Golemancer Question

As a somewhat new Golemancer I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents with my experience so far. I've tried a few different configurations thus far and I prefer Necro to Elementalist. The elementalist feels like such a waste since the only 2 real things you're getting are the extra golem and their immunity to elemental damage. Which are 2 big things of course, but there is a lot of minion damage in the necro tree as well so at least up to tier 11 the damage of both seem like a bit of a wash. Also you get a lot of quality of life in the necro tree which also gives a bit more survivability. Flesh/Bone offering on yourself is a huge QoL for me. Bone offering works in a CWDT with desecrate, or I alternatively use flesh offering and just run around blowing up corpses getting that constant runspeed benefit for map clearing.

I've tried dual clayshapers as well as the Victario's charity and again I'm not seeing a huge difference in damage output while the shield gives other benefits. For general play your golems will nearly always have full frenzy/power charges which is a big boost to their mobility and damage output which makes up for the loss of another golem from clayshaper. As far as immunity to elements, even without it my golems rarely die. And if they do it wasn't due to elemental damage anyways, it's usually chaos or physical where the immunity was pointless. Again I'm not saying at the extreme end game this won't be an issue, but considering it takes a second to cast a pair of golems(spell echo), even if they die it's not an issue unless you're playstyle is dying at the boss and grabbing a sandwich while they finish killing him for you.

As far as life/ES goes, I'm still experimenting. Originally I just used a hybrid build with about 6k effective health and was doing pretty well and tha was un-optimized. I got a hold of a Shav's revelation ring and so I've decided to mess around with some Frankenstein build. Running eldritch battery with MoM(not the nodes behind it) and so my energy shield can now regen at 3%, it covers my mana so it now takes the MoM 30% of damage and it lets me reserve my entire mana pool. I've ran different variations but right now I'm dual blasphemy curse in a Heretic's along with discipline and vitality(mostly for uber lab traps). The numbers show a smaller EHP, but it still feels just as tanky. I can flask immediately since I don't have to wait for my ES to empty before my health is touched which is a very nice thing indeed. I still need to get my life up a bit but I'm enjoying it so far. I think this weekend I may try a life/ES hybrid with MoM and and drop one of my auras, combined with some nice mana nodes it should be enough to suck up that extra damage.

As for playstyle, I just run through or next to packs of mobs to give them temp chains/enfeeble and move to the next pack, the golems usually have them dead while I'm moving to the next pack. With CWDT and phase run I usually am phase running a lot of the time to I'm moving quickly. I have a decoy totem for rare packs or bosses if needbe and I drop my lightning ball for EE as well. I don't usually even both for more mobs as they die instantly anyways, the EE is overkill for most things. If I'm running flesh offering I just cast it on corpses to get the speed boost while running in between packs and it speeds up my golems too. I'm messing with bone offering for the tankyness right now, but it depends on my mood which one I run.

Anyways just some thoughts. I'm not an expert by any means and I'm still experimenting, but the point is there are many variations on Golem builds. Choose one that fits your playstle instead of just cookie cuttering one that seems "the best".
"
vageta31 wrote:
As a somewhat new Golemancer I figure I'll throw in my 2 cents with my experience so far. I've tried a few different configurations thus far and I prefer Necro to Elementalist. The elementalist feels like such a waste since the only 2 real things you're getting are the extra golem and their immunity to elemental damage. Which are 2 big things of course, but there is a lot of minion damage in the necro tree as well so at least up to tier 11 the damage of both seem like a bit of a wash. Also you get a lot of quality of life in the necro tree which also gives a bit more survivability. Flesh/Bone offering on yourself is a huge QoL for me. Bone offering works in a CWDT with desecrate, or I alternatively use flesh offering and just run around blowing up corpses getting that constant runspeed benefit for map clearing.

