[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

Should I focus on getting better MF gear?
Right now I have 9 iiq and 79 iiq, also on Ventors the prioriry should be iiq > iir > res > life, or I got that wrong?
September 28th, 2018
Gem setups:
* Removed Purity of Ice setup (you can just avoid those wetas in the end).
* Withering Rain finally received proper commentary.

Videos:
* Fixed Primeval ruins link, now it leads where it's supposed to.

NEW SECTION: Delve League
* What to watch out for in Azurite Mines and how to push build to the max
* It's not complete yet, but should be tomorrow
* Equipment section is done, Monster section will get few specific encounters to watch out for.
* Will include Fossil Crafting section, it's going to be repetitive (Pristine + Aberrant all day)

================================

In other news, i unfortunately died 2 days ago to a disconnect. Right in front of T16 Scriptorium's Shavronne. I knew i was dead the moment my screen froze. Level 97 and 73% xp. I think i'm done with CA for this league, i want to make some shit builds with all the money i acquired. Obviously, there won't be any new videos unless i record them in softcore.

"
black_dota wrote:
Spoiler
All these gem slots remained empty, I got a Portal drop and decided to put it on me (why not? even if i use portal scrolls lol)

I placed it on my gloves, where the CWDT - Immortal Call - Increased duration go.

The next map while i was fighting mobs, I realised portals were spawning and spawning, so I thought it was a map mod or something, but it didn't stop in the next map too...

Then I started to realize that it had to be with CWDT + Portal.

I guess it could be useful if I can get used to portals spawning so I don't click on them.

Enhance + Portal 20% quality = 1 second portal casting. Try it, i use it myself. CWDT is way too annoying (had that setup once in past)

"
D6vil wrote:
With the 5 remaining gem slots, i wanted to add Mirage archer.

Do you think Toxic Rain or another caustic arrow is better?

Caustic Arrow/Toxic Rain - Void Manipulation - Swift Affliction - Vicious Projectiles- Mirage Archer

There's no reason to add another CA. Try something from optional setups, it has Toxic Rain as an utility setup.

"
LMTR14 wrote:
Spoiler
well I'm almost done with this char and with it this game (once again). this build is really piss poor in delve for one thing (things swarm you and sometimes you die, despite the really useful perma-phasing. and that is at monster level 72!!!). yesterday a shaped winged death one-shot me, and that is just fucked up! I found 2 tier 10 maps so far and neither of em dropped anything same level or above (it wasn't hard in harbinger to aggregate red maps when I last played)

how lesser multiple isn't in the build guide is beyond me cause without it how would you have any clearance.

ome minor optimisations are obviously still possible (I got a 5-link unique bow on the 5th try, but I could still try to craft the +3 bow), but I really don't feel like wasting time when I see I can't go up in level anymore. what kills this for me isn't the expected deaths (in the mine or lab trials), it's the unexpected deaths against bullshit enemies. and since that is obviously intended design in poe, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna uninstall on this weekend in disgust when I die to one of those bullshit enemies like the fucking shaped winged death which I have never died to ever before, much less in a one-shot!

I'm not going to comment on your problems with the game, like i've already told you.

The build is actually great for delves, and great for defence. You just don't have necessary equipment. I understand you're playing SSF but that doesn't excuse you from not taking easily available defensive upgrades. You use onslaught flask instead of Jade. No CWDT-Immortal Call setup. None or very low life on pretty much every single gear piece. For the love of god, your 5-link Darkscorn is making you take more damage from physical attacks.

How do you expect to survive if you don't care about defence? If you're shooting yourself in the foot, then don't blame everyone else. It will not solve anything. You would spend your time better if you looked at your gear or read the guide fully instead of writing angry comments.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Last edited by DankawSL on Sep 28, 2018, 2:19:01 PM
Split the post because it was god damn big one. Should slightly help with navigation, i guess?

"
Samus2 wrote:
Spoiler
I'm currently level 50 and deciding which way to spezialice.
At the moment I use CA for Trash, TR for bosses and HoA for fun.
I wanted to drop HoA, because poison seems pointless, since it's to big of an investment for mediocre damage.

Do you think it's viable to use your build as base and add TR for boss dps in the remaining 5 sockets or might I still be mediocre in singe target dps?

