PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Trade API Delays

Hi guys,

As we mentioned last week, 3.1.0 introduced a 60-second delay for item data that public community sites are exempt from, so that people with private "sniping" tools aren't at an advantage. We initially whitelisted poe.trade, poeapp.com and pathofexile.com/trade. There are several topics to discuss today:

It was broken at first
Due to a misconfiguration, the delay worked in our test environment but not on the live servers. For the first couple of days of 3.1.0's release, no data was delayed. We fixed this yesterday and are very sorry that it occurred!

Item data has occasionally been backlogged
Our item data is served from "database replica" machines that are meant to be constantly up to date with the real databases. The purpose of these machines are to act as live hot-swappable backups (in case the main machines die) and to serve requests on read-only data like the item API (to avoid load on the master databases).

A few times since release, the replication to these machines has been backlogged, creating an artificial delay that affects all sites equally. This is undesirable because it means that people get messages about items that they have already sold. We have fixed this when it has come up and are keeping an eye on it. If it was due to the full realm crash bug that we fixed yesterday, then it's likely not a problem anymore.

Whitelisting
The community needs to decide who we're going to whitelist. So far we've been turning down small tools and private tools so that people can't use the data for private sniping. The theory is that a small unpopular tool can use the delayed data until it's substantially complete/useful and then with the community's support, can ask to be whitelisted.

But what about public tools that aim to be faster than the existing trade sites? No one (publicly) likes sniping, but everyone likes a better trade experience and faster data. What if the tool has to be run on your computer, encouraging people to install arbitrary executables? There are pros and cons to each that we need to discuss, because they have a large impact on the fairness of trade.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last bumped on Dec 12, 2017, 5:56:16 PM
Thanks for the update. :)

Edit: I feel like the requirement for it to be run on your computer should see a tool automatically turned down. It's bad enough as things are with Path of Building, Acquisition, Procurement, and any others I've missed. Perhaps it's the Linux nerd in me, but I view the community's reliance on downloading .exes with mild horror. People like xyz & Emmitt have demonstrated that they're trustworthy, but I'd prefer not to see this trend spread further.

Edit 2: Electric Boogaloo: Thank you, sincerely, for coming to us to ask what we think.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Dec 11, 2017, 4:19:58 PM
Awesome. Keep up the good work!
That explains why I kept getting messages about items I had sold 10 minutes after they were gone. Keep up the fine work.
Last edited by sephiphor on Dec 11, 2017, 4:07:12 PM
Nice. Now drop xsolla so I can resume giving you money :)
ya thats great but where are my supporter packs
delete all lootboxes
I love your stance on whitelisting, and I am happy to hear you have already been turning down requests for smaller applications to be whitelisted. In the interest of fairness in trading it is key to only have a small number of popular sites whitelisted, as once the number of whitelisted sites gets too large the whitelist starts to lose meaning.

Thanks again for the relatively smooth launch GGG! Can't wait to buy that map stash tab!
:/ favoritism favoritism favoritism favoritism favoritism
"
Chris wrote:
What if the tool has to be run on your computer, encouraging people to install arbitrary executables? There are pros and cons to each that we need to discuss, because they have a large impact on the fairness of trade.

So long as it's GGG approved and not yet another 3rd party app, it'd be fine. For securities sake, some of us don't trust 3rd party tools. :)
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Oy vey! My sniping shekels!
▒█▀▀█ █▀▀█ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▀   ▒█▀▄▀█ G O O D MTX Seal of Quality
▒█▄▄█ █▄▄▀ █▀▀ ▀▀█ ▀▀█   ▒█▒█▒█ Verified by M-posting, Inc.
▒█░░░ ▀░▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀   ▒█░░▒█
Last edited by Dethox420 on Dec 11, 2017, 4:17:22 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info