[3.0] Wand’s Guide to Wanding – Comprehensive Overview of Wanders

"
xMustard wrote:
"
Lemabelle wrote:
"
xMustard wrote:
well im using a slightly different tree, sure. just different pathing, mostly because vaal pact isn't necessary so i don't use it.

Ah, I was looking at the wrong character then. I peeked at the one Jamie_baby. I feel like vaal pact is required for this style of character when it comes to the tougher stuff, as leech just isn't fast enough without it unless you grab a lot of the leech nodes and there isn't a lot of regeneration available on this side of the passive tree. If it's working, then awesome! It's pretty simple to grab vaal pact later where these builds sit. I'm still hanging around the T9-11 range mostly, but I think I'd explode pretty quick without vaal pact as much as my health bar flickers on boss fights.

ya right now im getting stuck at t9-t11 as well. can't seem to break through with decent map drops as of yet.
right now i have no issue with bosses. i do still die occasionally, but its mostly due to reflect mobs that harbingers spawn near a god damn shield pillar while im firing out KB. thats happened a cpl times last cpl days.

i also use the life flask pantheon minor, upgraded is great. it gives 60% inc flask recovery on low life, which almost instantly fills your hp bar.

one shots are one shots though, and vaal pact won't help in that situation at all. vs bosses its where i die the most. without vaal pact all you gotta do is just not totally stand still and try to facetank bosses. you can still facetank most things i'd say, but you should be kiting things out a bit more, is all.

now that i've broken 6k life, with potential of 800 more once i get my last ascendancy, i seem to have enough buffer to soak up some damage while leeching that most things are no worry.
only maps i reroll at elemental damage.

VP is standard on any wander for a reason. In low tier maps not having it is fine but you will find out soon enough (from your description, you already have you just don't realize it). We NEED the instant leech. Combined with stuff like atziri or vinktar's if we even sneeze at an enemy, we're full health. It's the same reason why even non scion versions can potentially run ele reflect maps as long as you keep your vinktar up 100% of the time.

Without taking significant investment on the tree to leech rate, you are capped at a very low leeched per second. This is going to catch up to you in high yellow / low red maps where 2 hits will drop you before you can leech back enough. Reflect will be the least of your worries. Also using health pot instead of the current setup is also just hurting you. You should have the 2 big dps flasks, quicksilver for speed (as flame dash SUCKS for mobility), and then the defensive setup. If you're using more then 1 life flask that's also just hurting yourself.
Last edited by coaa on Sep 7, 2017, 10:49:34 AM
@OP thanks for the very nice writeup, quite helpful, since everybody is playing a different variation of wanders - or so it seems.

@xMustard

maybe you can buy some maps to speed up the process. Even good layout T10-T12s are dirt cheap this league.

Also you can give vinktars+VP a try. With above 4.6k+ life or so I can't imagine you regret using this combo, considering how powerful it is. You are using Belly so it's not like you should run into HP-pool problems in normal maps. Now that I see that you got 6k life (that's a LOT for a wander), there are very little reasons to skip VP.

P.S. I may be wrong on this subject..but I feel rare wands get a bit underappreciated now. Sure, piscator's is great and budget but a good rare wand should do alright on its own with a decent jewellery. Maybe it's the consequence of the bisco's meta.

Last edited by juerk on Sep 7, 2017, 10:53:24 AM
"
juerk wrote:

P.S. I may be wrong on this subject..but I feel rare wands get a bit underappreciated now. Sure, piscator's is great and budget but a good rare wand should do alright on its own with a decent jewellery. Maybe it's the consequence of the bisco's meta.

It's probably fifth time im checking rare wands, and still cant see how they are better. Maybe i am missing something?
Tried in POB a wand with crit chance 15%~, AS 10%, 220~ EDPS (tier 1 lightning and fire something), when i changed added cold to lightning penetration i didnt notice much difference. 2k damage somewhere. And this rare wand was 50 c i think.
Sometimes i think i need lightning pen a lot and it might be the reason why i should change, but once again checking POB with 40% add. res and it's still does the same as piscator.
Or in order to get good rare wand giving very noticeable increase in dps i have to pay more than 5 ex?
For that price it should be very high, i think.
"
Sunw1sh wrote:
"
juerk wrote:

It's probably fifth time im checking rare wands, and still cant see how they are better. Maybe i am missing something?
Tried in POB a wand with crit chance 15%~, AS 10%, 220~ EDPS (tier 1 lightning and fire something), when i changed added cold to lightning penetration i didnt notice much difference. 2k damage somewhere. And this rare wand was 50 c i think.
Sometimes i think i need lightning pen a lot and it might be the reason why i should change, but once again checking POB with 40% add. res and it's still does the same as piscator.
Or in order to get good rare wand giving very noticeable increase in dps i have to pay more than 5 ex?

