[3.0] CWDT "Flickerpuke" ~48 Spells per sec, 12 spells per cast | With/Without Acuity | Facetank T16

"
Do you really need damage taken gained as mana?

It's a nice to have thing - sometimes you get hit for a lot and you run out of mana. But with damage taken gained as mana, it smooths it out as it will regen your mana quicker than any other method in game.
Guild #YoloSwag <SWAG>
HSC: SwaglordYolomancerII
Time zone: GMT +8 (Hong Kong)
I guess the question whether this mechanic is needed or not depends on multiple factors:

- The damage you deal (more damage = more leech)

- The average crit chance shared between all hits (more instant leech, ignoring 20% leech cap)

- The amount of (unreserved) mana you have (more = less likely to be drained)

- The actual mana cost of your skill_1 (less mana spent = less likeley not having enough to cast again)

- the actual mana cost of your skill_2 (less mana spent = less damage via MoM on your mana)

- The % of total mana leech (for example 0.6% on boot enchant)

- Mana recovery (time it takes to gather mana for a cast while retreating)

- The total number of hits/sec a single cast can do

- The duration of firestorm/blade vortex (a single proc can get you a longer way mana wise)

- Damage you take outside of Scold's (less ele damage taken = less MoM-stress)

In my opinion it is actually rather easy to balance out this equation in your favor. This has the clear advantage that you freed up the implicits for more usefull stuff like +1 curse or +1 frenzy charge. (This point of course does not apply to rings, where the mana gained is fine) Obviously having more damage is preferable, so that 1% of the damage gives you enough mana to cast/attack again.

For your build specificly, I kind of disagree on multistrike as a concept. What is the reasoning behind this anyway? If cwdt limits you to 4 mana-expenditures/sec, why would you aim so high?
Is it because of the mana multiplier on multistrike? Dudes, just corrupt your Acuities with cast on crit and call it a day :D

Give it a try, limit your flicker to 4 attacks/sec, adjust the gems and see your spells proc every time you actually port somewhere. 2/3 flicker-teleports are actually useless with multistrike.

Same goes for spell echo for Scold's btw. Having that 70% more cast speed is not enough to offset the uselessness of the free second cast (in my opionion)

Also, I would like to get your opinion on this beauty:
If balanced right, this could net you 5 procs/sec and resulting in 25% more damage.

Last edited by CrystallineDIVA on Oct 16, 2017, 11:54:35 AM
Multistrike is for both mana and the attack speed bonus! It makes it easier to reach 4 attacks per second. Also I found that the faster you attack with flicker, the less likely mobs will hit you.

Currently I don't really need more frenzy charges :P It'll be good to have one more but it's easy to reach the cap. The belt may be good but with the Harbinger buff you might go over the 0.2s cap easily. I think it's hard to balance that attack speed, especially with the lack of life and resists :\
Guild #YoloSwag <SWAG>
Last edited by Xymordos on Oct 16, 2017, 2:19:42 PM
"
Hey, just stopping by to tell you that your guide is great and comprehensive. I ran several Scold's characters in breach league and have to tried to make one work since the patch that requires you to actually spent mana.

Atziris Acuity are the light in the darkness.

I tried flicker strike but it never quite clicked with me. In breach league, I have done such excessive testing that I tried a purely caster build that is simimlar to the ones I am familiar with.

Long story short, I am running a 0,26 seconds/cast curse that deals me anything from 0-900 damage depending on the support gems and number of fevered minds I use. I am currently (and will continue to do so) running lvl 14 cwdt, since the premise is to cast all spells with each cast of my curse.

Why so "low"? Well, I have come to the conclusion that the exponentially required self damage for proccing the spells is gimping my effectife HP too much, so I settled for 1980 HP permanently missing from my max HP-pool to be enough. (cwdt lvl 18 is 50 more of missing HP with only 16% more damage)

This setup has several advantages / disadvantages over your setup:

Pros:
+ More life (currently 5790 life + 2760 mana)
+ More Jewel slots for resists/life/damage/threshold
+ Only a 4 linked curse needed for self damage
+ lvl 20 arcane surge to more than offset the lower cwdt lvl
+ Thus, I have 2 additional free gem sockets
+ Not having to be in melee range for scary bosses
+ No worries about attack speed, reaching the ~ 4 cast/secend is quite easy
+ Not bound to a melee weapon, which opens up the build to a HUGE pool of new concepts

Cons:
- No instant flickering into mobs
- Frenzy charges are hard to come by
- Accidently cursing a non-reachable area can be slightly annoying sometimes as you don't cast there

There is much more I can think of as regards of the pro/cons but I don't want to over-emphasize those here as the build concepts are similar but not identical. If you want to hear more or perhaps discuss what options can be chosen from, I am willing to help you. Again, I did extremely extensive testing on this kind of build in breach league, so anyone that can add to that knowledge is very welcome!

Oh yeah, before I forget, this is my curse-setup:
(not perfect yet gem-wise) ideally, you want a lvl 21 curse for the extra mana cost. When you then change empower to inc duration (140% vs 125% multiplyer), you can drop another Fevered Mind for a jewel / additional nodes.

I really would like to try your build version! I'm without acuity so I would like to try a budget version - for me killing stuffs until T14 is more then enough, I like fun builds without pretenting to kill end game bosses.
Would you mind sharing your character setup with us, or even better make a post with skill tree / suggestions / etcetc?
I like the idea to "cast on curse", and a lower level cwdt that is more than enough until some high tier maps I suppose.
What do you think about using a pledge of hands staff? It will double our mana, making easier to sustain some seconds of casting without acuity right? Plus it would add a free spell echo in the mix, you don't love this support gem but it would help for total DPS throughput anyway
Pledge of hands is a great staff generally speaking. The only "problem" I see is getting the lvl 30 spell echo to work. You want your setup to damage you 4 times per seconds. That doen't mean casting 4 times a second but spending mana 4 times a second.

