[3.16][HC][ON BREAK] Caustic Arrow Raider, DoT Focused | Tanky | 6k+ Health | All Content | In-depth

"
Anyway, my fear is that DankawSL will not be updating the build description.

wdym?
I'm still here, just more busy in past 2 months due to various reasons. Most recent one that's still going is horrible toothache that comes and goes, completely preventing me from doing anything when it's active. It inconveniently started the same night passive tree was released so yeah... but it's better now and i hope it'll cease completely soon. I'll spare the details since that's not what you probably want to hear. Onto main topic:

Massive Raider nerfs
After 3,5 year of easy "attack immunity" that only got easier to achieve over time, GGG finally brought Raider to a more balanced state. Even back in the Legion league i named myself "DontNerfMoreEvadeGGGpls" because i knew how busted it was (it was actually my best SSFHC character to date as well). On the other hand it took general community 3 years, one successful racer and massive nerfs to strength based defences to notice how busted Raider actually is.

GGG nerfed Raider in multiple ways:
* Removal of dodge chance
* More evade chance lowered to 10% (from 35%)
* Changes to Blind (which i didn't deem reliable enough but still)
* Removal of flat evade chance to prevent easy access to high evade values
* Harder to cap spell dodge (might be untrue with item changes)
* (3.15) Removal of elemental ailment immunity Raider has since ascendancy release. (only 50% avoidance)
* Wind Dancer changed, it's now double edged sword but likely still valuable.
* All of this makes Kintsugi less valuable as a result

All of this so Raider needs (fairly) high investment to cap evade, no compensation for loss of dodge and strong damage mitigation. But of course, some things are great. Better evasion scaling is one of them but... that's more or less compensation for removal of dodge for non-Raider ascendancies.

Spell Suppression
While worse for Kintsugi, is straight up better defence than Spell Dodge except when it's capped. Dodge's biggest problem has always been rng, and only at very high values you could really count on it. If you keep track of them, many of my deaths were in fact because i got unlucky when dodging spells and died because i wasn't capped. Spell Suppression is simply a reliable defence against spells which also removes occassional one shots from enemies.

Of course there is a downside to it - you will be inflicted with certain effects that you previously wouldn't. Kintsugi also won't work against spells... but that doesn't really matter if you ask me. And despite everything, old Spell Dodge is still available. This is a choice and i think it's worth giving Spell Suppression a chance.

Wind Dancer and Kintsugi
I think Wind Dancer is still worth taking. With evade chance capped it's still 1 in 20 chance (compared to 1 in ~60) which should be plenty... but only if you manually dodge attacks. Can't facetank group of monsters anymore like before. It definitely requires more skill from a player.

As for Kintsugi... only worth with Acrobatics taken if you ask me. Spell suppression just seems extremely good from the way i see it. High evasion chest is also something we want to easily cap evade chance... without Grace and/or flasks if possible.

Damage nerfs
If you tried to make a new 3.16 in PoB you likely noticed damage drop. Big part of it is that GGG made DoT multiplier easier to get, while increased damage is now harder. They also gave us easier access to DoT multiplier on items. Well, it seems that increased damage is now more important than ever and on pair with DoT multipier now.

Plan for next few days
I'll try my best to make a tree i'm satisfied with and make proper update, assuming it's possible. It should be noted that new evasion formula hasn't been implemented into PoB yet and some other stuff doesn't work at all or incorrectly (like Wind Dancer, still applies old values). I'd like to see full scope of item modifier changes or if flat evade chance survived on Watcher's Eye.

I think CA Raider survived and is in fairly alright state, but still weaker than before. We'll see soon enough.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3053600 - My Guides
Last edited by DankawSL on Oct 20, 2021, 11:13:31 AM
"
DankawSL wrote:
I'm still here, just more busy in past 2 months due to various reasons. Most recent one that's still going is horrible toothache that comes and goes, completely preventing me from doing anything when it's active. It inconveniently started the same night passive tree was released so yeah... but it's better now and i hope it'll cease completely soon. I'll spare the details since that's not what you probably want to hear. Onto main topic:

Massive Raider nerfs
After 3,5 year of easy "attack immunity" that only got easier to achieve over time, GGG finally brought Raider to a more balanced state. Even back in the Legion league i named myself "DontNerfMoreEvadeGGGpls" because i knew how busted it was (it was actually my best SSFHC character to date as well). On the other hand it took general community 3 years, one successful racer and massive nerfs to strength based defences to notice how busted Raider actually is.