Sure, I'm not saying that you are getting a better wand easily. Tbh as long as the WED on your gear is rather low and you don't want do spend much money (essencecrafting or buying the wand) it's not worth. With low WED and decent added flat, piscator's surely is the way to go.

Just saying that with good opals, rare wands become a very decent option. For my setup, I can't figure out a way how piscator's is better than my wand. Maybe with necro support and a lot of esh's stacks, but not in the soloplayer mode. Whereas I've read [in other threads] that even a triple ele T1-T1-x wand isn't worth the switch - that one I don't understand for now.
Last edited by juerk on Sep 7, 2017, 11:24:46 AM
just did my uber lab. i was putting it off until higher lvls and stuff because i was afraid of just dying over and over and wasting all of my damn blessings, but holy shit that was the easiest uber lab i've done. i wasn't even remotely close to dying and the dps is insane.

right now my next upgrade is to balance my resistance and get wise oak, then i'll be saving up again for dying sun. im going to remain spec'd out of vaal pact because as of right now im not having issues. if i do later down the line, then i'll probably grab it, but we'll see.

i'll also be buying some red maps to complete and get my shapers orbs and such so i can shape my atlas how i plan. but all this is happening with life. im pretty casual overall so im extremely happy with how my version of this build has worked out and how powerful it is.

my buffed tooltip dps at the moment is
KB: 52,055
barrage: 29,475

tooltip doesn't factor in a number of different things, including immolate on barrage, projectile weakness curse, penetrations, shock, etc.

so far very happy. i've played wanders before, but like a long time ago, and im getting the sense again as to just how much currency you CAN sink into them. haha. having a blast though.

after i get some map pool established im going to run atziri and hopefully get to attempt uber. i'll also be looking to farm up t15s, maybe 14s too and eventually attempt shaper with my version. probably a little while off, we'll see.
biggest upgrade i'll probably look to do before swapping to my other chars is to get a 6L belly. i'll probably just end up buying a belly, 6S myself and try to get lucky on a fuse.

i may end up looking to craft or upgrade my wand, as im still using piscators, but it would take a really damn good wand to beat it especially when optimizing for piscators. im not sure the damage boost would be totally worth the price increase. that is something i've yet to fully delve into quite yet, because there are many other upgrades to do first.
but yes i agree that a rare wand would be the highest dps, i just don't think you can beat the price/performance of piscators.

edit: oh right, all my gems are right close to lvl 20 now so i'll be qualitying them to see a decent bonus as well
Last edited by xMustard on Sep 7, 2017, 1:09:11 PM
Just wondering if you can safely do reflect maps as Raider with Yugul (25% reduced) and Acrobatics (30% dodge) or do you NEED Scion or Sibyl's Lament.

Scion sounds nice but the Elemental Status immunity is also a big perk, not to mention the extra Frenzy Charge synergy with The Tempest's Binding.

Focusing on mapping.

Edit: Looks like my question was answered on page 2.
Last edited by ShiningMeow on Sep 8, 2017, 6:23:45 AM
breaking into t15 maps now. so far vaal pact still isn't necessary. died once today but it was vs double boss estuary with i don't remember what mods (was corrupted tho). those bosses are always trouble, so im actually quite surprised and happy with only dying once.

got lucky and 6Ld my carcass jack, so i swapped to that over belly. still rocking over 5700 hp right now tho so i probably won't go back to it. was over 6300 with belly tho but the area dmg is nice for clear speed on high lvl maps.

with the 6L carcass my single target has drastically improved but i still require a good dying sun which is my next purchase for sure. should be able to get it tmrw as well as crack t15 and possibly slide into guardians.

not sure if my version can currently efficiently farm t15+ but we'll see. if not then im glad i farmed so much to break into the territory and i'll work on finishing/ min+maxing my ngamahu's raider
"
Sunw1sh wrote:
"
juerk wrote:

T1/T2 crit chance / attack speed / multi wands will be higher dps than most high ele dps wands, try looking for those
I have a 6L belly. If I want to use one on a wander, which class would be best to play with it?
How do you overcome the massive amount of mana KB takes to cast? costs me 81 of my 157 mana (unreserved) to cast, which leech can't keep up with.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info