Shower thought on how to make players care about deaths.

Mock us.

Force us to look at a death screen or even a video for 10s or something where a baddie makes fun of us, atziri throwing our corpse into a pit while laughing here ass off manically or something.

But be careful to not make this too cringy and don't load an additional zone, players hate loading cities already after dying to elder.
Perception is reality.
Last bumped on Jan 20, 2018, 4:59:46 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Will be fun for the first 5 times or so. Then you'll press 'O' and turn it off.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
Will be fun for the first 5 times or so. Then you'll press 'O' and turn it off.

Well, I said "force players", I wouldn't implement an option to skip it.

I have come to the conclusion that the absence of GAME OVER screens at least takes part in this narrative for softcore players.

This would act like a game over screen while at the same time make the player feel bad a little bit for fucking up, without actually making life harder for anyone.

It doesn't have to be mocking, it could also just show our characters heavily beat up like in SF2.

Perception is reality.
Last edited by widardd on Jan 14, 2018, 11:54:42 PM
There is death penalty alredy isn't that there to mock you and remind you that you will never level up if you keep playing like that?
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
"
IIPheXII wrote:
There is death penalty alredy isn't that there to mock you and remind you that you will never level up if you keep playing like that?

In theory yes, and it worked well when we had way less skill points.

But who cares about 123 instead of 118 skillpoints especially when it takes that long.

Level 100 is just there for the ultra hardcore players as a last goal and level 90 can be achieved easily even if you die every single map.

(The reason I am concerned about this glass cannon meta is its effects on game balance. I don't want to be able to buy an Aegis Aurora for 1c and DPS check boss battles like shaper punish players for creating good builds, good from a puristic RPG standpoint, offense:defense:recovery.)
Perception is reality.
"
widardd wrote:
"
IIPheXII wrote:

In theory yes, and it worked well when we had way less skill points.

But who cares about 123 instead of 118 skillpoints especially when it takes that long.

Level 100 is just there for the ultra hardcore players as a last goal and level 90 can be achieved easily even if you die every single map.

(The reason I am concerned about this glass cannon meta is its effects on game balance. I don't want to be able to buy an Aegis Aurora for 1c and DPS check boss battles like shaper punish players for creating good builds, good from a puristic RPG standpoint, offense:defense:recovery.)

At some point people start going full yolo because they don't give a f*** anymore, even if you tryhard death penalty makes things hopeless, i can tell you that because i have 2 lvl 95 characters. So yeah when you get to that point you go full MF on your gear and that's it. Even if GGG tries to force you or humilliate you in some way people are more likely to quit than to tryhard at that point. So they just play a different game where xp doesn't matter and gear/drops does.
"In this game you're just a cow being milked, not a human being entertained" - Kiss_Me_Quick
Play HC, enough said.
"
andreicde wrote:
Play HC, enough said.

The solution to a problem in SC can never be HC.
Perception is reality.
Death past lv95 already sucks really hard, I don´t need any additional stuff to "make me care".
what stops me from logging out and back in to skip this scene anyway,?

sorry, 10s (or 60s) is not meaningful price to pay for a death

death penalty is quite elegant in poe. it hits right exactly those who would care about it (xp pushers) right where it hurts

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info