Additionally I wanted to know your thoughts about The Green Nightmare Jewel.
If used in the socket near Scion it should give +10% dodge attack hits and +28% to gain a frenzy charge on hit. Especially when running the onslaught ascendancy, this could be a reliable way for frenzy charge generation.

What do you think about "Aspect of the Eagle" and "Deadly Draw" nodes in passive tree? They have been changed in 3.4 and seem like a good addition for more damage over time to me.

I tried Toxic Rain in a weapon swap on my old character with 200% mana regen. Standard +3 bow with empower 4 and lvl 20 Toxic Rain (lvl 27 total). Damage was quite awful despite 45% skill duration nodes and i couldn't sustain mana despite using 1.4 AS base. It's impossible to use with this build, not without throwing out Divination Distillate and investing into mana.

I already recommend the non-upgraded version in duelist jewel slot as a solution. Majority of the time, the upgraded Chayula jewel is worth massive amounts of money (blessings are ~600c on HC, dunno about SC). 18% chance is more than enough to sustain frenzies. Bonus dodge is OK but kind of w/e when you have capped evasion.

These nodes are not worth spending points. The tree i provide has best damage, life and utility nodes already at level 93. Higher than that, you should invest into jewels which are the most efficient nodes on the tree.

"
ryoken0367 wrote:
Spoiler
First off, I wanted to say thank you for the great, in-depth guide. It has made playing this build so easy and enjoyable. The only suggestion I would make is to "push" GMP a little more. I just switched to using it around half-way through Act 8, and found the clear speed to be so much faster, easier to sustain (less shots of CA to kill everything for less mana used), and just overall more fun. It was a little shocking to see my DoT damage halved from switching Swift Affliction for GMP, but the benefits far outweigh the extra time it takes to kill tankier rares (at least for me); and it's only a single gem swap for bosses.

I just recently came back to the game after 4 years or so of not playing. I had a Ranger that was my main back when I played last, and I wanted to play her again when I came back, as I enjoyed the class overall. My build wasn't really a build, it was me picking up nodes that sounded interesting as a new player with no idea about builds, etc. So when I came back, I had a free re-spec and picked a build that looked fun (as what I had wasn't working very well). It was horrible: I did no damage, the character was pretty much unplayable. I didn't have currency to try and "fix" the build or gear either, as she was my highest character at level 42, so I shelved her and made a couple of other characters.

With the release of Delve league and the full respec that provided, I decided to try your build, and have found the fun in this character again. I've picked up a little currency from my other characters, and been able to buy little things to fit the build and really enjoy the character. I've spent about 12c so far, and found/crafted the rest myself.

That said, I had a couple questions. Would you be willing to take a quick look at my gear and see if I'm mapping ready; I am about half-way through Act 9 now, so getting close? And I saw in a recent post you mentioned that Leo's DoT damage craft isn't really necessary anymore on the +3 bow... What is the reasoning behind that, and what would you recommend instead? I ask because I think that the next thing I need to work on is my bow unless you have other suggestions; and I hate PvP, so Leo is still level 1, so this could be a good thing.

You will likely notice I have no Ascendency... my play time is very limited, and generally sporadic, with long AFKs that sometimes need to happen with no prep time. This makes playing through the lab hard, as I have had to afk and let my character die quite a few times. I have a bit of uninterrupted time coming up soon and plan to knock out at least the first 2 Labs, maybe the 3rd if I feel up to it, so that should be fixed soonish. Also, because of limited play time, I prefer to play on Standard so I'm not starting over all the time and can share currency/drops between all of my characters. As an idea of how little time I have to play, this character has gone from 45 to 69 since Delve league started, and I've had more play time than normal lately.

Thank you again for the very well-written and comprehensive guide. Thank you for bringing back the fun in my Ranger!

Thanks for the kind words, i'm glad you're having with it so far.

Different people expect different kinds of damage. The main CA setup doesn't include GMP because in the end game +1 arrow quiver is enough to clear well. It's still there as an option, it's great if your damage is too high.

Your character is ready for maps for sure. 4k life, almost capped resistances (after 30% resistance penalty). You're gonna be fine, especially since you're softcore. Your gloves are REALLY good and probably end up using them for a long time. Boots are also OK, rest of the gear is fine but some could definitely use an upgrade.

You should invest into utility flasks tho, the recommended setup i use is very solid.