GGG nerfed Raider in multiple ways:
* Removal of dodge chance
* More evade chance lowered to 10% (from 35%)
* Changes to Blind (which i didn't deem reliable enough but still)
* Removal of flat evade chance to prevent easy access to high evade values
* Harder to cap spell dodge (might be untrue with item changes)
* (3.15) Removal of elemental ailment immunity Raider has since ascendancy release. (only 50% avoidance)
* Wind Dancer changed, it's now double edged sword but likely still valuable.
* All of this makes Kintsugi less valuable as a result

All of this so Raider needs (fairly) high investment to cap evade, no compensation for loss of dodge and strong damage mitigation. But of course, some things are great. Better evasion scaling is one of them but... that's more or less compensation for removal of dodge for non-Raider ascendancies.

Spell Suppression
While worse for Kintsugi, is straight up better defence than Spell Dodge except when it's capped. Dodge's biggest problem has always been rng, and only at very high values you could really count on it. If you keep track of them, many of my deaths were in fact because i got unlucky when dodging spells and died because i wasn't capped. Spell Suppression is simply a reliable defence against spells which also removes occassional one shots from enemies.

Of course there is a downside to it - you will be inflicted with certain effects that you previously wouldn't. Kintsugi also won't work against spells... but that doesn't really matter if you ask me. And despite everything, old Spell Dodge is still available. This is a choice and i think it's worth giving Spell Suppression a chance.

Wind Dancer and Kintsugi
I think Wind Dancer is still worth taking. With evade chance capped it's still 1 in 20 chance (compared to 1 in ~60) which should be plenty... but only if you manually dodge attacks. Can't facetank group of monsters anymore like before. It definitely requires more skill from a player.

As for Kintsugi... only worth with Acrobatics taken if you ask me. Spell suppression just seems extremely good from the way i see it. High evasion chest is also something we want to easily cap evade chance... without Grace and/or flasks if possible.

Damage nerfs
If you tried to make a new 3.16 in PoB you likely noticed damage drop. Big part of it is that GGG made DoT multiplier easier to get, while increased damage is now harder. They also gave us easier access to DoT multiplier on items. Well, it seems that increased damage is now more important than ever and on pair with DoT multipier now.

Plan for next few days
I'll try my best to make a tree i'm satisfied with and make proper update, assuming it's possible. It should be noted that new evasion formula hasn't been implemented into PoB yet and some other stuff doesn't work at all or incorrectly (like Wind Dancer, still applies old values). I'd like to see full scope of item modifier changes or if flat evade chance survived on Watcher's Eye.

I think CA Raider survived and is in fairly alright state, but still weaker than before. We'll see soon enough.

Agreed, high chance we have to change our playstyle, play safe and 'just dont get hit', avoid taking damage as much as possible, that would problaly help.
btw, it's good to know that you're still here with us, hope ur pain will go away soon!
Alright, i have a good basic tree after today that's fairly close to the original. Main differences: very little life regen, ~10% lower single target (Wither up) and ~20% lower damage against trash enemies (no Wither). However there's very good chance that late game is stronger than before (3.15 patch) once you get some end game stuff like awakened gems and cluster jewels. Unfortunately i can't really test that until later on when poe.db and PoB are properly updated. I wasn't much of a late game player either way.

WIP PoB for those interested, only tree done

Capping Evade Chance
I see couple of ways.

* You rely on very good gear and flasks
* You rely on Wind Dancer's 40% more evasion (so you need to get hit first)
* You rely on Grace aura
* Two previous options combined

I decided on Grace aura for couple of reasons, well, i also use one #% increased Evasion flask mod too. First of all it's (almost) permanent and is MUCH easier for newbies, compared to flasks that are usually a completely disaster. It also leaves a room for any flasks i want, and there's certainly a few of them that caught my eye.