I've tried dual clayshapers as well as the Victario's charity and again I'm not seeing a huge difference in damage output while the shield gives other benefits. For general play your golems will nearly always have full frenzy/power charges which is a big boost to their mobility and damage output which makes up for the loss of another golem from clayshaper. As far as immunity to elements, even without it my golems rarely die. And if they do it wasn't due to elemental damage anyways, it's usually chaos or physical where the immunity was pointless. Again I'm not saying at the extreme end game this won't be an issue, but considering it takes a second to cast a pair of golems(spell echo), even if they die it's not an issue unless you're playstyle is dying at the boss and grabbing a sandwich while they finish killing him for you.

As far as life/ES goes, I'm still experimenting. Originally I just used a hybrid build with about 6k effective health and was doing pretty well and tha was un-optimized. I got a hold of a Shav's revelation ring and so I've decided to mess around with some Frankenstein build. Running eldritch battery with MoM(not the nodes behind it) and so my energy shield can now regen at 3%, it covers my mana so it now takes the MoM 30% of damage and it lets me reserve my entire mana pool. I've ran different variations but right now I'm dual blasphemy curse in a Heretic's along with discipline and vitality(mostly for uber lab traps). The numbers show a smaller EHP, but it still feels just as tanky. I can flask immediately since I don't have to wait for my ES to empty before my health is touched which is a very nice thing indeed. I still need to get my life up a bit but I'm enjoying it so far. I think this weekend I may try a life/ES hybrid with MoM and and drop one of my auras, combined with some nice mana nodes it should be enough to suck up that extra damage.

As for playstyle, I just run through or next to packs of mobs to give them temp chains/enfeeble and move to the next pack, the golems usually have them dead while I'm moving to the next pack. With CWDT and phase run I usually am phase running a lot of the time to I'm moving quickly. I have a decoy totem for rare packs or bosses if needbe and I drop my lightning ball for EE as well. I don't usually even both for more mobs as they die instantly anyways, the EE is overkill for most things. If I'm running flesh offering I just cast it on corpses to get the speed boost while running in between packs and it speeds up my golems too. I'm messing with bone offering for the tankyness right now, but it depends on my mood which one I run.

Anyways just some thoughts. I'm not an expert by any means and I'm still experimenting, but the point is there are many variations on Golem builds. Choose one that fits your playstle instead of just cookie cuttering one that seems "the best".

Absolutely awesome opinion and I love it. I guess I am not really looking for a cookie-cutter build more so opinion of someone that has played at higher maps for survivability. You guys must have been my good luck charm because I just not only 6-linked a Vaal Regalia but used my last Exalt and got a 600 ES roll with 30 fire res, 30 light res, and 30 CHAOS res... Ridiculous roll. That coupled with my Vertex Vaal Mask and couple other nodes, my chaos res is going to be super solid - can't tell you how excited I am.

Now I just need to figure out (since I went Elementalist) why this guy is doing all light golems instead of fire. I have always made fire builds and want to figure out why the benefit of using them over fire golems are. The AOE on fire golems cannot be beat so I would have to convince myself to switch for a very good reason.

I want your opinion on this... because the elementalist ascendancy node gives me 100 % increased buff on golem aura and 40 increased damage for every golem I have up, would it make much sense to go 4 flame, 1 chaos, and 1 light? I get cast speed and DR for each of the others. I also agree with you massively that I might drop one of the clayshappers for the Victarios. I would rather feel safe with phase run procing and consuming those charges than having another golem. I guess I could be wrong but that's my take.
"
dsata wrote:
Read everything and it makes sense but I don't understand your skill choices in the paste bin. Why do you have light golems as your main source of attack?

I play Lightning Golems as my main. They're superior against bosses (and inferior for low to mid-tier mapping). For Flame, the tree is basically the same. Just drop Avatar of Fire.

⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Aug 22, 2017, 10:05:32 PM
"
tomatopotato wrote:
"
dsata wrote:
Read everything and it makes sense but I don't understand your skill choices in the paste bin. Why do you have light golems as your main source of attack?

