Space is frightening.

"
faerwin wrote:

So there you go, the amount of energy release by such comet would be just about aspowerful as the nagashaki bomb.

So yes, a 1 mile comet would do almost nothing unless you happened to live close to the impact point.

Your math can't be right. There is literally not *one* single expert who agrees with your position. There were 1 mile wide comet chunks in the chain of Shoemaker-Levy 9 comets that left marks on Jupiter 15k miles+ in diameter, visible for months, and some of the marks were bigger than the Earth. The largest chunk was estimated 1.2 miles in diameter, and that's the size of comet that can leave a mark on Jupiter bigger than the diameter of the Earth. = Almost nothing.

"
faerwin wrote:

estimated to be 1 petajoule, which is 1000 terajoules.

So either there's something wrong with that estimation or there's something wrong with the estimation I've seen on my end.

Your math is off. The size of the 'object' was estimated to be somewhere in the 200-600ft range. Possibly smaller, if it was a comet, because comets travel at considerably higher velocity. There still isn't a 100% consensus on whether it was a comet or meteorite, but Russians claim it was a small chunk of comet, and Americans claim it was a meteorite, for the most part. Based on the evidence I've seen, and the fact that there isn't a consensus, I'd say it was probably a comet just based on the reported after effects of the event. There were bright colors in the sky post impact that would have been consistent with the release of gasses of a comet. Also, comets can be highly explosive depending on their composition. Etc, certain gasses heating up from the friction while interacting with others in Earth's atmosphere. Given that scenario, comets might have considerably higher 'air-burst' potential than meteorites.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 6, 2017, 11:17:13 PM
As I said earlier, you can't compare what happens when a meteor/comet hit Jupiter with Earth because they are fundamentally different. The "scars" aren't scars, they are just gases that are either different than usual or at a different temperature than usual which cause the brown tint. It's not the ground. It's akin to a volcano erupting on earth and having it darken the clouds seen from space and calling that a scar.

As for my math, I said in my previous post that something seems off. Either my sources were wrong about the estimations or I made a mistake somewhere, feel free to provide sources and I'll redo the count.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
faerwin wrote:
As I said earlier, you can't compare what happens when a meteor/comet hit Jupiter with Earth because they are fundamentally different. The "scars" aren't scars, they are just gases that are either different than usual or at a different temperature than usual which cause the brown tint. It's not the ground. It's akin to a volcano erupting on earth and having it darken the clouds seen from space and calling that a scar.

The amount of energy released to cause such a 'scar' on an atmosphere as dense as Jupiter's, and for it to linger for months is pretty extreme. Something more than 'almost nothing'.

"
faerwin wrote:

As for my math, I said in my previous post that something seems off. Either my sources were wrong about the estimations or I made a mistake somewhere, feel free to provide sources and I'll redo the count.

That burden is on you. I don't know physics, and am not even going to pretend to know. Impact experts seem to all agree that comets are more destructive. I couldn't find an example of one expert who claims otherwise. The burden of proof is on you. If your math is off, and you know it's off, then it's up to you to fix it.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 8, 2017, 6:45:09 PM
the atmosphere of jupiter is extremely different from the Earth. You just have to look at how the "big red spot" of Jupiter hasn't changed in 187 years and might even have been observed for over 350 years. Something like that can't happen on Earth due to the very active global winds and climates, mostly due to our proximity to the sun.

For all we know, Jupiter could have a lot of miniature biomes systems that almost entirely stay within themselves and could be the reason why these brown spots lasted 6 months. If by that metric, you compare a storm on Earth with the storm of the "big red spot" of Jupiter, the brown spots that had a 6 months duration would have had a few hours to a few days of duration on Earth.

Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
"
faerwin wrote:
Meteors aren't scary in the lightest, it's a meteorite or asteroid that gets vaporized in the atmosphere and never hit the ground.

Comets are made out of ice for the most part, if they were to enter our atmosphere, they would be vaporized.

Black holes are no different than any other celestial body in the sense that stuff simply gravitate around it. It's no more scary than a star.

Quasars comes from matter ejected from a super massive black hole (which is only found at the center of a galaxy) so it's no threat to us.

Not sure what you mean by neuonstar, neutron star? That's the remains of a star that went supernova without becoming a black hole. It's no threat to anything in that state and anything nearby would have been destroyed during the supernova that would precede this state.

Gamma burst are extremely rare and have, so far, always been detected from coming outside our galaxy, so while it is something incredible by its very nature, odds of it happening in a form that affect us is extremely slim.

Aliens that could come over and visit us would quickly see that attacking us would be pointless because, even in the event that they could wipe us without any loss, it would still take a lot of resources to do so due to our numbers and they wouldn't be able to dominate us like cattle due to our intelligence. If they are able to come on this planet, they can go on planets that are inhabited. For earth to become a realistic option, it would mean they ran out of options elsewhere, which, unless they colonized and populated the entire galaxy in a very short amount of time (essentially, saying they couldn't travel outside of our galaxy) which is quite unlikely. I don't see this happening unless and until we can be a threat.

A large asteroid impact is the most likely one of those happenstance to end us and it's still an extremely small probability. If mankind doesn't end itself, it's much more likely that the sun will do it than anything else.

1) lol say that to Tunguska (possibly) and the dinosaurs and moon

2) its literally the strongest manifestation type of "event" in the known universe

3)true

4)true

5)true

6) wayy too many convenient assumptions here, if lets say a race outside our galaxy came here, just by that fact alone you could almost 100% tell that they either have or can make such a "tool" to make every human either their pet or have us extinct in a relatively short time

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info