Elemental Equilibrium

This would be more useful to more builds if you counted whatever elemental damage was the highest instead of negating it entirely if it took all 3.

E.g. this might have some synergy with a wand elemental hit build except you will have 10% for each element added from the wand passive nodes.

It's not very exciting from a pure spell caster point of view, because it's likely that whatever your core school of spells is has more than a 50% damage advantage over your secondary school spell and you are probably better off just spamming your main school spell even through a resist mob (not to mention all the advantages from this keystone are easily replaced by elemental weakness).
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
Zaanus wrote:
This would be more useful to more builds if you counted whatever elemental damage was the highest instead of negating it entirely if it took all 3.

E.g. this might have some synergy with a wand elemental hit build except you will have 10% for each element added from the wand passive nodes.

It's not very exciting from a pure spell caster point of view, because it's likely that whatever your core school of spells is has more than a 50% damage advantage over your secondary school spell and you are probably better off just spamming your main school spell even through a resist mob (not to mention all the advantages from this keystone are easily replaced by elemental weakness).

If the penalty was less, would it be more worthwhile?

We could ignore damage below a certain amount, as its quite easy to accidentally stack some small damage of an off element.

"
Qarl wrote:
"
Zaanus wrote:

If the penalty was less, would it be more worthwhile?

We could ignore damage below a certain amount, as its quite easy to accidentally stack some small damage of an off element.

I really think the way to go is to take the highest elemental damage done and base penalty or bonus off of that, it is *really* easy to stack multiple damage types and since damage scales with level, a hard amount seems awkward to me since you can't know what gear/passives they're taking to buff % elemental.. Look at the supports your players use even. Any witch with power charges will have the light damage nodes.

As for the bonus and penalty, I think 40%/40% would be the minimum good numbers, but they require some type of build or skill that can easily flex or random their damage type.

Take my fire witch for example using fireball and ice spear each doing 100 avg base on a 0 resists mob.

She might have 50% in +fire and 50% in spell power

So right off she does 200 fireball and 150 ice spear.

If I cast two fireballs, its 400 dmg. If I take elemental equilibrium and cast ice spear first and lower the resist by 20% I get 150 + 240 = 390 damage.

So in the basic case, I've actually lowered my damage by using this skill as intended. This doesn't take into account that I'd have to equally support two spells which requires 2 good socket setups. Then what am I giving up for two supported spell schools? Minions? Curses? My AoE?

Elemental Equilibrium is good fun. I like the fact you have to consider gear based on what kind of elemental damage it adds (even if its just 5-10 cold). If you decide to raise the threshold to filter out minor unintended elemental damage I would have to switch added cold damage for mana leech on my lightning strike. Wouldn't be the end of the world =)

I posted my Elemental Equilibrium build with a video clearing chaos at level 60.
This passive is bad if you're grouping with other people.

I would recommend changing this to a buff on the character itself that modifies the next spell instead of a debuff on the mobs.

That way characters that enjoy this playstyle can do it in a group.
"
Xine wrote:
This passive is bad if you're grouping with other people.

I would recommend changing this to a buff on the character itself that modifies the next spell instead of a debuff on the mobs.

That way characters that enjoy this playstyle can do it in a group.

It's true, it is a bad passive if you are running a group, but pretty much superb for solo builds (particularly builds that revolve around Tempest Shield/Molten Armor or Ice/Fire builds).

Needs to be some sort of better balance.
what? It should be very good in group as long as you're decently planned. Dunno why you're saying that it's bad for groups.

I think E.E. is a good talent to encourage a sequencing character that uses multiple elemental spells - one cast and then switch.
Whatever the case... -resistance is always good for late game

in response to Qarl: I think service functions like that are a very good idea. Makes it easier on the players and doesn't need to bring imbalance really.
Last edited by Vuguroth on Feb 25, 2012, 12:44:18 PM
E.E. seems like a fun talent, but atleast for me it's quite unclear how this thing actualy functions, especially if you use 3 elements.
does every element hit stack unique debuff, so with rotating 3elements would give 20+20=40% debuff for the third? or is it replacing the last one everytime new element hits the target?
and then there's the case of multielement spells...
if the first statement is true then just having that function on multielement spells would seem nice also. with little planning you could stack 40% bonus damage with one spell cast and then exploit it with a strong spell of the third element.
"
Vuguroth wrote:
what? It should be very good in group as long as you're decently planned. Dunno why you're saying that it's bad for groups.

I think E.E. is a good talent to encourage a sequencing character that uses multiple elemental spells - one cast and then switch.
Whatever the case... -resistance is always good for late game

in response to Qarl: I think service functions like that are a very good idea. Makes it easier on the players and doesn't need to bring imbalance really.

It could be good in planned groups, but will almost always bad for impromptu groups/PuGs.

But it's rare to have such a consistent group that planning a talent around it is a bad idea. As it is right now it's a solo talent at best.
Last edited by Xine on Feb 28, 2012, 3:33:52 PM
It seems like so long as you're dealing all three types of damage, EE increases your overall output. After all, 1 ice 1 fire 0 lightning doesn't really sound like an equilibrium.

For instance, I regularly use freezing wave for cc, firestorm as my main nuke, and lightning aura w/ minions. Ever since taking EE, I feel like my overall damage output has gone up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info