Water Technology in Path of Exile

You know, I started playing this game like a month or so, and the first thing I noticed is how beautiful the water is!!! it just blew my mind and was constantly thinking how you achieved the effect. I'm now a game developer myself and was amazed by the effect.
I didn't knew how to ask GGG to make an insight of the effect, and I'm pleasently surprised that you made a post yourselves about the topic I wanted to know about haha. It's a beautiful coincidence.
THANKS!

P.D: The water shader is just outstanding! I want a hideout with tropical water/green subsurface scattering effect, the coastal hideout has the regular water shoreline/blue subsurface scattering; and it's not the same :(.
i really enjoy the videos on your youtube that show the process of learning how to code something you dont know, like you obviously found Gerstner waves and went with that. cool insight in how to think when learning/making stuff
When I first saw the new water I was blown away.

Visuals in the game are getting better and better.

Kudos to the entire design team for making the game feel new again after 5 years of play.

Nice water.
I'm thirsty.
Hideout of the Week: Joe Schmoe VS. The Volcano
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkuAWFPgcdQ

Still available in Standard.
You are welcome to see it for yourself anytime.
Its good to see our money is going somewhere ;) unlike some devs.
Water, as I understand it, is the BANE of anyone working in graphics, and is one of the hardest things to convincingly render. Knowing that you dedicated so much time just on water for this game makes me give much respect. There are plenty of maps where there is no water at all, so your work isn't visible there. But you have treated this project as just as important as any other visuals in the game, and to put that much work into something that isn't always going to be seen indicates you're serious and passionate about your work.

The story about being accused of staring at the women makes me laugh, because I've done similar things when fixating on a project. Whether a project is visual or mathematical or whatever, we're going to start staring at and contemplating odd things at length. It's a nice little example of how every stranger you see on the street has a story.
I must say water is one of the most good looking things in this game. I wish all assets were up to that standard however only acts 5 and 10 are as good. It's a constant work in progress I suppose.
From League Starter to Shaper – Cheap, Tanky, Fast and Fun Physical ST – Very Detailed Guide
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2077519

Gannicus, God of the Arena – Deathless Uber Elder for Everyone
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2627521
As a newer player - I can attest that when I first started the game in Harbinger - I noticed the water right away. I love it. It really adds to the ambiance of the game and I appreciate your work on the many pieces that make up the water system here. Great job!

The moment I saw water n this game, I already love it, so technically, you've done your job of wanting players to fall in love with the game when they saw water.
How bout some fractals
I remember what the game looked like (I joined during open beta in 2013), and you have do loads of great improvements!

I still think you should try to add real reflections. Nothing brings water to life more. For example, Half Life 2 has it, and that makes the water stages so much more realistic.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info