Shower thought on how to make players care about deaths.

No thanks lol .
Well, only if they punish lame turtle shield builds with heavy dps checks and mocking them for their laughable damage during the fight.

In other words no.

Id rather reward players for not dying by giving them increased quantity or rarity per 1k killed enemies in high tier maps without dying. Mayve somehing lile xp bonuses for not dying while killing x amount of high lvl mobs bosses included.
"
zzang wrote:
Well, only if they punish lame turtle shield builds with heavy dps checks and mocking them for their laughable damage during the fight.

In other words no.

We already have DPS race boss fights. Shaper for example.

"
zzang wrote:
Id rather reward players for not dying by giving them increased quantity or rarity per 1k killed enemies in high tier maps without dying. Mayve somehing lile xp bonuses for not dying while killing x amount of high lvl mobs bosses included.

This wouldn't solve a single thing, reward what's going wrong AND fuck the noobs over.
WTB Belly 500c.

Perception is reality.
"
widardd wrote:
"
IIPheXII wrote:
There is death penalty alredy isn't that there to mock you and remind you that you will never level up if you keep playing like that?

In theory yes, and it worked well when we had way less skill points.

But who cares about 123 instead of 118 skillpoints especially when it takes that long.

Level 100 is just there for the ultra hardcore players as a last goal and level 90 can be achieved easily even if you die every single map.

(The reason I am concerned about this glass cannon meta is its effects on game balance. I don't want to be able to buy an Aegis Aurora for 1c and DPS check boss battles like shaper punish players for creating good builds, good from a puristic RPG standpoint, offense:defense:recovery.)

Getting lvl 100 used to be for ultra hardcore players now it s just time investment and brainless grinding. Before i used to admire players who reach 100 in hc, now I just think :"nice free time you got man"
Is there an actual point to this thread, since it doesn't actually provide any game play benefits.

If die constantly you waste time re spawning and walking back to the place you died out, lose out on xp, and lose out on a ton of efficiency in counting your farming. If you die enough you brick the map and it runs out of portals.

Extra arbitrary random punishments doesn't make the game more interesting. You want your personal game-play to be extra punishing go jog for a mile before going back to the game or something.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Jan 16, 2018, 3:57:16 PM
"
widardd wrote:
Mock us.

1. Rogue Exiles could dance when they kill you... :)
2. Bosses could do "fatalities" when they kill the last Player in a party (like how when Malachai spike-impales Piety, for example...)

Or you could just up the vexation. For example, after you die, you could have to retrieve your corpse to get your gear back (like in D2). That'd be funny.
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
"
RagnarokChu wrote:
Is there an actual point to this thread, since it doesn't actually provide any game play benefits.

If die constantly you waste time re spawning and walking back to the place you died out, lose out on xp, and lose out on a ton of efficiency in counting your farming. If you die enough you brick the map and it runs out of portals.

Extra arbitrary random punishments doesn't make the game more interesting. You want your personal game-play to be extra punishing go jog for a mile before going back to the game or something.

Again, I am not asking to add punishment. How did you get that idea?

All I want is change the perception of death.

And the gameplay benefit is death. If you think about it you should see why that's a good thing.

"Live and let live" doesn't work in an online game or online community.

I want people to understand and seek defenses.

There must be a new page scraping public PoE profiles or something, I have been getting whispers from strangers about my builds all the time this league.

And just like when I post about my stuff I have to go out of my way and justify why I am getting defenses instead of more offense.

Many players seem to be so stuck in the FULL YOLO GLASS CANNON meta not doing exactly that is considered as playing the game wrong.

I don't know when or why 66% of an aRPGs core mechanics where lost (even pseudo aRPG D3 makes you care about it) but it's getting to a point where I hide my stuff to avoid this type of interaction.

"Go play HC" doesn't work here either, besides the fact that there are legitimate reasons to pick HC instead of SC even if you're a big fan of death, they don't seem to care about defenses either if it's not on an unreliable flask.

And I haven't even touched the implications of that on the economy, which skew game balance even if you're like me and only trade for 1 or 2 items.

Hope that clears it up a bit.
Perception is reality.
I believe the basic assumption in this thread is that players don't care about deaths. This is a false assumption.

Doing things to insult and belittle players on death will not make them care about death. It will just frustrate and upset people. This would hurt player retention.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
I believe the basic assumption in this thread is that players don't care about deaths. This is a false assumption.

I'd like to see statistics, but from my experiences as a player, theorycrafter and trader almost nobody cares about anything that doesn't lead to glass canons dying all the time.

And there are streamers cementing this attitude aswell. (mathil for example)

Meanwhile players who do care about defenses and death become a meme. (Mors)

"
Turtledove wrote:
Doing things to insult and belittle players on death will not make them care about death. It will just frustrate and upset people. This would hurt player retention.

Why did it work in the batman series?
Perception is reality.
"
widardd wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:

I'd like to see statistics, but from my experiences as a player, theorycrafter and trader almost nobody cares about anything that doesn't lead to glass canons dying all the time.

And there are streamers cementing this attitude aswell. (mathil for example)

Meanwhile players who do care about defenses and death become a meme. (Mors)

"
Turtledove wrote:

Why did it work in the batman series?

It fit the theme of the Batman series. I also doubt the Batman series had a 10% experience penalty on death.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info