I play Lightning Golems as my main. They're superior against bosses (and inferior for low to mid-tier mapping). For Flame, the tree is basically the same. Just drop Avatar of Fire.

Do you suggest I run 3 flame, 1 chaos, and 1 light if I am not going to go all light?

Also what flask choices? We didn't talk about that at all.
Last edited by dsata on Aug 22, 2017, 9:59:14 PM
"
dsata wrote:
"
tomatopotato wrote:
"
dsata wrote:

Do you suggest I run 3 flame, 1 chaos, and 1 light if I am not going to go all light?

Also what flask choices? We didn't talk about that at all.

For mapping, feel free to use Chaos and/or Stone as your sub-golems. For megabosses, revert back to Elemental Golems (Chaos/Stone don't get immunity).

My twenty cents regarding flasks (again copypasta from my build thread):
Flasks

+ Mapping:
- - x of Warding
- - x of Dousing
- - x of Staunching
- - Quartz of Adrenaline (can use this on every pack almost)
- - your choice for 5th

+ Shaper:
- - a mix of Quartz and Quicksilver/Adrenaline
- - X of Staunching (if you want to run through regen phase)
- - X of Sapphire (when exiting Zana's bubble)

The Adrenaline and Quartz flasks help you speed through Shaper's regen phases. They also help out slightly in combination with your Sapphire flask at the end of "bullet hell" phases. Some of the "bullets", which do cold damage, linger for a bit, even after Zana's bubble dissipates. The Shaper also uses this as a window of opportunity to launch his next attack from offscreen sometimes, which is why this is probably the sketchiest part of the fight I think.

+ Hydra
- - a mix of anti-phys and Sapphire flasks
- - x of Adrenaline (to run behind Hydra faster)

+ Minotaur
- - a mix of anti-phys and Topaz
- - (flasks won't help you much in this fight imo)

+ Phoenix
- - a mix of anti-phys and Ruby/Dousing
- - x of Adrenaline (to run away faster from Firebomb in a Temp Chains map)

+ Chimera
- - x of Staunching
- - anti-phys
- - Quicksilver of Adrenaline

With the exception of Chimera, it's better to just focus on avoiding hits rather than worrying about what flasks to pop against Guardians. But if you can work good flask usage into your game, more power to you.

+ Uber Atziri
- - Topaz of Warding (vs. Storm Calls and curse reflection)
- - Ruby of Dousing (practice dousing before you get hit)
- - Ruby of Dousing
- - Granite/Basalt of Staunching (stop spearing me, Atziri)
- - Quicksilver of Adrenaline (to run from double Flameblast)

If you have the resources, I suggest practicing with Normal Atziri by removing all your damage support gems, chopping off 2 or 3k ES, and trying to get in the habit of anticipating when to flask up. I don't have a lot of experience with this fight, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but my feeling is that her Flameblasts are more dangerous than the Storm Calls, which is why I pack more Ruby than Topaz and run Purity of Fire instead of Lightning.

Re: ELE or NEC
Damage is more or less the same on HC. For SC Elementalist DPS is superior after you stack enough Primordial Harmony.

