[0.10.1g] The Groundshocker: Dual-Wield Elemental Ground Slam Marauder

Can you give a Pro's and Con's for physical vs elemental specific?

i.e your build vs a physical Groundslam build.
If one were to make a build very close to this with a Templar, the resulting Templar would have access to elemental damage boosting nodes early on. Aside from the above stated starting position advantage, is there any other advantage to making a build very close to this with a Templar?
I find your build really interesting and I am actually using it as a base for my marauder. Thanks for the really detailed post.

I just wanted to be sure of something: we want to deal Elemental Damage, fine, but Ground Slam doesn't provide any, right? So the sources of those elemental damages are gear and support gems, right? Or am I missing an important point here?
Hi Guys, great thread!

I was looking at weps for this build and I saw someone trading mace with 1.59 AS, 5-95 lightning dmg 34-65 fire dmg,lvl 58 to use for 8 chaos? ( there was no added increased ele dmg) u think its worth it?
"
Raoul wrote:
I just wanted to be sure of something: we want to deal Elemental Damage, fine, but Ground Slam doesn't provide any, right? So the sources of those elemental damages are gear and support gems, right?

Exactly.
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
I didn't get a good look at your build before the new patch. Your revised build doesn't appear completed, so I took a shot at it. I know hardly anything about builds, and going by memory on what was important, like elem damage, wep speed, range and aoe.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAecEsxQgGJEZLho4J-0yiTboOlJQR1BQVElXDVfiWGNZ818_ah5yqXbnd-V7jHzZhymMz5BVns2nMKeEqBisqrndwBrG2NIh2WHfv-dS7DjvDvIv9kj3vilPgpvVdcy38s4UTYM473w8BZ_fi4zhc-0gRteGYFYEYVJgiCi1704yCV3GtQRFRzLRuJOnCI9G0NCboWe97m_N-nyDES2D9x8Cfq92EZ6hr5uVBFZKnC2HZa-3SRvk7MG0MJcQaTmK1HznanrmYqyhbdadEduSOBVQE8xP86pSUfnsyzN2ZKMaVWEhhO-bg1PfWNuE2Z_L
"
Now then, which weapon to wield? It should also be noted that for purposes of the use of ground slam, the weapon type in the offhand is irrelevant, as only the mainhand weapon is ever swung. It should *also* be noted that because of this fact, many features of the offhand weapon will be *wholly ignored* (yes, really, ignored; see the section on idiosyncracies for further details) when using ground slam. This includes:

- The base weapon speed of the offhand weapon
- Any +% attack speed bonuses of the offhand weapon
- Any +# integer elemental damage bonuses of the offhand weapon

Yep, totally ignored! Got a super-fast, one-handed weapon with +% attack speed and +fire and +lightning damage? Worthless in the offhand! Ground slam will ignore it utterly. It will provide *absolutely no bonus* to your ground slam damage other than the simple fact that you've wielded an offhand weapon and thus benefit from the dual-wield bonus. You may as well hold a rusty spatula in your offhand.

So if that's the case, what *should* we wield? Well, we're going to want a weapon that will increase our damage. Integer elemental damage won't work for that; those are only applied when the weapon itself is swung. But *global* modifiers will work. Such as:

- +% weapon elemental damage
- +% damage on a particular element
- +N to gem levels

So *global* modifiers like "10% increased weapon elemental damage", "12% increased lightning damage", etc, will work. And what's the one weapon type that's absolutely guaranteed to give us a bonus to weapon elemental damage? Again, it's our friend the scepter!

Just a few questions:
1 - If "% Increased Spell Damage" is on our off-hand weapon does it increase the damage output on the main-hand with Ground Slam?

2 - Can the elemental damage from Auras and integer elemental damage on main hand mace crit. (yes, I know you are picking Resolute Technique.)?

3 - Since Ground Slam will only use the main hand mace for attacks, how come we aren't considering daggers, wands, and spirit shields for off-hand (yes, I read about the attack speed increase when dual wielding.)?

I ask about daggers, wands, and spirit shields because they can roll (AFAIK):
- % bonuses to physical damage
- % bonuses to spell damage
- % bonuses to spell crit, Intel
- % bonuses to mana leach
- flat integer bonuses to life and mana
- % bonuses to mana regen

... and level 10 daggers have the implicit 40% Increased Global Critical Strike Chance stat. Again I know you are picking Resolute Technique in the build, but I'm quite curious as I rolled an Ele. Bow Marauder using VenatorPoE's guide and an Ele. Slammer using this guide.
Critical Hit Jump Jets... Critical Hit Jump Jets...
"
ghoultek wrote:
Just a few questions:
1 - If "% Increased Spell Damage" is on our off-hand weapon does it increase the damage output on the main-hand with Ground Slam?

2 - Can the elemental damage from Auras and integer elemental damage on main hand mace crit. (yes, I know you are picking Resolute Technique.)?

3 - Since Ground Slam will only use the main hand mace for attacks, how come we aren't considering daggers, wands, and spirit shields for off-hand (yes, I read about the attack speed increase when dual wielding.)?

I ask about daggers, wands, and spirit shields because they can roll (AFAIK):
- % bonuses to physical damage
- % bonuses to spell damage
- % bonuses to spell crit, Intel
- % bonuses to mana leach
- flat integer bonuses to life and mana
- % bonuses to mana regen

... and level 10 daggers have the implicit 40% Increased Global Critical Strike Chance stat. Again I know you are picking Resolute Technique in the build, but I'm quite curious as I rolled an Ele. Bow Marauder using VenatorPoE's guide and an Ele. Slammer using this guide.

1. Spell Damage will not work at all, since you are not using any spells.

2. It can not crit - because as you pointed out yourself, RT is taken, so there is an absolute 0% crit chance no matter what else you take.

3. You cannot dual wield two different types of weapons, and there isn't really any shield which would augment the output more than dual wielded weapons (because there are no stats which improve it). If you want a tanky version, you could use a shield, but then you should pick a heavily tanky shield with a lot of HP and resistances, else it is a wasted investment.

Oh and Hi! I'm Venator!
Life is tough... but it is tougher if you're stupid.
Thanks for the fast reply VenatorPoE. My question regarding crits. was with the assumption that the Resolute Technique wasn't taken. However, I do understand that both you and the Xaxyx have chosen it in your builds (so the question is slightly off-topic).

I thought the damage from auras was considered a spell. I also didn't know that dual wield was a state only considered active if both weapons were of the same type. Thanks for clearing those up.

Edit:
Would there be any additional advantages to making a build very close this with a Templar aside from having access to elemental damage nodes early on? Templars will still be able to path into the Marauder starting area and grab stuff like Heart of the Gladiator, Diamond Skin, and Troll's Blood.
Critical Hit Jump Jets... Critical Hit Jump Jets...
Last edited by ghoultek on Mar 10, 2013, 3:35:50 PM
How is this build faring in merciless?
Domine Non Es Dignus

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info