710k dps.

Edit:
I've forgot your passive tree. You don't have the Primeval Force wheel. Taking it, would get you from 710K dps total to 814k dps.
Last edited by Gnannondorf on Jun 8, 2018, 2:48:36 AM
I did uber lab after that post so my character is pretty different now. My question was whether it is normal for your DPS to be lacking before you do uber lab.

Golem : Would rather not, I use golems on my bow scion, and they are a HUGE PITA. They instantly die to anything remotely hard in red tier maps (Abyss/breaches/etc), they dont heal when you go back to your hideout, you have to keep resummoning them, etc...and CWDT is unreliable (if you dont get hit, you dont resummon the golem, or if the golem dies immediately after being summoned, you lose the buff immediately anyway).

Ancestral protector : Would rather not have the hassle of more STR requirement, having to place the totem (more prep time), the range limit, and the fact tha totems are impossible to keep alive if you dont take totem nodes. Ive tried totems on my scion, they instantly die even when linked with totem elemenetal resist support. I would summon a level 19 totem, open a breach, and the totem would get instantly gibbed. Pointless.

I know about curse on hit + herald of ice + assassin's mark but this does nothing for bosses, which is the problem. Im not looking to buff my clearing speed...because I already instantly kill packs in the maps I do anyway. Scaling frost blades just seems insanely hard compared to most other skills...pretty sure even dual strike outdamages frost blades for single target. I think I have spare gem slots if I drop some of the gems im leveling so will give it a try though. But power charges dont seem very impressive...3x power charges is only worth about 10% dps and its a massive hassle generating them for bosses for most classes.

Cold penetration vs Hypothermia : The problem with hypothermia is that you may not trigger the chill threshold on bosses and it does not work on the first hit, which means the odds of one shotting trash mobs drops. Im not sure what my chill threshold is...POB doesnt include that info for some reason. Might just have to see if I can chill stuff like the vaal omnitech for hypothermia, but I dont think its possible to reach the chill threshold for end game bosses. Or Izaro for that matter.

Qualitying the gems would take a long time...im planning to use the vendor recipe and I would have to get the gems to level 20 first.

Jade flask is for defense...really nice for tanking certain bosses. I actually managed to solo Hallowed Grounds for the first time ever...the boss didnt even managed to hit me once.

Dont want to drop quicksilver either since the extra speed is pretty useful when running stuff like Haku missions and I need a slot for freeze and warding to do cursed maps. Im sure the flasks you mentioned would work better for farming guardians, etc, but im not doing that atm. The flasks im using are for general mapping, leveling masters and the occasional uber lab.

It is insanely hard to find stuff for sale in incursion because of all the price gougers that buy stuff and resell for several times the value. Saw a 25c ring get re-listed for 2ex by someone else. Really annoying. Slowly saving up for a 6L atm. I did manage to buy another ring which I cant use because I need the str for stat requirements...the stat requirements for gems are really restrictive and annoying.

Not sure if I want to sell the helm enchant because I might end up having to use molten strike in the meantime...will have to wait and see how it goes in red tier maps. I think I can afford a helm with the frost blades enchant but will have to take a look.

I did manage to double corrupt a max roll tombfist with 1 abyssal socket, its got +2 projectiles and curse with vulnerability on hit. Nobody seems interested in it yet though. If I do sell it, I might be able to afford a 6L, but 6Ls seem quite pricey this league compared to flashback. I dont understand why people make 6L Hyrri's Ire and try to sell it at 9ex when it should be obvious that nobody would buy it at that price, especially since most people consider it bad due to no life and no resists.

I actually tried using dark ray vectors and I think my current boots are better. I get slightly more dps out of the dark ray vectors, but I lose life and no base movement speed feels awful. Walking in town is a painful experience. Even in maps where I need to move a few steps to pick up loot (because whirling blades would cause me to overshoot the target), it just feels way too slow. And its definately WAY too slow for Haku missions. The dark ray vectors would be better for end game bosses though if I can get to 9 frenzy charges.

