[On Hold] Glacial Cascade Totems [ALL Content in the Game]

"
Of course the phys as extra elemental type modifiers themselves don't multiply each other, if that's what you mean. That's why things like added fire and hatred become less important as you add shaper items.

Yeah that was more or less what I meant, I have dropped Hatred for that reason, although it still is not bad DPS. I find that twice the amount of available mana is just much stronger. For me anyways.

"
The cast speed and crit multi one easily outperforms the shaper one. Ideally you want a shaper one that also has crit multi and cast speed, but as you noted, that's expensive as balls.

Yeah the one I bought last week had a 20% into cold and a 15% into lightning I think. Bought it for two exalts. It had another damage affect as well, I think global crit, and it still lowered my damage due to lack of cast speed. I'll definitely look into finding one with Dex and some Crit multiplier, and I'll switch those points into STR on my skill tree.

"
You run both.

Ahhh, ok. Damn from reading the guide I thought it was telling me to take out Increased Crit, and if I still have 33% crit *then* add Conc Effect instead of Increased Crit. Misunderstood that one.

I wasn't really sure about all that but after you suggested getting rid of added fire, I replaced it with Conc Effect and saw my DPS go up, I also added Controlled Destruction in there, which is the combination you ended up suggesting so that's good -- and yeah, it nearly doubled my overall DPS.

"
but I assure you it is dramatically more damage than a sulphur flask.

That's my next move then.

One last sort of random question here, since our Physical base of GC is what makes those Shaper mods so powerful, have you ever considered the extra 5 points for "Force Shaper" up by Doom Cast? I started mucking about with PoB and it seems as powerful or more powerful than most of our other damage points we can get? The two Jewel slots would take up 4 points for instance. Just curious to see what someone more experienced with the build and game thought. I haven't seen anyone go for it so I assume there's a good reason.

Anyways thanks a lot for the input, definitely helped that's for sure. I have no idea why I wasn't swapping gems. I guess I just felt the added range would help keep me alive, but it's at such a cost of DPS that it makes the fights drag out far longer than they should have been. Also didn't consider how Added Fire would be similar to Hatred in how it starts to lose effectiveness as we get those Shaper mods.
"
Defiants wrote:
Ahhh, ok. Damn from reading the guide I thought it was telling me to take out Increased Crit, and if I still have 33% crit *then* add Conc Effect instead of Increased Crit. Misunderstood that one.

The guide does say that. I'm not sure what the gear baseline he was using was to come to that conclusion, but I don't think it matches most of the low to medium budget setups I've seen in this thread. Best to just use path of building to get the answer, that way you know it applies specifically to your setup.

"
One last sort of random question here, since our Physical base of GC is what makes those Shaper mods so powerful, have you ever considered the extra 5 points for "Force Shaper" up by Doom Cast? I started mucking about with PoB and it seems as powerful or more powerful than most of our other damage points we can get? The two Jewel slots would take up 4 points for instance. Just curious to see what someone more experienced with the build and game thought. I haven't seen anyone go for it so I assume there's a good reason.

If you can afford good jewels, the sockets will definitely be better. Remember you can also get life on sockets in addition to damage mods.

Abyss jewels aren't too amazing for this build, so we're looking for jewels with a lot of crit multi.

here's an example search:
http://poe.trade/search/toazukomazumoh

Top filter group is all the applicable crit multi mods. That's your most important group for damage, and also the one that will up the price the most. Up it to sum = 25 if you want to see some really good jewels.

Middle filter group is life. I like life on any rare jewel, but if you want to save money you can consider dropping it

Bottom filter group is optional mods. They're nice, but not as powerful as crit multi. Cast speed is the strongest of the optional mods. I set it at count = 1, but if you want higher end jewels you may need to set it to count = 0 and up the first filter group (crit multi) instead.

Clear mind is also an option. You're not running hatred anyway. All you'd have to do is drop clarity, which you really don't need (vaal clarity baby), and then you're set for clear mind.

While making this search filter for you I spotted this one for 5c:

Snatched it up for my alternate set. Probably should have been listed for more like 30c, but I'll take the savings when I find it. Speaking of which, just leaving a live search up is the best way to get good deals, rather than buying things that have been listed for a while.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Jan 10, 2018, 3:11:18 AM
"

Your best gem setup, in order of most to least important for damage, is:
GC
Conc
Hypothermia
Controlled d
Inc Crit
Faster casting

Any reason you didnt put there lvl 4 Empower? I am using it instead of Hypothermia and Im pretty sure that it'd be similar or event outpases it. But I have not tried myself because Im sitting at 103 of Dexterity and lvl 20 Hypothermia needs 111.