Survivability (and please take my personal opinion with a grain of salt) seems like advantage NEC on paper with the obvious self-Bone Offering ability. But there is also an advantage to the hassle-free nature of ELE immunity. Just set it, forget it, and focus more on your own situation (including passive point allocation) and manual dodging (the understated and #1 source of mitigation in the game). Remember, there are certain extreme endgame situations where golems can potentially die to elemental damage. In those situations, you don't want to be hassling with Offerings for your golems. Your own awareness will save you from being insta-gibbed back to Standard far more than block/armor/eva/dodge numbers, which are not 100% reliable defense mechanisms (something I'm sure you're already aware of).
⚡ Lightning Golems:
/1902593
⛄ Ice Golems:
/1914382
Last edited by tomatopotato on Aug 22, 2017, 10:41:18 PM
Hey guys - so currently level 82 and got about 9000 total EHP - 2.5k in life and 6.5k in ES. Definitely seeing the ES/Life build SUPER strong and much stronger than a straight life build. I just did my first t11 map and it felt pretty good - I was even cursed with Elemental Weakness and was able to take damage from double bosses that were corrupted in Underground Sea. I absolutely love the shield option as the charges in the golems help out massively - still not sure whether I want to drop the node, get more life/es, and put another Clayshapper on. Not having clear problems and my gems are not even at level 20 yet (outside the golem I bought). I also did Uber lab quite a few times and it feels pretty dang good. ES-based builds against traps are absolutely amazing - if I had 100 % life build I would have died over and over which ultimately is not good for a HC hero :).

Can anyone take a look at my gear and let me know if they see any improvements? There is a lot of little things I noticed like I wish I didn't slam the armor on the reflection crap and got life - would have been ideal but the armor is still solid as it takes me to above -res on Chaos overall and Chaos damage against me is minimal. Wish I got a slightly better belt but still super solid as it takes me to max res. I wish I can upgrade my ring but I need the massive str/dex rolls on it because of gear. Would rather take it on an item than use my nodes which could take away life/es. I also could use a better Ventors or maybe drop it all together because the stats are not that great - again, I am at above max on all res so ventors and biscos ammy are free slots. If I took off the rings and ammy - got better life/es rolls, I bet I can get close to 10k easy.

Lastly, I still cannot run a second curse because the discipline + temp chains take up most of the mana pool. So question to you guys here - if I take out enhance support, I can run all 3 things - disc, temp chains, and enfeeble. Would you do that? If so, what other gem should I use in there? Maybe put in disc in the helm as well and take out enhance support all together?

Any feedback to improve would be awesome.
Bumping this for the boys in the thread :) - any help?
"
dsata wrote:
Hey guys - happy Monday.

I want to make a primordial flame golem build again and wondering what you guys think in terms of items? Given the ES nerfs, is it better to go life or would it be viable to go as ES still? I have over 500c on hardcore through my trades (just lost my char last night) so I have plenty of currency to make the build I just need advice on survivability.

Looking forward to some help from the team here!

I feel like Hybrid is pretty strong right now, I Have been using it to great success. consider trying this build out: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1827487

Good start is to buy your Prim. Might(Dont buy anima's they're 20c overpriced) Sell a Might, harmony and eminence to a vendor and youll get the anima stone. it's a recipe. Then just stack anima stone + Harmonies. some people like to put a might in place of harmonies(For golems are aggressive, which just makes them shoot further and engage quicker) but might is by no means mandatory and slightly nerfs your Increased golem dmg.
Thanks for the reply man but I know all the basics - 83 HC right now just looking for some opinions on gear and as stated above some of the stats.
"
dsata wrote:
Hey guys - happy Monday.

I want to make a primordial flame golem build again and wondering what you guys think in terms of items? Given the ES nerfs, is it better to go life or would it be viable to go as ES still? I have over 500c on hardcore through my trades (just lost my char last night) so I have plenty of currency to make the build I just need advice on survivability.

Looking forward to some help from the team here!

ES will eventually be better, not caring about chaos damage means you have some suffix free, you can move resist or stats around for MF, but ES is far far more expensive. In legacy league, my golementalist had really good gear, 1k ES (dual wield clay shpaer), now in SC that char has 9.5k but with some skill points quest not complete, so should be 10k or something like that, from building it in legacy I can say 10k es is totally fine for a golem summoner, you don't get big hits very often, as long as your golems live, you can live.

But getting 10k es is the challenge now, from 1-10, 10k use to be a whole set of 7s, now it's a lot of 9 and certain 10, considering you need at least two primordial might to form the build, getting those numbers are expensive.
Last edited by TravisL on Aug 27, 2017, 5:04:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info