Levelling Leo is a matter of 3 dailies. In HC people from 820 trade kills very often. Sometimes you don't even have to kill anyone (survive 3 minutes on sarn arena). Second best craft is attack speed (Tora 6 i believe, Tora 7 to remove crafted mod) to counter Vicious Projectiles penalty.

"
black_dota wrote:
Should I focus on getting better MF gear?
Right now I have 9 iiq and 79 iiq, also on Ventors the prioriry should be iiq > iir > res > life, or I got that wrong?

Those numbers mean you don't use Div Distillate, right? MF is purely optional, it's up to you to decide if you want to MF or to push build to the limit. Semi-MF setup i provided allows for both without hurting defence too much.

For Ventor's, i would personally prioritize IIQ > Life + Res > IIR. The rarity can be negative, but not too much. I would only use Ventor's with both decent life and resistances, otherwise life is too crap or getting resists if too hard.

Also, the MF guide is kind of outdated. Previously the build struggled on damage. Now it's possible to make a very fast burial chamber MF build. Will take care of it after Fossil Crafting section.
Thank you Dankaw for responding, I appreciate it.

I get what you're saying about GMP, useful for those who want to use, but not core to the build at all; especially in end game.

I upgraded my belt, more life, and some flask mods, and I'll work on crafting the utility flasks a little better, thank you for that suggestion. I thought the Stygian Vise would be good, but I have yet to see any really useful Abyss Jewels for it. On the rest of my gear, what do you think I need to focus on upgrading first? I'm thinking rings are probably my weakest pieces, needing higher tier life rolls instead of the crafted amounts, and then quiver?

I've been looking for 6-link bows, and they seem scarce in the good bases (Thicket or Maraketh);. Would Highborn be okay; 1.45 AS, useless implicit? I've seen a couple of Highborn for relatively cheap that I would just need to scour and start from scratch on.

Also, you mention resist cap as being capped with Div Distillate with Elemental Weakness (I think it is), what do resists need to be to be capped in this scenario? And lastly, do you recommend 20 Quality on CA before Vaaling for level 21?

Thank you again!
Last edited by ryoken0367 on Sep 28, 2018, 6:08:18 PM
Quiver, helmet, left ring and amulet are probably your weakest points right now. In that order. Your new belt is really damn good. Stygian as a base is better than any base. However if you get your hand on elder leather belt... then stygian loses.

Anything above 1.4 AS is a good base. If implicit is useless, then it's like no implicit at all - which is the case for many bow bases. Be sure to buy ilvl 64 or above.

Being capped for elemental weakness is an additional form of defence against bosses where you can't have 100% uptime on warding flask. Makes you safe in case you didn't use a flask on accident (which happens to me way too often). The cap is 109% without flask, 113% with it.

It's good to have quality, but it's not required. If you use GMP then you should just vaal it. If you don't, then you can consider upgrading the quality to 20% with GMPs or use lvl 20 -> lvl 1 with 20% quality recipe instead of vaaling. In your case, just slam them.
Should I focus on getting Watcher's Eye or Empower/Enhance/Enlighten to lvl 4?

I plan on doing lab runs to enchant my helmet > boots > gloves (gloves last cause I also plan on crafting new ones after crafting the ones I have right now)
Last edited by black_dota on Sep 29, 2018, 4:54:38 AM
How viable is this build without +3 bow? Would I be able to comfortably farm low tier maps until I can farm enough currency for +3 bow?
"
esostaks wrote:
How viable is this build without +3 bow? Would I be able to comfortably farm low tier maps until I can farm enough currency for +3 bow?

You could easily farm low tier without +3. Take a look at the fossil crafting section for the bow. You can easily get +3 with 3 of the common fossils. I got it on my first roll, but realistically it might take you 2 or 3 rolls.
Last edited by xanderby on Sep 29, 2018, 3:47:20 PM
"
black_dota wrote:
Should I focus on getting Watcher's Eye or Empower/Enhance/Enlighten to lvl 4?

I plan on doing lab runs to enchant my helmet > boots > gloves (gloves last cause I also plan on crafting new ones after crafting the ones I have right now)

Onslaught path and Watcher's Eye for sure. Cheaper and gives fkton of defence over ~13% more damage i believe (numbers changed this patch).

"
esostaks wrote:

I run red maps without issues using 5-link +2 bow. Obviously the bossing was slow but everything else was fine.
Do i place the green dream here?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info