Another question is related to Physical to Lightning Gem , are you sure that the Shocking capacity it brings with wouldn't worth to be listed there at least?
HC SSF Harbinguer : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 94 (RIP).
STANDARD : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 97 (ALL CONTENT DONE)
Last edited by lourun_coria on Jan 10, 2018, 6:02:49 AM
"
lourun_coria wrote:
"

GC
Conc
Hypothermia
Controlled d
Inc Crit
Faster casting

Any reason you didnt put there lvl 4 Empower? I am using it instead of Hypothermia and Im pretty sure that it'd be similar or event outpases it. But I have not tried myself because Im sitting at 103 of Dexterity and lvl 20 Hypothermia needs 111.

Hypothermia is actually a bit more damage than level 4 empower, and costs about 5 fewer exalts. If you really can't spare the dex though, I guess go for it?

"
Another question is related to Physical to Lightning Gem , are you sure that the Shocking capacity it brings with wouldn't worth to be listed there at least?

You can get your lightning damage from shaper weapons. Even if you don't have any lightning damage from shaper weapons, P2L is a huge damage loss compared to pretty much any of the other supports, the shock isn't going to make up for it.
"
"
lourun_coria wrote:
"

GC
Conc
Hypothermia
Controlled d
Inc Crit
Faster casting

Hypothermia is actually a bit more damage than level 4 empower, and costs about 5 fewer exalts. If you really can't spare the dex though, I guess go for it?

Ok, and what if we change lvl 4 Empower for a Controlled Destruction instead?

Maybe I can see if I can go for those Dexterity points to be able to do the comparison myself too.
HC SSF Harbinguer : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 94 (RIP).
STANDARD : Templar Inquisitor, LVL 97 (ALL CONTENT DONE)
"
lourun_coria wrote:
Ok, and what if we change lvl 4 Empower for a Controlled Destruction instead?

Maybe I can see if I can go for those Dexterity points to be able to do the comparison myself too.

Tooltip isn't the best place to do the comparison (hypothermia doesn't even show up on tooltip). Import yourself into path of building and just play around with it there.
"

Clear mind is also an option. You're not running hatred anyway. All you'd have to do is drop clarity, which you really don't need (vaal clarity baby), and then you're set for clear mind.

I'm trying that out now, was a pretty solid damage boost. I bookmarked that search form, I didn't know how to set it up like that. Much appreciated. Things are running a lot more smooth now that's for sure.

Last edited by Defiants on Jan 10, 2018, 9:27:40 AM
I've been really silent on most of these specific gear advice asks - but big thanks to magicrectangle for helping these guys out. If you were on Twitch i'd give you some "points" haha!

I think the guide and in-depth section goes into specifics on what to aim for. Each Templar is going to have a different thing that they need help on with their current setup and play style. I did want to clear up some misinformation about Increased Crit vs Controlled Destruction though:

"
You take out Increased Crit for Controlled Destruction, not Conc Effect. Not only are you losing crit from taking out Increased Crit Strikes but you are losing even more crit by putting in Controlled Destruction. My crit goes from 47% to 33% with this swap. But the MORE multiplier becomes worth it. Controlled Destruction in it's current state is one of the most busted gems at the moment for both crit and non-crit builds alike. It is a 100% reduction (not less) so it's additive with other increases we get from our tree/jewels/gear. We still need to crit to pierce resistance though so don't make this swap until you have a good amount of crit from your gear. 33% hideout crit is a good spot with a Diamond Flask to still crit very consistently, obviously more than that is better!
Last edited by thi3n on Jan 10, 2018, 1:31:36 PM
"
thi3n wrote:
"
You take out Increased Crit for Controlled Destruction, not Conc Effect.

I thought that looked funny when he wrote it but in his profile he has the correct gems in (gc + conc + hypo + controlled + inc crit + faster casting).

"
Not only are you losing crit from taking out Increased Crit Strikes but you are losing even more crit by putting in Controlled Destruction. My crit goes from 47% to 33% with this swap. But the MORE multiplier becomes worth it.

With my gear, and with defiant's, it works out better in PoB to run both, as I noted above. My crit is well above your threshold (37.15 if I ran controlled without inc crit), but it still works out better to run both.

I tried importing your char to see how it worked out in your gear, but you're in your MF gear so I'm not sure how relevant the result would be. Your ele as extra chaos mods may skew some results compared to most of us plebs though. Certainly it would elevate cold to fire in the rankings.
I'm at act 4 atm, while playing I realize the survival ability of this build fairly low, I would get stun and kill if not pay attention especially again abyss monster.

_Low level of this build does not have enough resist and life, do it get better later?
_Do the increase damage again abyss monster work with totem?
_Can you post the screenshot of your def stats of your character. I feel like chaos resist and element resist would be a huge problem for me as I keep advance.

Thank you

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info