I actually did take primeval force before but I respecced because its only worth 3.2% per point now. That said, theres not many options left. After I grab the last two frenzy nodes, I pretty much only have claws of the falcon or primeval force left, the former will allow me to take written in blood sometime in the future so it might be more future proof. But thats a very long way off anyway.
Last edited by Question2 on Jun 8, 2018, 3:55:52 AM
Hi Guys,

Having a great time with build and got it up to T15 so far, i feel its lacking a bit in survivability though and if you have any tips on my gems, gear or passive tree to boost it a bit.

a few questions

Arrow dancing is that something worth taking? Sometimes get one shotted in high tier map incursions from projectile mobs but id like to be able to run at least one of the guardian maps.

Is it better to kill Alira or all for the 2 passive points?

Regarding the claw: Am i mainly looking to get a pure phys claw? struggling a bit to measure value of pdps vs extra cold damage or crit.

Should I use 2x fight for survival?

My gear:

Can ignore Rings and amulet waiting for some decent opal rings to come up so I can replace them all. And the Claw will be replaced when I find something to buy:)
Wanted to check as well what corruptions are best on the boots now in incursion? As far as I can tell you cant get frenzy charges anymore.
"
Gnannondorf wrote:
I will take a closer look when I'm back from work.

The combo Bloodseeker and Ornament of the East isn't meant to be a damage combo. It is meant to carry you into later stages of the game, by progressing a bit more smoothly, as the instant life leech of Bloodseeker and the 100% hit from Ornament will make you a lot more stable. This way, you won't die as often (besides one shots) and won't lose a lot of XP and quite frankly motivation to continue the build by laying in the dirt instead of killing things.

I would use the combination until you can afford better items, I did a nearly identical setup until I found my first exalted which directly went into my Lycosidae. Otherwise, I would have taken the ornament too.

Edit:

My findings so far:

(APS = Attacks per second)

You've distributed your passives on the Primeval Force wheel wrong. Go the lower road, not the upper one.
You've taken Master of the Arena (if you need the strength, try and get it on equipment)
You don't have Arrow Dancing or Phase Acrobatics. Huge boost in defensives.
You haven't taken the Coordination Passive. (5.36 APS -> 5.6 APS)
You don't have Quality on your Ancestral Call. Each point quality gives 0.5% inc. Attack Speed. (5.6 APS -> 5.79 APS)
This one is huge: You don't have Multistrike support in your Frost Blades setup (5.79 APS -> 11.23 APS @ lvl 20)

So you see, you could potentially get to around 11.23 APS.
Your first priority should be to fix your passives as suggested above, because that should be rather easy.

Try and get a 6L (http://poe.trade/search/kitateniminaru) as your next big update.

And for the love of god: Use Multistrike. Substitute it for Hypothermia (in my opinion at least) for a huge increase in dps.

Edit 2:

Upon further investigating, I found a couple more improvements to be made:

You are using Ice Golem, get a Lightning Golem for even more Attack Speed.
I don't see a curse on hit Assassin's Mark setup. Use it asap.
Use Increased Duration Support with your CWDT Immortal Call setup.
Level your Ancestral Protector totem. Each level adds 0.5% Attack Speed up to 20% at max level.

I love you jajajajajajaja my FB is way more better now, i even got myself a Watchers eye and a lycosidae already. I forgot to say thanks but here i am doing it, you are awesome answering every single question ty bro.

(i might have a few doubts about how to keep improving the build but right now this is the best FB's i've had)
Hey, here's my gear,

I just bought the claw for a lot of currency and realised it's makes my FB do less dps than my cheap Touch of anguish.

I believe it's just because of the 30% cold damage but I'm very surprised considering I followed the guide's FAQ to buy it. Is that expected?

Any other advice to improve my gear considering I play standard with a low budget?

From what I understood I need a better basis for my rings, I need opals but they seem to cost a lot of currency. Would also need to change my helmet enchant for FB but it seems even more pricey.

Any advice ?

Thanks everyone and Fiver for the great guide and discussion :)
Last edited by SuddenOcade on Jun 9, 2018, 9:56:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info