Space is frightening.

Isn't earth created by massive amounts of debris floating around a mass(sun) for prolonged amounts of time pulling it all together neatly.

Depending on how you define debris, those could have been "comets" in their respective time.

In which case earth would literally be a massive amount of comets clashing into one another over a couple million of years.(growing in mass and attracting more and more)

Or maybe i just got that all wrong.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
a comet would just move right through the mass of debris due to it's velocity during the early stage of planet formation.

https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/COMPLETE/learn/star_and_planet_formation.html
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
IGN: Poltun
Faerwin, what happens when a considerably larger, fast moving heavier object passes through a field of smaller objects that are stationary, or slower moving?

You seem to have this notion that just because comets are made of ice that they're delicate little flowers that can't impact anything without breaking apart.

Also, Earth didn't originally have an atmosphere. It was created through gasses that were brought to the planet post-formation. So comet impacts early in Earth's formation would have not met the atmospheric resistance that they would now, even though a big enough comet, etc miles in diameter, could easily punch through Earth's current atmosphere. The air burst explosion from a 1m+ wide comet in the atmosphere would be a bigger explosion than all the combined yield of every nuclear weapon on the planet, and bye-bye atmosphere. We're all dead, even if the comet never hits ground. Blackened is the end, just like the Metallica song.

They think the first billion years or so during Earth's formation was constant orbital bombardment.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 3, 2017, 7:22:42 PM
"
In our world we live in a area full of death.

Astroids
Comets
Meteors
Blackholes
Quasars
Neuonstars
Gamma burst
Aliens who are evil and want to murder offtopic cuz there bullies

I really am frightened :(

/dinosaurs

None of that is as frightening as the human race.
Faerwin, ask any astronomer or even a meteorologist what would happen if a 1m+ wide comet is on a 100% trajectory with Earth. 100% of them would say 'extinction level event', not herp! derp! ATMOSPHERE = ES in PoE and Earth tanks it like a champ while we all sit back and watch colorful lights in the sky.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 3, 2017, 7:32:30 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
Faerwin, what happens when a considerably larger, fast moving heavier object passes through a field of smaller objects that are stationary, or slower moving?

You seem to have this notion that just because comets are made of ice that they're delicate little flowers that can't impact anything without breaking apart.

Also, Earth didn't originally have an atmosphere. It was created through gasses that were brought to the planet post-formation. So comet impacts early in Earth's formation would have not met the atmospheric resistance that they would now, even though a big enough comet, etc miles in diameter, could easily punch through Earth's current atmosphere. The air burst explosion from a 1m+ wide comet in the atmosphere would be a bigger explosion than all the combined yield of every nuclear weapon on the planet, and bye-bye atmosphere. We're all dead, even if the comet never hits ground. Blackened is the end, just like the Metallica song.

They think the first billion years or so during Earth's formation was constant orbital bombardment.

The comet would most likely lose some small chunk of itself.

I never said that comets are delicate, just that they melt a lot faster than regular asteroids when they reach an atmosphere.

The earth always had an atmosphere. It initially began with hydrogen and helium mainly since these were extremely abundant gases (comparatively to the rest). That said, most of it escaped into space due to their ascending velocity (earth was extremely hot during formation). Then during the hardening of the crust, volcanoes brought out gasses from the inner mantle in what we currently call the atmosphere. It didn't come from outside although some of it certainly did.

I highly doubt that a air burst from a wide enough comet could do that. An impact, ok, but I have high doubt on a burst. The energy released would be extremely high but it would lose strength as it travels. Still, I can't find any data on that subject so if you got a link, send it to me.
Build of the week #9 - Breaking your face with style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_EcQDOUN9Y
by 1m, what do you mean? 1 mile?
"
faerwin wrote:
by 1m, what do you mean? 1 mile?

Yes. 1 whole mile. That's not going to completely burn up in Earth's atmosphere. At the very minimum, massive air burst that's the largest explosion ever recorded in human history, and probably the last explosion ever to be recorded in human history.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Dec 3, 2017, 8:40:16 PM
I heard someone propose a 'last resort' idea that one could possibly detonate nuclear weapons simultaneously in the vicinity of an impact event to cancel out, or dull the impact's blast wave. I guess the downside to that idea is if the blast wave just face rolls it over, it'll spread radioactive particles around the planet. Not that it would matter, because we're talking extinction level event if we do nothing, and if by some chance it mitigates the damage down to something that's recoverable, nuclear fallout or not, it's preferable to the alternative.
1 mile wouldn't anywhere near enough to be on that level

The swift-tuttle comet is around 16 miles diameter and would be estimated to be 30 times more than the arteroid that wiped out dinosaurs.

Volume of a sphere = (4/3)PI*r^3

1 mile diameter = 0.5mile radius = 0.80467km (804,67 meters)
16 mile diameter = 8mile radius = 12,87472km (12874,72 meters)

(4/3)PI*804,67^3 = 2 182 438 627~ cubic meters = 2 182 438,627 cubic km

(4/3)PI*12874,72^3 = 8 939 268 615 933 855 146~ cubic meters

8939268615933855146 / 2182438627 = 4095999999,8817~ (let's round it to 4096000000)

That's the amount of times /stronger a 16m comet would have over a 1m comet assuming same density and velocity.

If we could survive something that's 1/30 of that strength, albeit with catastrophic conditions, I'm pretty sure a 1 mile comet would do just about nothing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info