Since multistrike and spell echo work the way that your additional cast/attacks are free, you will need to up your cast speed/attack speed by a huge amount to compensate for that.

However, with gear and such it can be done! The 100% mana from pledge is huge on MoM builds in general and leaves plenty of room for the "non-acuity"-Version's mana pool! (I end up wiht almost 4k mana equipping pledge!)

If you need help getting your character started, we will figure something out.
"
Pledge of hands is a great staff generally speaking. The only "problem" I see is getting the lvl 30 spell echo to work. You want your setup to damage you 4 times per seconds. That doen't mean casting 4 times a second but spending mana 4 times a second.

Since multistrike and spell echo work the way that your additional cast/attacks are free, you will need to up your cast speed/attack speed by a huge amount to compensate for that.

However, with gear and such it can be done! The 100% mana from pledge is huge on MoM builds in general and leaves plenty of room for the "non-acuity"-Version's mana pool! (I end up wiht almost 4k mana equipping pledge!)

If you need help getting your character started, we will figure something out.

Huh! I see the issue with the "spend mana 4 times in a second" if we put the self cast spell into PoH staff, but what about using your self cast curse setup in helmet to cast 4 times in a sec, exactly like you are doing now, but with a second cdwt setup into pledge of hands?
This would of course be possible, yet one could argue that you just wasted a free lvl 30 support gem, which kind of breaks my heart :D

I just did some testing around pledge and reaching 8 casts/sec (4 mana-expenditures/sec) is quite possible. Since pledge will be effectivly a 7 link, it is possiple to reach the mana threshold with other spells than curses.

Possible spells with a 0.5 sec base-cast-speed:
- Blade Vortex
- Dark Pact
- Flame Surge
- Storm Call.

I tested all of these setups and it seems that your 6l is much better used as a cwdt-setup honestly. Too bad spell echo doen't work on trigger gems.

There a lots of possible weapon-setups, a few of which I consider especially usefull:
- Sire of Shards + lots of projectiles
- The Whipsering Ice + lots of intelligence
- Martyr of Innocence + Eye of innocence+Mokou's (Yet to try/This actually seems great!)
- Double Apep's Rage (Allows you to stuff your curse setup in a 3-Link since they have +80% cost)
- Double Void Battery (Needs different gear/Discharge to fully utilize)

"
This would of course be possible, yet one could argue that you just wasted a free lvl 30 support gem, which kind of breaks my heart :D

I just did some testing around pledge and reaching 8 casts/sec (4 mana-expenditures/sec) is quite possible. Since pledge will be effectivly a 7 link, it is possiple to reach the mana threshold with other spells than curses.

Possible spells with a 0.5 sec base-cast-speed:
- Blade Vortex
- Dark Pact
- Flame Surge
- Storm Call.

I tested all of these setups and it seems that your 6l is much better used as a cwdt-setup honestly. Too bad spell echo doen't work on trigger gems.

There a lots of possible weapon-setups, a few of which I consider especially usefull:
- Sire of Shards + lots of projectiles
- The Whipsering Ice + lots of intelligence
- Martyr of Innocence + Eye of innocence+Mokou's (Yet to try/This actually seems great!)
- Double Apep's Rage (Allows you to stuff your curse setup in a 3-Link since they have +80% cost)
- Double Void Battery (Needs different gear/Discharge to fully utilize)

I missed the "spell echo doesn't support triggered spells" clause :/ TOO bad!
But it is nice to see other staffs that could fit into this build archetype. Whispering Ice + lots of intelligence would help getting a lot of mana.
Sire of shards would fill the screen with projectiles in any direction :D
Could we see your actual tree? or is it the same of OP build?

Beside that, why do we firmly need 0.25s triggering? would 0.33 trigger too weak for clearing?
Last edited by engharat on Oct 18, 2017, 7:02:48 AM
"
engharat wrote:

I missed the "spell echo doesn't support triggered spells" clause :/ TOO bad!
But it is nice to see other staffs that could fit into this build archetype. Whispering Ice + lots of intelligence would help getting a lot of mana.
Sire of shards would fill the screen with projectiles in any direction :D
Could we see your actual tree? or is it the same of OP build?

Beside that, I have some doubts about how cwdt setups work. When cwdt is linked to several spells, do each cwdt trigger all of othem or with a cwdt+frostbolt+clacial cascade+freezing pulse setup I need 3 separate cwdt triggers?
And why do we firmly need 0.25s triggering? would 0.33 trigger too weak for clearing?

My tree is quite different as I am using a staff which can make use of the global crit multi and chance while wielding a staff. Other than that "turn to the left", the trees are similar.

Notes to cwdt:
- Think the other way around: spells are linked to cwdt not cwdt to spells
- You can link as many spells as you'd like to cwdt
- Every spell linked to cwdt procs once the damage is taken
- Hence, in a 6-Link item you can have 5 spells supported by a cwdt (all of them will then trigger at once)
- We don't need 4 procs/sec. We do however want 4 procs/sec as this not only increases damage but also survivabilityy via leech

I would suggest moving this discussion a bit away from this post, as discussions about a non-Flicker-Strike-version should not clutter up OPs thread. Feel free to PM me over the forum/ingame.

DIVA
"

Hey for this one you can use Anger to get fire damage on everything!

You can make a non-Acuity version of any CWDT build right now by using enough % of damage taken gained as mana on gear right now. I'd say 25% minimum for best experience (including 1% mana leech for Berzerker).
Guild #YoloSwag <SWAG>

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info