Thanks to revamped mana efficiency, passive tree masteries it's possible to run both Malevolence, Grace, Dread Banner and Clarity at once. It might require a bit of mana investment/regen to not run dry so easily though.

10 second regen on a Life Flask
Unfortunately Duelist area no longer seems as appealing as before and Heart of Oak's regen is now conditional. This leaves us with very little regen compared to before (and i value it very highly). But here comes a new flask mod and depending on how it works it can give us alright or straight up INSANE life regen for whole 10 seconds. There are two mods we're looking for:

* Recover an additional 40% of Life Recovery over 10 seconds if used while not on Full Life (Life Flasks Only)
* 65-70% increased Amount Recovered | 33% reduced Recovery rate (Level 81)

This on Eternal Life Flask (picked for hp/s purposes) can ends up giving us all that missing regen back or even more if the effect is scaled with life flask recovery. Of course we'd be missing bleeding removal, but this can be dealt with "Remove non-elemental ailment on flask use" mastery.

Flasks are AMAZING once again
There's a bit of a problem with getting the mods you want now, but once you get them you can get insane value out of them. The key here are elemental resistance flasks - Ruby, Sapphire and Topaz. Their duration was increased to whole 8 seconds (9,6 sec at 20% quality!) while requiring only 20 charges (50 max). This combined with a 20% reduced flask charges used belt allows for easy 30 second of uptime... and that's just for starters.

Now if you add Druidic Route and Natural Remedies cluster, you'll increase the duration by 65% so almost 16 seconds of uptime... and then there's also a mastery that gives 1 charge back every 3 seconds. By the time first 3 charges are done, you'll recharge one extra use! Also as far as i'm aware that 1 charge regen can be scaled by increased by flask charge gained so... This can easily go out of control. Perfect for bossing and lazy mapping.

Of course, elemental res flask give insane benefit of reduced elemental damage taken on top of flask affixes like curse effect reduction etc. You could even combine it with new 40% ele res during flask effect for near permanent 100% elemental resistance. The only problem is nullifier... so MAYBE i'd dare doing it with capped evade + spell dodge. It's something worth keeping in mind for softcore tho, allows A LOT of freedom and tankiness.

Overall this patch brought a lot of interesting changes and i think it's worth giving them a try. We should also see updated gear mods tomorrow. I'll probably go with first passive tree from the PoB i gave, with option to use the second one (which is closer to original).
https://pastebin.com/xHHC92T0
Here's my 'wannabe' endgame setup with 2 clusters for this league, replacing Kintsugi with just a rare hunter armour with high life, haven't go in-depth about items tho, just have some gears replaced with the endgame version, lemme know about ur thoughts and correct me if I'm wrong at any point on the tree
Edit: the tree is still based on Dankwa's tree and CA for the expensive setup is lvl 22 because they haven't update the new value of awakened void manipulation lvl 5 yet
Last edited by MrShika13 on Oct 21, 2021, 10:00:23 PM
How does this build compare to caustic arrow/death's oath occultist?
Build is somewhat ready for Scourge league. Unfortunately due to lack of time i can't fully update the build yet. TL;DR
* PoB and passive trees are ready for early league. Nothing end game yet.
* PoB Link: https://pastebin.com/fXiVaZpa
* Keep in mind that PoB is still missing A LOT of data.
* Equipment, gems, crafting, optional ascendancies etc. are WIP and i'll be working on them slowly.

"
ESbuildsOnly wrote:
How does this build compare to caustic arrow/death's oath occultist?

It should be your job, i'm already short on time recently. But it takes 2 minutes of comparing pros and cons. I didn't compare them but occultist should deal significantly more damage at cost of speed, defences and QoL. My build's purpose is to be tanky with reasonable damage, always has been.
why use EE on the tree? just wondering . i love the build
"
PapaSmurfbk wrote:
why use EE on the tree? just wondering . i love the build
Did you update your pob? I don't see EE in the pastebin from the post above.
i dont see it now. also you can only pick one mastery from a certain type. like i can only get one node with grace has mana reserved. is there a fix to this on the new tree?

nvm i saw my error.
Last edited by PapaSmurfbk on Oct 23, 2021, 7:29:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info