Space is frightening.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Maybe she has no characters and just buys her 40/40? Has anyone actually seen her play?

I have. She dies a lot. Especially to big cats.

I DO NOT
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"
kolyaboo wrote:
Apathy Zero? Or is there an underscore in it?
I've seen it too. Briefly.

Apathy Zero? Is that a play on Path of Exile? Apathy Zero?
(I just want to see what I_NO plays.)
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
Original account name was "apathy" or "apathy vile" something like that.
Back in BMBI days.
Back when Charan wasn't a thing you copy paste into Google Translate.

I assume that's the name she uses for other games too, hence the stream name.
A stream isn't necessary dedicated to Path Of Exile.

Regarding space - T-Rex is naturally afraid of Asteroids since that one which hit near present-day Mexico.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Dec 1, 2017, 12:41:56 AM
"
"
ChanBalam wrote:
Maybe she has no characters and just buys her 40/40? Has anyone actually seen her play?

err... I stream? wtf lol what is wrong with you =/
Nothing is wrong with me. I did not know you streamed. Link please and I'll watch a few. :)

Dying is not a problem; I die a lot.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
wtf lol what is wrong with you =/
Nothing is wrong with me.
kek
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
faerwin wrote:

Comets are made out of ice for the most part, if they were to enter our atmosphere, they would be vaporized.

Not necessarily. A big enough comet would punch right through Earth's atmosphere. It's happened before. Look up Tunguska Event. Happened in the 1900s over Siberia. They're reasonably sure it was a Comet. And this was a very small comet. A larger comet would make landfall.

There was an extinction level event around 300m years ago that many believe was caused by a comet impact.

They think most of Earth's water was brought here by comets. And one of the top theories about how life started here was that it was brought here frozen on a comet.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 2, 2017, 1:58:42 AM
Personally, I find it hard to believe that a comet could have brought life on earth. When you think about it, it would require:

- the ejection in space of a large amount mass with bacterias that could survive vacuum, being frozen at extremely low temperature, the crash impact, radiation, extremely intense G-force from entering the atmosphere and probably much more.

- The ejected mass can't be vaporized due to the impact

- The ejected mass can't go in orbit around its original celestial body but instead be hurled around the cosmos

- The bacterias need to have a similar environment to what they had on their original world.

Personally, I find that to be way too unlikely.

As for the extinction event, it's speculation and extrapolation. All they know is that the mass of the impacted object is lower than previously thought and that it means that it needed to have higher velocity. While Comets do move quickly, so can some asteroids.

Still, yes, an extraordinary large comet could impact the earth in theory, but it needs a much bigger size than an asteroid (a comet vaporize much faster due to much lower evaporation temperature threshold and higher kinetic energy would create even higher friction which would mean faster evaporation).

As for Earth's water, I'm skeptical about that. Comets aren't big generally and our planet is big enough to retain oxygen and hydrogen with its gravity. I wouldn't be surprised if some of it came from comets but the majority? Earth's mass is 5.972 × 10^24 kg with water being 0.05% of it. Meaning 2.986 x10^21 kg of water. A few observed comets have an estimated mass around ^13 to ^14 and that include other elements than just hydrogen and oxygen. You'd need a ridiculous amount of comets for that claim to be true!
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Faerwin, you don't understand exactly how fast comets are traveling in space, as well as their gargantuan size. A lot of them are moving 2-3x faster than asteroids. 140k mph vs 40k.

They're not all pure ice, either. Some of them are composed of a mix of ice and rock. Like if you reach down on the ground, grab a mix of snow + gravel + dirt in your hand, and compress it really, really tight, that's not unlike what a comet might be composed of. It's the equivalent of a frozen mass of concrete.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 3, 2017, 3:37:26 PM
10^21kg over 10^9 years is 10^12kg/year. For comparison; that's our annual carbon emission in the recent decade.

You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
I am aware of both of those.

The thing is that even so, higher velocity == higher friction = higher heat = higher vaporization per unit of distance traveled in atmosphere.

Their size isn't that big for the most part, sure, some could have been huge but with current observations, it seems quite unlikely that gargantuans comets to have existed in high amounts and ever more unlikely that the earth got hit by multiples of them.

@upandatem That's a fair point
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info