ALL HAIL PRESIDENT TRUMP

"
1453R wrote:
I think you may've misunderstood me a bit. You're right, of course - certain hobbies, if we want to call them 'hobbies', are unacceptable. One of the government's primary jobs is to uphold peace and public health/safety. If you go around strangling Bostonians or such, you're a threat to the public peace and it is in fact the government's job to come down on you.

My argument is mostly that if someone is not a threat to the public peace, it's not the government's job to come down on them. If they want to get baked off their ass in the comfort and security of their own home (and they're an adult in a competent state of mind to make that decision), who's to say they can't? If I want to buy a modern rifle for the purpose of going to my local range and perforating some targets, then so long as the government has a reasonable guarantee that I'm not going to do anything else with that rifle, why should they stop me?
Well, yes. The idea behind peace isn't to threaten all of the hobbies, merely the hobbies that are deemed threatening; however, the implicit question is "which hobbies are threatening?" for which there is plenty of room for rational disagreement.

I hope by now, in this and other threads, I've explained myself well enough that you are not surprised that my answer to that disagreement is to take no side whatsoever. I have no problem with the legitimate owner of a property saying, within the jurisdiction that is rightfully his to control, that anyone found baked off their ass will be removed by force. Simultaneously I have no issue with the landowner who says that, on her property, all visitors must be baked off their asses or they'll be physically removed. I recognize the right of both to exercise their property rights, even if it's based on foolish whim. The issue is not authoritarianism vs permissiveness, as you frame it, but instead one of jurisdiction — no one has a right to govern that which they do not own, while everyone has a (negative) right to govern that which they do own. The issue is not which hobbies pose threats, but who gets to decide which hobbies are threats for which areas.

There is no perfect government, no Platonic ideal of a legal system designed by infallible philosopher kings. Laws are ultimatums backed by the credible threat of retaliatory force, and a secure defense needs to evolve these ultimatums to ephemeral and local conditions caused by evolving and diverse threats — as such, the laws that work best in one place and/or time are not those that work best in another. Thus, a series of governments of limited jurisdiction and diverse methods serves the constituency better than a single, united one. The pasta sauce principle applies to governments no differently than it applies to variety among foods.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 10, 2018, 12:15:44 AM
"
1453R wrote:
'Innocent until proven guilty' is supposed to be an integral part of our criminal justice system. That principle doesn't really seem to apply universally, though. The assumption that the vast majority of people are law-abiding folk who just want to go about their lives is kinda falling off the wagon, and I figure maybe we should catch it before it slips away completely, ne?

Quoting for posterity.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
diablofdb wrote:
Peace talk with Kim Jong Un and Trump? ohhh Peace between North and south Korea. Man if this was going on during Obama's administration the MSM would be begging to give him a 2nd Nobel price for peace.

They didn't? Obama providing food aid to North Korea for temporary moratorium on nuclear testing must be too boring to report. What is Trump gonna do? North Korea isn't gonna throw their nukes away, the most likely scenario would be North Korea agree to a temporary moratorium on nuclear testing just like before. You just go one big round just to do that.
"
deathflower wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
Man if this was going on during Obama's administration the MSM would be begging to give him a 2nd Nobel price for peace.
They didn't? Obama providing food aid to North Korea for temporary moratorium on nuclear testing
OBAMA used GIBS!
It's not very effective…
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
Man if this was going on during Obama's administration the MSM would be begging to give him a 2nd Nobel price for peace.
They didn't? Obama providing food aid to North Korea for temporary moratorium on nuclear testing
OBAMA used GIBS!
It's not very effective…

No No No. Trust me. GIBS is good. You don't want North Korea to invite you to a unprecedentedly lengthy and inevitable complex negotiation table where they make ridiculous offers and demand unreasonable concessions like withdrawing all American troops from the Korean Peninsula. If you expect North Korea to denuclearized without demanding sizable concessions from the US for it, it is not realistic either. That is apparently why most US president would wish to avoid that.

"
deathflower wrote:

No No No. Trust me. GIBS is good. You don't want North Korea to invite you to a unprecedentedly lengthy and inevitable complex negotiation table where they make ridiculous offers and demand unreasonable concessions like withdrawing all American troops from the Korean Peninsula. If you expect North Korea to denuclearized without demanding sizable concessions from the US for it, it is not realistic either. That is apparently why most US president would wish to avoid that.

US troops can leave South Korea; they'd be fine. Any soldier who has served in South Korea can tell you: the ROK Army will have zero problems crushing North Korea in any type of combat. The only actual threat from North Korea is nuclear weapons; certainly not their military LOL
"
deathflower wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
deathflower wrote:
Obama providing food aid to North Korea for temporary moratorium on nuclear testing
OBAMA used GIBS!
It's not very effective…
No No No. Trust me. GIBS is good
Not against Nuclear Testing type.

------------

On a completely unrelated note, I have noticed that the left is slowly learning how to meme, although currently they are in the "lulz" infancy stage where it isn't dangerous. I estimate they should be capable of meme jihad in 3 or 4 years, which means I'm not very confident about their chances in 2020 (although it's not impossible if they rush meme development) but I will expect a strong Democratic showing with a radical populist rebranding of the party in 2024. Too early by eight years, Bernie.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 10, 2018, 11:38:52 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Too early by eight years, Bernie.

That is fantastic, the guy is a dolt.

I am really hoping for a strong, popular republican contender for 2020. I fear that eight full years of Trump will just perpetuate the cycle of the pendulum swinging too far. We need a full stop in the middle and get some stable rhythms going again. If not, then 8 years of whatever commie fuckwit the left’s identitarian voodoo conjures up will make 8 years of Trump look like Christmas.

On the other hand, if we get legit results from NK, the media would have to say something nice about Trump, and that’d likely break them. 8 years wouldn’t be so bad if we could do away with the Twitter<->Headline sniping.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
Last edited by CanHasPants on Mar 10, 2018, 2:08:29 PM
When you give a speech to miners and magically most of those miners are Indian women for some reason.

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
[Removed by Support]

That's funny, in the first two paragraphs they do a review of how much they hate Trump, before getting to the actual point of the article. I pity people so wrapped up in hatred, like the author of that article.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info